Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

cr-07 wrote: »
    My wedding is in Galway on the 27th of March, what do people think the chances of this being cancelled by the hotel, HSE, etc are?

Oh no I'm so sorry. Terrible timing. I feel it will really be kicking off by then.

If it's any consolation mine was on days after 9/11 in the US so we were missing a large part of our irish/aussie contingent. Was sad we missed people, but it made everyone appreciate something good and celebrate all the more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭topcat77

My wedding is in Galway on the 27th of March, what do people think the chances of this being cancelled by the hotel, HSE, etc are?

I be surprised if it goes ahead to be honest. Start looking at contingency plans just in case. I really hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Very slim chance I would imagine, we will have around 1000 cases by then and gatherings like weddings won't be happening I don't think. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

cr-07, ring the hotel and have them mail you an answer about refund for cancellations etc.
    Note gurests might not be willing to travel to a gathering so maybe see if the whole thing should be postponed until summer.

Myself and herself have weddings in the next months which we have accepted before this whole mess. We'll see if things go ahead and if we decide to go or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Meant to be travelling to Toronto 1st of April, probably not going to happen at this stage :( Has there been a confirmed case in Galway?

MadYaker wrote: »
    By next week pubs restaurants etc will be closed. I suspect they’ll announce school closures this week. The uk aren’t restricting large outdoor events yet but they will soon. Their government are asleep at the wheel.

I find it very hard to believe pubs and restaurants will be close. You can't just discount the importance of the economy, businesses and jobs etc in all this.

We aren't even calling of GAA matches etc, there will be thousands in pearse stadium on Sunday for example. Ive a hotel booked etc for a break around Paddy's day (in Ireland), I have no intention of cancelling as things stand.

I find it very hard to believe pubs and restaurants will be close. You can't just discount the importance of the economy, businesses and jobs etc in all this.

We aren't even calling of GAA matches etc, there will be thousands in pearse stadium on Sunday for example.

I know it's hard to believe and if it does happen it won't be for very long. Number of cases double every 4 days that puts us on course for 1000 cases by the end of the month and then it starts to get really serious. Thats where Italy are now but realistically things can't be shut for more than a few weeks or the conomy will never recover. We might be ok for paddys day most of that stuff might not kick in until April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Testing rate affects this. Korea has a low death rate cos they're testing lots. We aren't.

Korea's low death rate is acknowledged to be skewed and more attributable to the fact that it spread amoung a large religious cult whose average age was under 30 and a lot of cases resulted in that demographic. Death under 30 is rare everywhere.
    The Korean situation is no reason to take comfort unfortunately.

There's an interesting journal article on how long the virus can live on and remain transferable from surfaces below. It shows it's important to clean hands after you're handling things. It's worth baring in mind that its important to wipe down surfaces as well as wash hands too.
    Really excercise caution using ATMs etc.

On a helpful note bleach is very effective against this virus and it's cheap. Might be no harm to leave a cloth in a bowl of bleach/water mix in kitchens and bathrooms to wipe down taps and door handles at home and in work places.
    Bleach
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends a diluted bleach solution (⅓ cup bleach per 1 gallon of water or 4 teaspoons bleach per 1 quart of water) for virus disinfection. Wear gloves while using bleach, and never mix it with anything except water. (The only exception is when doing laundry with detergent.)

“Bleach works great against viruses,” Sachleben says. Just don’t keep the solution for longer than a few days because bleach will degrade certain plastic containers.

We found that viable virus could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for multiple hours and on surfaces up to days.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Ciaran Cannon TD confirmed today that there are 4 cases in Kinvara. People in Kinvara has been aware of this for a number of days.
    Richard Joyce GP in Gort has been calling for all schools in S. Galway to close immediately. He has suggested that parents act unilaterally if the DOE does not.
    Richard Joyce is very well respected and I think parents will act on his advice.

EDIT: I've added attachments of same
    Hopefully I've added the attachments correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I thought there was a cluster of confirmed 5 cases there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There was a popular road run on in Kinvarra last weekend. Could be a big spread from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Just announced now that a woman in the east of the country has died. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

zell12 wrote: »
    I thought there was a cluster of confirmed 5 cases there?

***Speculation/Opinion on my part*****
    I suspect there is a delay between people being confirmed at an individual level and them then appearing on an official HSE list
    *******End speculation**************

Ciaran Cannon confirmed earlier today that officially it was 4 (I've screen shot in original edited post)

Ciaran Cannon TD confirmed today that there are 4 cases in Kinvara. People in Kinvara has been aware of this for a number of days.
    Richard Joyce GP in Gort has been calling for all schools in S. Galway to close immediately. He has suggested that parents act unilaterally if the DOE does not.
    Richard Joyce is very well respected and I think parents will act on his advice.

EDIT: I've added attachments of same
    Hopefully I've added the attachments correctly

Lets hope hes taken seriously, this waiting around until we hit what everyone is calling an inevitable disaster is ridiculous. If the government won't be proactive I hope the people will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

We aren't even calling of GAA matches etc, there will be thousands in pearse stadium on Sunday for example. Ive a hotel booked etc for a break around Paddy's day (in Ireland), I have no intention of cancelling as things stand.

You find it hard to believe, are you finding Italy on complete lockdown hard to believe because believe it or it not it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Face masks
    &
    Handwash
    Available
    Sign on door in small newsagent in Woodquay. Unclear if they are charging or not, no price stated on door...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That would cover public gatherings of >500 people, I'd have thought (although, in fairness, I wouldn't know how many people usually attend). If I'm honest, I'm surprised the measures weren't stricter than this. 500 people outdoors and 100 indoors is a lot.

• Advertisement

I do my regular shop in Dunnes Knocknacarra today. Noticed that Aldi was jammed; cars parked along the road. Dunnes car park had spaces but very busy. I did my last shop in Aldi on monday and for the most part it was well stocked. Maybe things have drastically changed by now?

Couldn't believe the state of Dunnes today.

MNL6xaDl.jpgEwTLIXcl.jpg

Not quite beast from the east with lines going up the aisles but took 2x as long to get out. Runs on loo roll, canned goods, and pasta.

I asked the lady at the till and she said it's been pretty manic all week. The wait was on average 4-5 carts deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

Couldn't believe the state of Dunnes today.

Was in on Sunday and it was the same. We walked up and down the aisles playing "guess what used to be there". I nearly don't want to say that other local supermarkets are absolutely fine, in case these ****wits descend there too. People are dumb.

People are so stupid it's actually unreal. The Taoiseach tells people to avoid crowded places and what do they do? Get in their cars and pile into the shops. Why??? Deliveries will continue as normal. Stock will be normal next week. Honestly maybe we need an extinction event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tesco headford road is a sight to behold today.

The unpopular unspoken reality is people don't want to have to go to the shops next week in case the catch it there. Today was the trigger "before it gets too bad" so maybe their thought is to self isolate and avoid going back until it blows over. Personally I was very comforted that in China and other afflicted countries never had serious problems other than short-term runs on goods. I'm hoping when I go back Monday for milk and bread things will start to normalise by then.

But yes, sheeple are idiots. I'm seeing on twitter it's much much worse than it was when I snapped those pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

People are so stupid it's actually unreal. The Taoiseach tells people to avoid crowded places and what do they do? Get in their cars and pile into the shops. Why??? Deliveries will continue as normal. Stock will be normal next week. Honestly maybe we need an extinction event.

I'm rather glad they are there today while I'm at work. Will go in next Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I'm rather glad they are there today while I'm at work. Will go in next Monday.

Much safer to do it then when it is nice and quiet rather than packed like it is now.

Got an email from Leisureland to say they are closed for two weeks.

As for stocking up, definitely doing a beer run this evening to stock up not too bothered about stocking up on anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Got an email from Leisureland to say they are closed for two weeks.

As for stocking up, definitely doing a beer run this evening to stock up not too bothered about stocking up on anything else.

Get something stronger than beer - better internal disinfection ;)

Get something stronger than beer - better internal disinfection ;)

I’ve a large selection of spirits (incl proper poitin) at home already so I’m safe enough on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭StonedRaider

Why you ask?? Maybe because schools and crèches are now closed for the next 2 weeks...so rather than drag 3 kids 11yrs and younger tomorrow or on Monday to do our weekly shop(can't leave them home alone can I?) I went in today just before lunch. It was a bit hectic, but was in and out in under 25mins. Stop.. think for a minute. Different people are in different circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Kingfisher NUI closed effective 21:00 tonight until 30/03/20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Roisin have cancelled all gigs and club nights while Monroe's have closed their live venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Just back from Dunnes in Briarhill. It wasn’t too bad considering the fruit and veg aisles are often low at this time of the evening. The newsagent in the shopping centre is selling 4 packs of bog roll for a fiver.

