Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Political betting thread

Options
  • 14-06-2020 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭

A thread for those of us who like the odd flutter on political events and to discuss what bets you have down and what you're thinking of backing.

Just looking across my account I dont have much at the moment but heres a run down

Have Kamala Harris backed at 3/1 to be Bidens pick for Vice President. Biden said he is going to pick a female and she fits pretty well. She is now down to 11/10 favourite so Im hoping this one comes in

I've Joe Biden backed to be the next President at 12/1 last November. At that time it was a triple bet on whether he would actually run, if he would win the Democratic nomination and now finally if he can win the Presidency. He is down to 10/11 favourite now but theres still 5 months to go and theres always an October Surprise . Trump has gone out to 6/4 which for anyone who thinks he will win is good value in a two horse race. I think I might put just enough money on Trump now just so I can make the Biden bet cost neutral in the event of Trump actually winning.

Backed Catherine Martin during the week for next Green party leader at 11/4. That was right after Eamon Ryans gaffe in the Dail and all the Green party councillors piled on him. I think she can win the leadership contest as a lot of members are just sick of him at this stage. He still has support but I think she can usurp him. She is down to 5/2 now which is still good value in a two horse race. I think she has the support of a lot of younger Greens who are members of the party in big numbers. The next few weeks will be interesting here.

One bet that wont be coming in is Oprah Winfrey for President at 20/1 :o In my defence it was just a wild punt after she made that speech at the Oscars criticising Trump and many people were encouraging her to run. She didnt rule it out until several weeks later so its likely she was thinking of running during that time.

Another loser was Aodhan o'Riordan at 13/1 to be next Labour party leader. That was a triple bet as he first had to win a Dail seat, then run for leader and also to win it. I tuned into the live stream of the Labour hustings on Youtube and within three minutes of listening to his waffle I knew this bet was goosed, he was absolutely useless at convincing the membership he was the right man for the job.

So what bets do others have on or are thinking of backing. Is anyone looking at individual state by state odds in the US election. I wouldnt normally take notice but think I'll keep an eye on it this year

Advertisement