Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-03-2020, 22:00   #1
g0g

Corona Building

No better hobby while we're all encouraged to stay at home! Anyone cracking open a saved set or ordering new ones? Got the Fiat 500 last week and will probably build that. Also contemplating 2000451 which I put away in the attic. Lastly, just crumbled and ordered 10261 to build with the kids as it's reduced in Smyth's at the moment.
Any recommendations on current sets that are a really enjoyable build? I did Central Perk a couple of months ago and really enjoyed that one.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-03-2020, 12:32   #2
Fonelovin'dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0g View Post
No better hobby while we're all encouraged to stay at home! Anyone cracking open a saved set or ordering new ones? Got the Fiat 500 last week and will probably build that. Also contemplating 2000451 which I put away in the attic. Lastly, just crumbled and ordered 10261 to build with the kids as it's reduced in Smyth's at the moment.
Any recommendations on current sets that are a really enjoyable build? I did Central Perk a couple of months ago and really enjoyed that one.
Yup, I've been building the unbuilt sets. Built 75043 and 75158 the other day. Picked up 75222 yesterday and have another 6 unbuild sets to get through. Rationing 75222 to 2 bags a day or I'll run out of stuff to build by the weekend!
19-03-2020, 17:53   #3
denartha

On Saturday Im going to order a couple of sets from Smyths. I'm thinking of ordering a set or two. If I'm in a sensible mood, I'll order just the small £20 Snowspeeder. If not, I'm going to get LEGO 75273 Star Wars Poe Dameron's X-wing Fighter
21-03-2020, 10:48   #4
Fonelovin'dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
On Saturday Im going to order a couple of sets from Smyths. I'm thinking of ordering a set or two. If I'm in a sensible mood, I'll order just the small £20 Snowspeeder. If not, I'm going to get LEGO 75273 Star Wars Poe Dameron's X-wing Fighter
I love the colour of that X-wing but the price upsets me so much!
22-03-2020, 23:02   #5
Rodney Bathgate

I built the 42099 Technic 4x4 last week, built 75265 T-16 Skyhopper vs Bantha Microfighters this afternoon, will do the 42110 Technic Land Rover this coming week.
Advertisement
23-03-2020, 14:48   #6
Class MayDresser

Where's the best place to buy the Claas Xerion 42054? Cancelled golfing holiday piggy Bank being raided. I see it on Redbrain Ebay for 212€ but looks incomplete, best off go into an auction?
23-03-2020, 23:02   #7
Rodney Bathgate

Try bricklink.com
Thanks from:
24-03-2020, 10:31   #8
Class MayDresser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Bathgate View Post
Try bricklink.com
That is some site! About to pull the trigger, looks like it's a well run marketplace. Any do's/ don'ts I should be wary of? Looking at a Norwegian seller with 99% positive and paying with PayPal...
24-03-2020, 10:33   #9
Rhyme
Murderator

Mod: IADT, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class MayDresser View Post
That is some site! About to pull the trigger, looks like it's a well run marketplace. Any do's/ don'ts I should be wary of? Looking at a Norwegian seller with 99% positive and paying with PayPal...
If you're unsure about postage, ask the seller. Some sellers will only ship via courier, some by registered post etc. Always good to know the total cost before you take the plunge.

Some sellers, however, have an automated system where they know the weight and size of every item in their store so can calculate the exact shipping from your basket.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-03-2020, 10:37   #10
Fonelovin'dude

Quote:
Just echoing what Rhyme said. Due to PayPal rules moat sellers will need to ship with some sort of tracking to prove they sent the item in the event of a claim. Most will only do this over a certain value (normally about €20 but it varies).

Tracked shipping especially from the Scandinavian countries can often be half the cost of a set so its worth popping the seller a message to see how much shipping is in advance. Also don't forget you may have handling fees and PayPal fees on top.
(2) thanks from:
26-03-2020, 21:49   #11
Class MayDresser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyme View Post
If you're unsure about postage, ask the seller. Some sellers will only ship via courier, some by registered post etc. Always good to know the total cost before you take the plunge.

Some sellers, however, have an automated system where they know the weight and size of every item in their store so can calculate the exact shipping from your basket.
Ended up buying off this site, after a bit of drama. Emailed first seller he came back with a quote of €34 postage from Norway, lo and behold his PayPal wouldn't accept my deposit. Bought off another in Czech Republic for €8 more, shipped this morning hopefully arrive in a week. Just finishing an Airfix XKR it'd be ideal!

Thanks for the emailing tip!
26-03-2020, 22:54   #12
JupiterKid

Finally got started building my Creator Apollo 11 Lunar Lander set.

Building LEGO is a great de-stresser and form of mindful activity - but Im preaching to the converted here.

Last edited by JupiterKid; 26-03-2020 at 22:58.
27-03-2020, 14:45   #13
LooseCanon

Hoping to start Apollo 11 tonight or tomorrow! Need it after all this working from home in a new job type stuff😬 Find it unbelievably relaxing to just get some building time in!

Although tempted to get stuck into the Apollo Saturn V rocket. Have a few unbuilt larger sets with me at the minute so could start on Porsche 42056 or Stranger Things 75810. Might stick with Apollo 11 after seeing that pic!

Finished the Batmobile last weekend! Dragged out over a few weeks but such a joy to be back getting some building time to relax and satisfaction on completion!
(2) thanks from:
27-03-2020, 14:51   #14
Whelo79

I bought and built the the 007 Aston Martin. Limited it to one section a day so it was built over 4 days. Took roughly 8 hours to complete. It's a lovely finished piece.
(3) thanks from:
16-04-2020, 18:12   #15
Class MayDresser

Quote:
Ended up buying off this site, after a bit of drama. Emailed first seller he came back with a quote of €34 postage from Norway, lo and behold his PayPal wouldn't accept my deposit. Bought off another in Norway for €8 more, shipped this morning hopefully arrive in a week. Just finishing an Airfix XKR it'd be ideal!

Thanks for the emailing tip!
How long for a package to come from Norway? Ordered just 3 weeks ago, order number says it left Oslo PO on the 26th. Surely just stuck in some warehouse, who would Norwegian Post deal with here? An Post?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion