Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cavity Block ‘Wall’ in garden

• 23-05-2020 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking of building a low wall with cavity blocks, maybe 3 or 4 high, in the garden and filling the cavities with soil and flowers.

Just placing blocks on top of each other. There’d be no structural support.

Is there be a danger of it falling over?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭con747

Short answer is yes.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Thanks.
    So I shouldn’t do it?!
    What if it was just 2 blocks high?

Are you literally just placing them on top of each other? No cement or anything to hold them together?

If so it'll fall over the minute anyone puts any kind of pressure on it. Unless you make it tight against a wall, so it's more difficult to knock it over, but it will still just fall over the minute you pull at it (or a child does, naturally you're likely to go pulling it over yourself)

*not my photo, belongs to Pinterest
    b6c387ae6b57ea5c85e2a3629caa16b8.jpg

(but even on that, if you stood on one of the steps, the rest of the wall may buckle and separate, causing partial collapse, as your weight would cause the block to press up on the inside, effectively trying to catapult the higher bricks).

Just something I hoped to do myself, so no cement. It’d be in an open area with very little traffic, but I wouldn’t want a block falling on the dog or anything.

I really like the example in that picture. But mine would be a lot simpler with just a straight row of blocks.

Nothing is ever as simple as I first think in the garden!

Addle wrote: »
    Just something I hoped to do myself, so no cement. It’d be in an open area with very little traffic, but I wouldn’t want a block falling on the dog or anything.

I really like the example in that picture. But mine would be a lot simpler with just a straight row of blocks.

You could just make planters out of wood. It would be fairly cheap.

• Advertisement

You should give it a shot with some cement. 10-15 minutes on youtube, and a bag of 'readymix' and you're away. Cost a pittance (unless shops have ramped up the prices due to Covid?) and you'd be surprised how quickly you'll learn something new.

And if it doesn't work out the way you wanted it to, you're down very little money and can just break the cement on the blocks and throw it in the bin.

Not as daunting as I thought after watching this. I’ll give it a go. Thank you.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0q_2VuFUOI
    Now I think I’ll need to dig foundations...

con747 wrote: »
    You could just make planters out of wood. It would be fairly cheap.

It’s as much about the masonry wall as the planting for me.

It’s as much about the masonry wall as the planting for me.

If you attempt a block one make sure you research foundation dept and materials needed, also the hardest part will be keeping it level and straight. I have built walls before and it is easy if done right. Good luck :)

• Advertisement

Oh well. I give up!

Oh well. I give up!

Have a look here https://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Cinder-Block-Wall and on YouTube before throwing the towel in. If you think you could do it, Then give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Build a dry stone wall instead. It'll look better and won't fall over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Oh well. I give up!

12 posts in is too soon to give up.:)

Your original idea was a single row placed long ways as normal blocks are laid, giving you a 9' wide wall which would be unstable.
    However if you place them sideways they will much more stable.

The attached might give you some ideas, you may not have the room.

If you had a good compacted hard core base, level, then you can get bags of premixed plaster that would be easy to work with.
    Juts bitter the sides of the block where thy meet, I would not try put mortar between the rows, too hard as blocks will be upside down
    be aware that 9" hollow blocks are not light and the block work will dry out rapido unless you line the holes or use small plastic pots or perforated plastic bottles or milk cartons in the holes .

Have fun and take care

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks all for the advice and the encouragement, but it’s a lot more work than I am willing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Thanks all for the advice and the encouragement, but it’s a lot more work than I am willing to do.

It's a minimal amount of work few hours at most, sense of satisfaction would be worth it. Turn off the TV and the phone for half a day, amazing what can be achieved

Personally, I'd see is it possible to just cement the bottom block to the ground (assuming it's going on a solid surface and not on grass). Might give it enough 'grip' to avoid tumbling over. Will only work up to a certain height though, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd go with a variation of Calahondas idea.

1 row of blocks perpendicular to the wall direction, with another row on top parallel to the wall.
    You can put the top row in the centre or on the edge, depending on if you want planting on both sides.

If you want to go higher than 2 (without cement) then you need to make the base wider.
    You could get to 3 layers by having 2 bricks end on end on the bottom (parallel) and then just continue as per my first example.

3 blocks high and no danger of falling over.

You could buy some rebar and bury it down between the opening of the blocks to tie them together, but if only soil inside its more of a token effort.

one other thing to be aware of, those blocks will drain very quickly, so you will need to be constantly watering whatever you put in it. (think teracotta on steroids)

Advertisement