Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving a Big Wooden Shed

• 08-06-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all,

Our Shed needs to be moved as its in our sunspot and with lockdown, I will need this space for when people will come and visit so we can all social distance together.

Anyone have any idea how to move a wooden shed of size 18F v 12F with gallvanise roof (this prob needs insulating after).

Whats the best approach? I can't afford a builder and I could get a few extra hands.

Advice very welcome!

Comments

I moved a 12ft x 16ft shed about two years ago. I considered all the options and looked at all the DIY guides. I eventually decided the sensible thing was to hire a crane to come and move it. Cost me about €500 at the time, but the shed made it without any issues whatsoever. Took about an hour all in all, and was well worth it.

They used steel bars (can't think of the actual name of them) to lift it from underneath. But my shed is plastered inside, has electricity connected, pvc windows/doors etc, so i wanted to keep it in good condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I moved an empty 8*6 shed a few years ago by screwing some long wood to it and with the help of a friend or two we lifted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It depends on how it's grounded. Is it just sitting on blocks? At 12' x 16' there'll be a fair amount of weight in that. Might have to lift off the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eeinke

@SmartinMartin, yes its elevated on blocks from the ground concrete. I'm thinking we may have to lift off roof and take down sides - dismantle and put together but I'm worried then we may have more issues.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dismantling it wouldn't be too hard, you just need to take care not to damage it in the process. You probably wouldn't need to strip it right down, just into bits that you can comfortably lift.

How old is the shed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

If you can gather a few friends to lift the roof off your laughing. If you're lucky the rafters are screwed to the wall plate. It may be stapled which will mean you'll need crowbars. As said above it'll be easy enough with many hands. If you're setting it up on grass consider putting down a damp membrane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I moved a 8x6 shed with 4 decent lads. We just lifted it up and went for a walk. I would recommend a few plants of 4x2 screws to the shed frame (at hip hight) and with 6 lads walk it to it's new home. The up side of using the timber is that you can put it down if it's to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

You might need 8 lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

keithdub wrote: »
    You might need 8 lads

8 lads, 2 meters apart, so 8 meters out from end of each end:D

I moved one years ago, 12 by 8
    using one of these
    https://www.handyhardware.ie/Stanley-Precision-Pry-Bar-Claw-12in-0-55-115_p_46191.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjww_f2BRC-ARIsAP3zarGmdBwtd_DjMC7itr86Zc8jXSClMGv1K5IqfAYXTfqze6fsqJSTA3MaAmB7EALw_wcB
    I pulled all the connecting nails and replaced then with coach screws so as on the day of the move it was really easy to take it apart.

The felted roof was the heavy part so I doubled up on the inside with more rafters, stitched them across with 8mm bolts with Tee nuts and then use the track saw to slice each roof panel in two, with the blade just cutting the felt and the roof boards.
    Yes it took time to prep but it worked.
    Years later my brother in law took it as I was moving house, the coach screws were still in place.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement