Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir master socket & aDSL/vDSL faceplate?

Options
  • 14-05-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Anybody know where I could buy one of the Eir master sockets online. All I can find is BT compatible ones.

Problem with phone and broadband continuously dropping out. I suspect its the ancient TE master socket, junction and wire in between which has seen better days (1980's installation!). Problem is Eir technicians will not step inside the door due to Covid-19. They say the line is perfect to there, so was thinking of joining in a CAT5e cable at the old junction box inside the door and running it to a new master socket.

Also, the old oval junction box inside the door is connected to ground. Is that still necessary as new installations appear to just connect directly to the master socket. Would it be ok to just connect up the cat5 pair directly to the incoming thick copper pair, bypassing the earth connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

The Cush wrote: »

Thanks for that. Any thoughts on the earth wire from old oval junction box? Necessary or no longer needed with modern systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,834 ✭✭✭CoBo55

LostInLM wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Any thoughts on the earth wire from old oval junction box? Necessary or no longer needed with modern systems?

Would the earth give lightning protection? I lost two phones and a router over the years when I was using the landline.

Any thoughts on the earth wire from old oval junction box? Necessary or no longer needed with modern systems?

Have the same here, did some work here recently including running new phone line to the phone socket and kept the junction box and earth wire in place. Safer option in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Would the earth give lightning protection? I lost two phones and a router over the years when I was using the landline.

APC sell in line protectors that you ground, if your line is a lightning magnet these are a good idea to some extent but your house may still go on fire. Ideally you'd fit an arrester outside the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,834 ✭✭✭CoBo55

ED E wrote: »
    APC sell in line protectors that you ground, if your line is a lightning magnet these are a good idea to some extent but your house may still go on fire. Ideally you'd fit an arrester outside the building.

I'm with VM the last few years so don't have the landline in beyond the master socket.

The Cush wrote: »

Quick question. For this type of NTU, Is there an option to take a feed of the filtered broadband signal from the face plate like described here : https://telecomgreen.co.uk/engineering/move-bt-master-socket-without-actually-moving-advice-telephone-engineer/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quick question. For this type of NTU, Is there an option to take a feed of the filtered broadband signal from the face plate like described here : https://telecomgreen.co.uk/engineering/move-bt-master-socket-without-actually-moving-advice-telephone-engineer/

Thats kind of a contradiction. You filter the broadband out of the phone port, the broadband port is unfiltered.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats kind of a contradiction. You filter the broadband out of the phone port, the broadband port is unfiltered.

I get what your saying. I'm just going by what's in that blog post. Can only assume it filters out the frequency range aDSL works in and passes it out the AB pins he mentions.

Quick question. For this type of NTU, Is there an option to take a feed of the filtered broadband signal from the face plate like described here

Unfortunately I don't know, I've never used this model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Last time I needed an eir socket after a lightning strike, I pulled up beside an Eir van and the guy (sound bloke) gave me one.

Probably not something that would work as well at the moment but you get the gist.

Jim

Advertisement