Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Alone

Options
  • 13-05-2020 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Advise needed.

Would you be comfortable leaving a 12yo and 8yo at home from 8-330 everyday ?

Work commitments, no school and with covid not really much options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Deedee3 wrote: »
    Advise needed.

No.

For an hour here and there I’d say no bother. But not from 8-3. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

No.

I agree no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No way. You're asking a child to be responsible for a child. If anything happened you'd never forgive yourself. An hour maybe. But full days are a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

No.

This! No way and can’t believe you are even considering that as an option tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Definitely no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Deedee3 wrote: »
    Advise needed.

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Clearly a thread by somebody who has never seen the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Not for a working day. Maybe while I popped to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Resounding no, I have both a 12 year old and an 8 year old and I couldn't and wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Absolutely not. I would consider an hour here or there with a 12 year old but you can't expect them to be responsible for an 8 year old, even for an hour. It is a lot to put on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Nope no matter how mature and sensible they were, it's too long, and too serious a burden of responsibility to put on the 12 year old.

Also it's the kind of arrangement you'd need to build up very gradually, like start off with much smaller periods of time. But even at that, I just think it's too long with the smaller child in the equation.

Working from home isn't a possibility at all is it?

Or could you contact local creches and see have they any staff available for work while they're closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would have been left at home at 12 with my 10 year old brother and 8 year old sister for a few hours on an irregular basis when my mother had shopping to do with my younger siblings back in the day, thinking about it they were days when there was much less to entertain kids as well. Again, wasn't regular or not 6 hours maybe 4 at most. But then again they were different times.
    I would say it depends on the kids and the safeguards you have in place to leave them for a few hours here and there and to build it up slowly, however 6 hours a day every day may be a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

No. Our Kids are close enough to that age and not a chance I would leave them home alone especially for the length of a working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Nope, my kids are close enough to those ages. Both very trustworthy and I have left them for a couple of hours from time to time. We have even walked down to the local restaurant in the evening and had dinner and left them home but every day for 7 odd hours is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Is this question for real?

That is an obvious no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It wouldn't be acceptable nowadays but we have to admit, in years gone by it would have been very much the norm for a child of that age to be at home minding the smaller ones while a parent was out at work or, in some cases, in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

No - we'd leave the 10 & 12 yr old for couple hours now & then, but not that lenght of time every day.
    Would you have a sec school teen come in - let kids sleep on & have the babysitter arrive at 11 or something & get them to text you when they arrive & they can hang out with them for the aft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It wouldn't be acceptable nowadays but we have to admit, in years gone by it would have been very much the norm for a child of that age to be at home minding the smaller ones while a parent was out at work or, in some cases, in the pub.

Not in my lifetime... what age are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Old enough for to remember a time when it was a common sight for children of 6 or 7 to be in smoke filled pubs and then at the end of the night have to hold their deliriously drunk father up and guide them home in the small hours after drinking their weeks wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭kippy

pwurple wrote: »
    Not in my lifetime... what age are you?

This would have been relatively common back in the day along with a tonne more things that are now not normal.
    Things such as not wearing seatbelts in cars, Not using childseats in cars, more that 5 people in a car, kids hanging out the windows of cars after winning matches, burning bonfires full of tyres and rubbish, burning rubbish, smacking kids, kids cycling without helmets etc etc etc kids helping out with manual work around the house/farm all day, every day....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 cinderellaxx

No, my kids are 8 and 11 I would only leave them to pop to the local shops for 5 mins, think my eldest would have to be 14/15 before I leave her for a good amount of time at home alone

Advertisement