Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shredder opinions

Options
  • 23-05-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a garden shredder. I have a huge pile of stuff as a result of a big clear up, mostly shrubs and brash from trees. I was thinking of hiring one, but I will need something in future anyway so going to buy. Three I'm interested in are this Bosch AXT 25TC
    https://cpcireland.farnell.com/bosch/axt-25-tc/garden-shredder-quiet-2500w-45mm/dp/SI17924#anchorTechnicalDOCS
    and two Stihl models, the GHE 250 and the GHE 355.
    I will have a mix of wood and greens, mostly small, but a good bit of it.
    Anyone have any experience or preference with these? I know that there are price differences, but I want to get the best I can and be done with it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have the Bosch. It's OK. The build quality is a bit "consumer". It is, however, very slow going compared to a big diesel shredder.

I've spent hours feeding it. If you can maintain a zen like state of shredding for hours without losing your mind, it might be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,675 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'd want alot of spare time to feed a shredder. I secretly hate mine with a passion.

It's boring and frustrating in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I just use the lawnmower and go over stuff, several times if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have a 2200w shredder, like the ones Homebase would sell.

It's great for stuff that isn't too heavy, branches up to 40mm thick or so. Can't handle anything thicker.

It has saved me a lot of space chopping up fallen branches in storms, or thinning out stuff in clean-ups.

But It is rubbish with leaves. Or anything like fir that would secrete. It really struggles with those and they often block it up.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Lumen wrote: »

Thanks fo that, was considering one, other videos made results looks a bit better. I guess usable for stuff going into compost bin, but a bit rough for just spreading on beds...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

listermint wrote: »
    You'd want alot of spare time to feed a shredder. I secretly hate mine with a passion.

Yes, and that's part of the reason I didn't want to hire one for the pile I have just now. Big ones with high throughput are expensive per day, and smaller ones are slower, so need to hire for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Lumen wrote: »
    If you can maintain a zen like state of shredding for hours without losing your mind, it might be a good choice.
    Luckily my ear protectors have a radio built-in, so that helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Hi I bought one in B and Q. Very handy. Just two weak points.
    It's top heavy on narrow gauge wheels. Be careful when moving it about.

Secondly the restrictors at the feed make it a bit awkward to get awkward shaped wood into it and causes leafy stuff to block up the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

https://youtu.be/ASY2jdWaD44

Not as tedious, I bought on not expecting much, but it's been great for 2 years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭secman

I have the Bosch one , bought it about 10 yrs ago, tend to do one big job over the Autumn every year. It is tedius work by its nature. But it gives me my brown for the compost bins. Handy that i can pull it out on odd ocassions too after a wind event. Looking at the price of them now ...from memory it cost me half that 10 yrs ago !
    Still reckon it was a good investment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

copacetic wrote: »
    Thanks fo that, was considering one, other videos made results looks a bit better. I guess usable for stuff going into compost bin, but a bit rough for just spreading on beds...

I've the Homebase equivalent model and find it does the job albeit slowly. The chippings are fine for spreading on beds, particularly under trees as a natural weed deterrent. Lost a couple of branches of my fuschia in the storm on Friday so they'll be going in today along with a few other bits and bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I had a Stihl one once, and loved it. Took wood up to about 2ins across - perfect for shrubby twigs and thinner branches.

Leafy greenstuff can be composted and big timber can be cut into firewood. The shredder turned whatever was left into bark-mulch for paths etc. Saved a huge lot of space, storage etc. It wasn't slow but it was loud.

It was eventually stolen. I'd love another one but they are dear. That one cost about 300 fifteen years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,826 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I have the homebase one, it's grand, but can only take small branches, it's true about being unable to deal with leaves, it clogs easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I have this Petrol Hyundai https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/garden-machinery/wood-chippers/hyundai-hych6560-196-cc-60mm-petrol-4-stroke-garden-wood-chipper-shredder/

hyc6560-02.jpg

Its ideal for what I do which is chip a lot of willow branches. It is just a chipper not as shredder even though they call it a chipper shredder. What it won't do is soft material, hedge clippings and anything with soil in it. The narrow chute means anything not long and a bit woody gets stuck at the narrowest point of the chute. If anyone wants anymore info on it just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I got mine second-hand about 6 or 7 years ago for £20.

Still going strong.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I have this Petrol Hyundai https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/garden-machinery/wood-chippers/hyundai-hych6560-196-cc-60mm-petrol-4-stroke-garden-wood-chipper-shredder/

hyc6560-02.jpg

Its ideal for what I do which is chip a lot of willow branches. It is just a chipper not as shredder even though they call it a chipper shredder. What it won't do is soft material, hedge clippings and anything with soil in it. The narrow chute means anything not long and a bit woody gets stuck at the narrowest point of the chute. If anyone wants anymore info on it just ask.

My one which is identical is great brambles and hedge clippings as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

monkeynuz wrote: »
    My one which is identical is great brambles and hedge clippings as well.

Anything thats long and thin like brambles feed great but it will only take small hedge clippings a little at a time before they start getting stuck down at the bottom of the chute.

