Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty whitening teeth - is this common?

Options
  • 01-03-2020 11:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Started with whitening toothpaste, all different kinds, including activated charcoal.

Then tried whitening gel with moulds.
    I used DIY moulds initially, then used a dental custom mouthpiece (actually sports mouthpiece but same thing, right?) with the gel.

Then tried two different types of strips.

One type of strip called "White Nights" made a mild impression, but other than that, I just can't get them white.

First four teeth on the front, upper and lower - perfectly white, always have been.
    It's from the K9's back and lower corresponding tooth, back - yellow.

Not a huge issue, but I really want to get them white.
    I understand the teeth in question are thicker so tend to be yellow in contrast to the thinner front teeth.

There's gotta be a way though, right?

Laser treatment or something?
    Or would I be burning my money - as in some people teeth just don't whiten?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Vital tooth bleaching can be unpredictable.

You need to go to a dentist and get bleaching done that way.

Those over the counter products and abrasive toothpastes won’t make the difference you are looking for.

You need bleach of a certain concentration which can only be prescribed by a dentist and is not available over the counter/online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Vital tooth bleaching can be unpredictable.

You need to go to a dentist and get bleaching done that way.

Those over the counter products and abrasive toothpastes won’t make the difference you are looking for.

You need bleach of a certain concentration which can only be prescribed by a dentist and is not available over the counter/online.

Do you mean in-office bleaching?

That would certainly be a favoured option cause getting take-home custom trays made costs a fortune.

Also the gel I used was 44% concentration from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do you mean in-office bleaching?

That would certainly be a favoured option cause getting take-home custom trays made costs a fortune.

Also the gel I used was 44% concentration from China.

Actually the take home trays are the favoured option, better control, better effect, less concentrated gel, lasts longer, and you can top up whenever you like.

44% is three times the recommended safe concentration of carbamide peroxide and almost 8 times the safe hydrogen peroxide concentration. Plus the gel you are buying is not regulated or subject to safety standards. You are a bit of a numpty if you are using it, it’s effectively demestos in a syringe.

Thanks a bunch for the clear response.

Trays at home sound good - cost wise, what would I be lookin' at?

I should mention that, finances wise, I'm not exactly ballin' outta control so, want to keep that as regulated as possible.

Many clinics seem to advertise trays and gel for about 300.

But then this clinic near me is advertising for 150.
    150 I can swing.

I had actually assumed given 44% gel wasn't working that, maybe I just needed in office whitening but, clinics I've looked at - the "zoom" procedure it seems to be called - they're coming in about 450.
    But your response suggests that it was the trays I was using were just not facilitating correct whitening - which is aces cause I was terrified I'd have yellow K9's forever.

Price wise, users prob don't want to recommend any specific clinic but, what would be roughly my best budget price if I looked around (but naturally still up to par work, cause the China gear cost me like, 7 euros)?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Thanks a bunch for the clear response.

Trays at home sound good - cost wise, what would I be lookin' at?

I should mention that, finances wise, I'm not exactly ballin' outta control so, want to keep that as regulated as possible.

Many clinics seem to advertise trays and gel for about 300.

But then this clinic near me is advertising for 150.
    150 I can swing.

I had actually assumed given 44% gel wasn't working that, maybe I just needed in office whitening but, clinics I've looked at - the "zoom" procedure it seems to be called - they're coming in about 450.
    But your response suggests that it was the trays I was using were just not facilitating correct whitening - which is aces cause I was terrified I'd have yellow K9's forever.

Price wise, users prob don't want to recommend any specific clinic but, what would be roughly my best budget price if I looked around (but naturally still up to par provision, cause the China gear cost me like, 7 euros)?

Prolonged periods of antibiotic use can irreversibly alter the colour of the teeth (making them more yellow), this may or may not be relevant in this case but worth thinking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I'd love to know the answer to this! I did get laser treatment in a dentists and while they clearly lightened a few shades, they were still yellow and dark, the dentist said I could maintain that shade with top ups but they wouldn't get any whiter. I've been considering veneers at this stage. I don't even want Hollywood white but the yellowness is depressing. I don't smoke whereas some of my friends smoke heavily and have whiter teeth that me, which is a little frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

This is actually a very complex topic. There are a lot of variables. What concentration of bleach, and what concentration of that bleech is still active by yhe time you put it on your teeth. How well do the trays fit your mouth? How well do you apply the bleach. Its is at home only or in office. At home is better to a combination at home and in office work the best.

There are then factors to do with your teeth, how permeable are they to the bleaching ions?

Some peoples teeth bleach well with little effort, however for most people a precise and careful method is needed. The dentist needs to provide active gels within the legal limits. Generally bleaching that is not in a custom made tray is worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

reg114 wrote: »
    Prolonged periods of antibiotic use can irreversibly alter the colour of the teeth (making them more yellow), this may or may not be relevant in this case but worth thinking about.

My front 4 teeth top and bottom are perfectly white.

Would anti-biotics discolour all the teeth?

I should mention also, the sports mouth piece I have is a dental impression one.

Not a boil and bite.

Would that be the same basically as whitening moulds?

The dental office I attend sends the impression mould to the same lab for making the trays, be it for sports or whitening purposes.

Are the whitening moulds made different to the sports moulds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I should mention also, the sports mouth piece I have is a dental impression one.

Not a boil and bite.

Would that be the same basically as whitening moulds?

The dental office I attend sends the impression mould to the same lab for making the trays, be it for sports or whitening purposes.

Are the whitening moulds made different to the sports moulds?

Yes they are different.

Sportsgaurds are made to fit snugly against your teeth so that they don’t move. Whitening trays typically have a 1mm space between inside of tray and front surface of teeth to allow for the gel. If your sportsgaurd did not fit against the surface of your teeth, it would move on impact and be incapable of absorbing the force applied.

Out of interest, how would you know where a clinic sends their laboratory work? From your posts, I don’t get the sense you are on first name terms with your dentist and I can’t imagine they tell you which laboratory they use for each prosthesis.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Yes they are different.

Sportsgaurds are made to fit snugly against your teeth so that they don’t move. Whitening trays typically have a 1mm space between inside of tray and front surface of teeth to allow for the gel. If your sportsgaurd did not fit against the surface of your teeth, it would move on impact and be incapable of absorbing the force applied.

Out of interest, how would you know where a clinic sends their laboratory work? From your posts, I don’t get the sense you are on first name terms with your dentist and I can’t imagine they tell you which laboratory they use for each prosthesis.

Nah they were pretty open about it, it's a lab across town.
    Been there a bunch of times also to have some minor filing down done to my mouth piece.
    He told me he does all the mould work for that clinic, sports guards, whitening trays etc.

Dav010 wrote: »

From a dental lab technician and several dental clinics - I got no feedback that they actually do this.

That being said, there is an outline it's what they SHOULD do - include that 1 mm gap - but apparently some don't do it?

Is that possible?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

From the other thread; you posted that you are now attending a technician to have trays made.
    Ensure they are qualified, registered, insured, licenced, have correct cross infection control measures, ect ect
    Beyond that, advice has been given inasmuch as possible; mainly; to see a dentist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement