Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I turn off my own water supply

• 08-03-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

- am I allowed turn off my own water supply?
    - how do I technically do it?
    - if not - is there a charge involved?

I want to repair a broken hose pipe in at the back of my house (which I have managed to plug temporarily). The supply to this hose goes through my (very old) house but by-passes the stop valve that turns off the water in the rest of the house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Should be a valve/lever you can turn out in the public road.... where the new meters were located.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Of course you can turn it off, there is no charge and anything past the meter is yours to do as you please....

The meter has a stop valve on it or you may have another on the property depending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it has a new style meter outside there's a key inside the plastic shore cover to turn off the water, if it's one of the old Uisce type metal shores you will need a  water key to turn off..

Woodies have them, handy to have about the house in an emergency...
    https://www.woodies.ie/plumbing-tools-water-key-for-under-ground-stopcock-335983

• Company Representative Posts: 222 Verified rep Irish Water: Niamh

Hi jgoty2001,
    jgoty2001 wrote: »
    - am I allowed turn off my own water supply?
    - how do I technically do it?
    - if not - is there a charge involved?

I want to repair a broken hose pipe in at the back of my house (which I have managed to plug temporarily). The supply to this hose goes through my (very old) house but by-passes the stop valve that turns off the water in the rest of the house.
    Thanks for getting in touch.

You can turn off your supply from the public mains to your property. You can switch your supply off using the outside stop valve located in your meter box, provided that is safe to do so.

Once the works are complete you can turn back on your supply.

Kind regards,
    Niamh

Advertisement