Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coronavirus business death...

Options
  • 17-03-2020 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

Laura Ashley
    But like many Coronavirus deaths, it had serious underlying health issues :)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/jobs-at-risk-as-laura-ashley-falls-into-administration-1.4204978

I suspect many retail casualties especially those that were already finding it hard.

I don't expect too many small businesses as the chances are their landlords are individual rather than huge pension funds. Similarly banks and creditors will share the pain for small business and hopefully people will look at supporting locally owned business as soon as things come back to normal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭enricoh

I see the UK is cancelling business rates for small businesses for 2020, our crowd would want to do the same fairly lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

enricoh wrote: »
    I see the UK is cancelling business rates for small businesses for 2020, our crowd would want to do the same fairly lively.

And all retailers no matter what the size. The grants are pretty amazing too. Unfortunately it's not the UK though just England. When the original rates cut got announced last week by the time it reached Scotland it was just a 75% discount Nic always like to get her cut lol!

I see Dublin city council head honcho objecting to giving a rates holiday to retailers. Businesses are solely there to be bled dry by the councils anyway.
    He's also objecting to social housing tenants getting a rent holiday- half of whom pay e25 a week rent, that's if they pay at all!
    A few days of crying on Joe Duffy will surely fix that!
    What a country!!

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEFOpmwdA2QIkqspiRWSO4n8qGQgEKhAIACoHCAowqfqFCzD7v4MDMNLDjQY?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE:en

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I see Dublin city council head honcho objecting to giving a rates holiday to retailers. Businesses are solely there to be bled dry by the councils anyway.
    He's also objecting to social housing tenants getting a rent holiday- half of whom pay e25 a week rent, that's if they pay at all!
    What a country!!

Jaysus that's a bit harsh. You can apply for a mortgage holiday here too if you need it. For all the criticism of what's been done here they clearly are trying to make it as manageable as possible for people and business financially. Theres still non-stop moaning about it not being enough though you'd swear some people want to have 100% of expected income covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Before thinking this is so great, check the actual detail.

1 - It was a UK budget measure, nothing to do with current situation

2 - Its for small business only so won't do anything for larger retailer which are suffering too.

3 Its for one year only, thereafter it reverts back to the phenomenal high rates that are charged there

4 - no change to the current UK system has been suggested.

Here's an example.

2200 sq ft shop in Bishop's Stortford
    Rent £60,000 per year
    Rates £38,100 per year

Now what do you think of the UK policy?

• Advertisement

What a country!!

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEFOpmwdA2QIkqspiRWSO4n8qGQgEKhAIACoHCAowqfqFCzD7v4MDMNLDjQY?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

I fully agree with this.

What should (and probably will happen) is that is a business within a certain category that is affected badly can request a 3 month or 6 month payment holiday and that once it falls within certain parameters it is granted immediately, with any other agreement such as waiving rates for a period be left for the time being.

Remember some retailers are not affected - why give rate reductions to supermarkets, food stores & pharmacies?

As for social housing tenants - many of these would take advantage of any situation.

If someone has lost the job they can apply for a reduction in rent, but those on the scratcher already are not going to see any reduction in their social welfare, so why should they get a payment holiday?

Remember, there are many many many people who are selfish and will use this to scam whatever they can.

Don't be fooled by these

I'm not too au fait with UK retail silver but I thought there's a bloodbath on the high Street over there the last few years.
    Surely the penny will drop that rates are too high as vacancies increase

I'm not too au fait with UK retail silver but I thought there's a bloodbath on the high Street over there the last few years.
    Surely the penny will drop that rates are too high as vacancies increase

The penny should have dropped there many years ago. I used to work with a UK retailer and the costs of rates was a big problem then too (25 years ago).

If a location suffered from a downturn, you could immediately negotiate with the landlord, cut staff, change format. But a council gave you a flat eff off if you asked for any change in rates. So the UK system is not something you want here.

btw - Carphone Warehouse are closing all of their UK standalone stores. Ones of the primary reasons is business rates. They are not closing any Irish stores.

Advertisement