Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Made redundant today

Options
  • 28-05-2020 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I was made redundant today. Am gutted. Have been lucky as I never have before. I started a new job in February but due to Covid, I was told today that I am "considered" for redundancy. Will have a meeting next week to discuss but was basically told as I am last in, I am first out.

Where do I go from here? I have never been out of a job. Have been working for 20 years...I am the main earner too so I am terrified

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all

I was made redundant today. Am gutted. Have been lucky as I never have before. I started a new job in February but due to Covid, I was told today that I am "considered" for redundancy. Will have a meeting next week to discuss but was basically told as I am last in, I am first out.

Where do I go from here? I have never been out of a job. Have been working for 20 years...I am the main earner too so I am terrified

Feeling for you but you will be hopefully compensated from the job.

If not it's a fight.

You will be eligible for covid payment so put in as soon as you're out.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Feeling for you but you will be hopefully compensated from the job.

If not it's a fight.

You will be eligible for covid payment so put in as soon as you're out.

Best of luck

Doubt I'll get anything from job though. I am only there since February 2020. Didn't even pass my 6 months probation...bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

Hi all

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your job loss.

My advice would be quickly assess what your skills are your strongest and apply for jobs in sectors that might be doing ok.

Keep trying and get your foot in the door somewhere even if it's not the ideal job.

Best of luck

Arealred

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Doubt I'll get anything from job though. I am only there since February 2020. Didn't even pass my 6 months probation...bastards

No they'll give nothing.

Sorry really am and can fully appreciate how hard it is and will be for those like yourself.

All you can do is get out there and try....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Any chance you can call your last employer and see if they have anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Sorry to hear that OP.

Whatever you decide to do make sure the job gives you a reason to get up and get in. Nothing worse than taking a soul destroying job just for the sake of work.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys.

Where do I go from here ? Do I get dole or Covid payment ? Is Covid payment only until September? Then what ? Am clueless !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sorry to hear that - it sucks, and is especially hard now when few are hiring.

If you've got a considered / consulted process going on, then there might be some payoff, even though it's not legally required. Ask about it anyway. You've nothing to lose - but don't count of it.

You should get paid out for a notice period (at least 1 week) and a few days leave (4 month = 1/3 of a year = about 6 days annual leave entitlement.).

Use tomorrow and the weekend to get to grips with the news, and think about your income and assets. Do you have mortgage-protection insurance? Savings to last for a few months? Any side-gigs?

On Tuesday, start making enquiries with your last job, and with industry contacts. Jobs may not be advertised, but some places have vacancies for unexpected things at the moment (including short term cover for people who cannot work at the moment due to family issuees.)

The day after you finish up, visit the Welfare office. Ask about PUP (ie Covid dole) and Job Seekers.

Most importantly, keep a positive attitude. You WILL find a solution. Believing this is an important part of making it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Thanks guys.

Where do I go from here ? Do I get dole or Covid payment ? Is Covid payment only until September? Then what ? Am clueless !

Very sorry to hear about your situation. Many companies are suffering badly so try not to take it personally. Some good suggestions here re contacting your old company if feasible. Waste no time in looking or applying - it may be a hard slog.

Regarding the redundancy - take it. It is their way of sweetening the deal and as you know they are obliged to give you nothing. Try and get payment in lieu of all overtime worked and holidays pay - every little helps.

No doubt if you have been working for 20 years it will be the contribution/stamps based payment you be be applying for - the social welfare office will advise you . One is calculated on PAYE payments based on employee contributions in the last tax year - you need so many weeks. If you don’t have this because of career break you can apply for the jobseekers allowance instead which is means tested. I woild ring citizens advice and check with them the number of weeks needed and from what year to when. It changed some years back. If you have to apply for the allowance you are allowed have a certain amount in your bank account - it used be 40k or so. Check with citizens advice before you go
    to the welfare office. With the redundancy payment and pst savings you may find yourself over this amount and find it best to repay debts or oay a hunk off your mortgage before applying to the social welfare office.

Its a dreadful situation to be in and very hard to stomach but tey and apply for the unemployment within a day or so of your final day. It is soul destroying and demeaning but you have worked hard and paid in for the benefit so don’t let it go without claiming it. Should you leave it a few days ask for the payment to be backdated to when you were let go - you specifically have to apply for them to backdate it ( which they could choose not to do) otherwise they will leave you short. It’s 800-1,000 a month and you will find money can slide by quickly so look after the bottom line and make sure you claim. You may find you can now also apply for medical cards for yourself and your children so ask about that too - they are typically means teated but your kids might get the free medical bills paid and care - useful to have in your back pocket now.

I’m very sorry to hear this has happened to
    you - 2.5 million people signed on in the USA as a result if the Covid so you are not alone. Look after yourself and reLly take a look at your costs and start a budget line now - it may be a long haul and you will appreciate it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Hi all

Really sorry to hear about your situation. If you feel you will feel better keeping busy, look into work you could currently do that you feel would be safe, if you feel you need time to contemplate your next step, then look into payments as there is the covid payment most likely for your situation and you deserve to get it. You will find something else, you may need to deviate depending on your line of work but don't worry, you will get something else and you never know you may look back and say this job change was a good thing, hard to see now but think about what you may like to do in the future. No harm using the time if you can get the payment to contemplate which areas you think will have more work due to this crisis and deviate a bit if possible. I hope you find something and while you're waiting, look after yourself. It will all work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Sorry to hear OP. Sorry for hijacking thread but feel it is coming down the line for myself as well. Am in the place 6 years, have a feeling lads that started within the last year may be kept on as they are on a lower wage. Is there any legal way etc around how companies have to choose who to make redundant and procedure to follow?

Chin up chief. It's gonna be tough for most in the next while but we are mostly in it together. You will get through this.

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear OP. Sorry for hijacking thread but feel it is coming down the line for myself as well. Am in the place 6 years, have a feeling lads that started within the last year may be kept on as they are on a lower wage. Is there any legal way etc around how companies have to choose who to make redundant and procedure to follow?

Any redundancy process must be fair and equitable. If you have the same job title as the person with one year they, cannot decide to automatically let those with longer service go ahead of those with shorter service. Process must be transparent and you have the right to be made aware of the criteria. That’s why companies often just go with last in first out or voluntary redundancy. It’s the simplest. Often though people with longer service may have a different job title reflecting experience, and it can be decided to bias the cuts to the more senior layers to take out the better paid. In the current situation I would not be too worried about that though. The biggest problems companies have at the moment is short term cash flow, and even though in the long run they will pay you more, in the short term they will have a hefty redundancy bill to pay by targeting longer term employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Nothing to add but best wishes and if it's a finance type role drop me a PM and might be able to help.

Thanks folks.

I'm only there 15 or so weeks so doubt I'll get a payoff. I'm thinking maybe paid for 2 weeks !

There is a considered process going on.

Do I apply for Covid then when that is finished (September) , its dole ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Thanks folks.

I'm only there 15 or so weeks so doubt I'll get a payoff. I'm thinking maybe paid for 2 weeks !

There is a considered process going on.

Do I apply for Covid then when that is finished (September) , its dole ??

Could you ask the company if it would be possible for them to furlough you? Depending on your current wages etc it could be the financially best outcome and if business picks up you are still technically employed.
    Without knowing exact circumstances it is hard to judge. If you approach them with a " if you go into the furlough arrangement you still have me available and it should cost you nothing " kind of thing it both shows initiative and an ability to think outside the norms.

Best of luck whatever you do.

Hi OP. Sorry to hear that. A bit of an exercise for you to do which might help alleviate some of the stress right now- it’s called Locus of control which you may well of heard before. Draw a circle in the centre of a page- that’s your sphere of control. Now draw a bigger circle around that circle- that’s your sphere of influence- then draw a a bigger circle again around that circle - that’s the area outside of your control
    Now, start populating the inner circle with all the actions and activities you can do and are within your control- ie updating your CV- reaching out to people on LinkedIn, creating a thread for advice on boards ;)

Then look at your sphere of influence- the middle circle-these are activities which while not totally in your control may prove worthwhile if others cooperate or help you - ie like the suggestion above re asking for “furlough” etc
    The outer sphere are those things that you have no control over- have a think about those - you may find that some of those things do actually have an element of control or influence - but once you determine its out of your control try concentrating on practical steps in the two other circles to help you move forward- there’s some great courses run by universities for those out of work- and I mean proper certificates and diplomas qualifications with real knowledge and skills taught which may help you up skill and get ready for when jobs appear in your field of work.
    You’re not alone; there’s 100,000’s in the same boat as you right now; there will be better days ahead; in the meantime concentrate on activities that are constructive and help you seize back feeling of control

Advertisement