I can easily feed our fuchsia hedge cuttings through but only because I cut the fuchsia to the ground every couple of years and feed the individual stems. A barrow load of fushia clippings block it up in no time.

I recently trimmed a load of black thorn - not a chance unless I turn each clipping into a matchstick before I feed it through the chipper.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Anything thats long and thin like brambles feed great but it will only take small hedge clippings a little at a time before they start getting stuck down at the bottom of the chute.

I can easily feed our fuchsia hedge cuttings through but only because I cut the fuchsia to the ground every couple of years and feed the individual stems. A barrow load of fushia clippings block it up in no time.

I recently trimmed a load of black thorn - not a chance unless I turn each clipping into a matchstick before I feed it through the chipper.

Keep your blades sharp, just a slight rub with an oil stone or diamond stone.

Also when feeding soft stuff through, I find a few long bits of birch or willow help to draw it through.

Also with blockages I manage to clear most by using a leaf blower while the chipper is still running blowing alternately down the feed chute then the discharge chute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

johnb25 wrote: »

I wonder how different that is to the unit that B&Q / Screwfix offer ? ( apart from the sticker price )

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-mshp2800d-2-2800w-100kg-hr-shredder-220-240v/727fg

I have one from Screwfix. Its OK. Lidl used to have them as a special ( but no great saving over Screwfix ). Wont shred leaves ( would you want to ? ). Works grand for small garden stuff. Obviously the units that the tree guys have are in a different league. Horses for courses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

smacl wrote: »
    I've the Homebase equivalent model and find it does the job albeit slowly. The chippings are fine for spreading on beds, particularly under trees as a natural weed deterrent. Lost a couple of branches of my fuschia in the storm on Friday so they'll be going in today along with a few other bits and bobs.

Just FYI, the fuschia was very sappy and a total pain to shred on the kit I've got. I'd some more trimming to do which I've left if dry out for a couple of days and reckon will be grand now. Looking at Lumen's picture of the Bosch and the grinder angle I reckon it would be a better bet than the Homebase one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

smacl wrote: »
    ..... I've left if dry out for a couple of days and reckon will be grand now.......

I do this. Sometimes for a few weeks. Its easier to shred and the water content is reduced. Most of the shredding I'd do is brought to recycling so less water means less weight to carry around :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I had a Bosch one a few years ago.....AXT Rapid 2200. Gave it away eventually.........clog clog clog.......pain in the jacksie opening it up and unclogging it.

Going to buy a Stihl GXE 355 (electric) shortly. Seems to be a good reliable job. Anyone have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I found a shredder in Lidl a couple of weeks ago! For a hundred and thirty smackers. Works just fine.

Rather a cheap-looking design, like a green chassis on top of a plastic crate, but has been happily chewing up holly, ivy and fuchsia for me, no problems so far!

Nah......just bought the Bosch AXT 25TC after many reviews on YT. Seems good enough, cheaper also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I found a shredder in Lidl a couple of weeks ago! For a hundred and thirty smackers. Works just fine.

Rather a cheap-looking design, like a green chassis on top of a plastic crate, but has been happily chewing up holly, ivy and fuchsia for me, no problems so far!

We have that one, though the price seems to have gone up. It has munched its way through a mountain of brambles, branches etc. It needs the 'cutter' bit tightened to take fresh brambles. It will take surprisingly thick branches - if they will go through the hole they will shred. Makes excellent woodchip - depending a bit on what is shredded. Softer stuff looks a bit messy but drier wood/twigs/branches make very good mulch. Either way the volume reduction is worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have the macallister one, it's absolutely fine for the job.
    the hopper is translucent on it, not sure why bosch put an opaque one on - it might look better, but it's not going to be as easy to keep an eye on how full the hopper is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I found a shredder in Lidl a couple of weeks ago! For a hundred and thirty smackers.

130 :eek:

Mine was 80. In fact, when I saw them stacked up in Lidl a few months back, they were still 80 (new cutter design, but same overall size and shape).

I looked at the Bosch AXT at the time I bought mine and couldn't see any real justification for paying four times the price. I asked the guy in the shop (not Lidl!) what I'd be getting for the extra money compared to the cheapy ones on display and all he could come up with was "a better 'chip' more suitable for decorative uses".

All-in-all, the biggest factor when it comes to getting good results appears to be what others have pointed out: letting the material dry for a while (days/weeks) before running it through the machine. Depending on the cutter design, it may also be better to do thick material separately to the thin stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

i have the macallister one, it's absolutely fine for the job.
    the hopper is translucent on it, not sure why bosch put an opaque one on - it might look better, but it's not going to be as easy to keep an eye on how full the hopper is?

I have this one too. It's great for branches up to about 1.5 inches thick. I felled a massive tree in my front garden. Was able to get the majority of the branches into about 3 black sacks after chipping them.

• Advertisement

Beast.

Shredding yesterday and got my fix today also. Green and brown, straight through......no issues.

You can "feel" the torque.

Advertisement