Edit:
    4-pack for 2.5 I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I have to go into town to meet a recruiter in the morning and I'm not sure whats now seen as the "correct" thing to do. Is going to to somewhere like McCambridges to buy a few things good or bad as they are non-essential items but I'd be supporting local business? So many conflicting messages.

I am running low on good coffee though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭tphase

grbear wrote: »

no brainer, I reckon. coffee is an essential, 2nd only to the water required to brew it

There were a few good tips on Prime Time tonight.

Use your knuckles to press ATM and elevator buttons and doorbells.
    If someone hands you cash take it between your knuckles.

It's better to expose your knuckles because your unlikely to rub them in your eye, mouth or nose.

Ask visitors to wash their hands once they enter your house.

Why you ask?? Maybe because schools and crèches are now closed for the next 2 weeks...so rather than drag 3 kids 11yrs and younger tomorrow or on Monday to do our weekly shop(can't leave them home alone can I?) I went in today just before lunch. It was a bit hectic, but was in and out in under 25mins. Stop.. think for a minute. Different people are in different circumstances

And I wonder how many hunderds of you picked up or spread the virus to others. We have to start limiting our movement so less people die in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There were a few good tips on Prime Time tonight.

Use your knuckles to press ATM and elevator buttons and doorbells.
    If someone hands you cash take it between your knuckles.

Then punch somebody you don't like.
    Double Whammy!!!

My local Lidl (50 miles from town) was out of nearly everything by closing time last night.
    The locals were just doing their normal shop but hoards arrived from Galway to stock up on stuff they couldn't get in the city.
    Total madness.

............. there will be thousands in pearse stadium on Sunday for example.............

Nope

Augeo wrote: »
    Nope
    Explain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

biko wrote: »
    Explain

All gaa and indeed all sporting events have been cancelled.

Thanks ^^^

More from https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo
    All performances at the Town Hall and Black Box Theatres from today until 29th March are cancelled.

Galway City Museum will be closed as of 5pm this evening, the 12th March until 29th of March. Please keep an eye on the Galway City Museum website for updates.
    All Galway public libraries will close for the next two weeks from today. You can log on to http://galwaylibrary.ie to use online services completely free. inc. ebooks, audiobooks, newspapers.

Leisureland will also be closed until further notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

MADRA are closing their kennels and shops for the moment. They request that people don't leave donations outside the doors of the shops.
    Anybody wanting to adopt/foster can be arranged by appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

GoBus services suspended from Monday onwards, according to their Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/GobusGalway/posts/3006625276099072

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

Washing your hands is more effective and more environmentally friendly than constantly changing gloves. Gloves wont protect any better than your skin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Reminder that children are not meant to be out and about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Seen so many young lads out today in tracksuits up to no good thinking their gangsters.

Why do the parents think this is a 2 week holiday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

grbear wrote: »
    I have to go into town to meet a recruiter in the morning and I'm not sure whats now seen as the "correct" thing to do. Is going to to somewhere like McCambridges to buy a few things good or bad as they are non-essential items but I'd be supporting local business? So many conflicting messages.

They arent telling people to stay in their homes at all times. Just avoid crowds, stay a couple of metres from people as much as you can.

Though for my coffee recommendation I would say Urban Grind sell 3fe coffee. Its hard to beat. (3fe also sell online. They roast the beans on the day you place the order and send them down from Dublin - and you get to keep your social distancing!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To play devil's advocate here, but maybe they were teens who were entrusted to stay at home while their parents had to go to work. The schools were closed on short notice and it's a Friday so childcare / supervision hard to come by.

• Advertisement

From the kid's point of view this is a larf. Without broader restrictions they won't take it seriously... and how far should we freak them out? One child in KNS came home with a proper schedule of course work while the other st St Marys was sent home with little to do so only down to mrsbeard did he have assignments to do while we both worked from home. I was on the phone nonstop from 9-1pm which was a bit of a shock to our new arrangement.

Advertisement