Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-02-2020, 16:54   #136
The Big Easy

Looking forward to tomorrow now! Have not touched the clubs since Dooks!!!!

Best of luck for the year ahead Space, a fitting captain to follow in Benny's esteemed footsteps. And I'll be doing my best to be early, having read back through the thread, sorry for causing all your bad play Benny!

In all seriousness, appreciate the effort that goes into it from everyone, and timekeeping is one of my growth areas for this year Will definitely be early enough tomorrow to sample the chipping area, have not seen it in two previous visits, eek!

Thanks again J, for helping get us out on such a fabulous course. Small bit of sunshine and we'll be away!
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2020, 16:58   #137
Golfgraffix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve OB View Post
with the weather like this anyone who shoots anywhere near 40 points tomorrow will be having a serious handicap review
Anybody shooting 40 tomorrow will be bundled into the boot of a car and buried in a shallow grave somewhere in the mountains
(3) thanks from:
21-02-2020, 17:09   #138
Break80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfgraffix View Post
Anybody shooting 40 tomorrow will be bundled into the boot of a car and buried in a shallow grave somewhere in the mountains
Along with the handicap secretary
21-02-2020, 17:22   #139
timgolfer

Good luck everyone tomorrow, can’t wait to get the sticks out! I’m not used to these Lynks courses on a good day! So should be fun!
Thanks from:
21-02-2020, 17:22   #140
The Big Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixdePitchmark View Post
Was out for 12 today a "warm up"

Suppose most here play a bit of winter golf , but just in case. I'll post what I wore. YOu could get away with a little less but not much.

Had 4 layers on top

underamour
normal golf top
fleece type
and then rain gear to break wind

2 layers on legs
trouser and rain gear legging.

On head
2 hats - unusual , but can make a difference on a real hardcore day (a thin one, and normal one).

Socks - proper thick winter socks. If you don't , wear two thin pairs. Trust me.

I had hand warmers - only used a small bit

Other tips lads do

A flask is always a pleasure , but a bit awkward
Some type of cream on face - are actual creams , but basically a moisturizers
Keep moving
Some guys wear lined or long johns. (raingear will do if stuck)
Right and left hand normal golf glove
Chocolate.

Possibility of a bit of rain , 10m/s and 6 degrees.

Hopefully all that increases or drops a little.

Anyway - just a few basic tips , will be a great day.

I just posted how i dressed today
I also had a bra a jocks on.
Cheers for the heads up Fix, just checked the weather there! Will definitely be going for the long johns. Always love the idea of sipping on a hip flask during a winter's day of links golf.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2020, 17:42   #141
FixdePitchmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfgraffix View Post
in fairness you should fit in my boot .
(3) thanks from:
21-02-2020, 21:42   #142
a post punk

If I can double my score from last year I’ll have 34 points !!
Just back from the range it was great practice for tomorrow hitting into that Gale......
(2) thanks from:
22-02-2020, 06:34   #143
Break80

Anyone else up at stupid o clock?
(2) thanks from:
22-02-2020, 07:33   #144
rickis tache

Best of luck lads.
Would of loved to join ye today but..... Stupid kids...
Will be on later looking forward to reading the reports and results.
To space, best of luck with your year as captain. Enjoy it lads.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-02-2020, 08:25   #145
FixdePitchmark

looks ok out there ?

Obviously very windy , but could have been way worse like yesterday evening.
Thanks from:
22-02-2020, 09:53   #146
Seve OB

Just went out to drop kids to gymnastics . It’s quite nice out there. Not mad cold, and wind is gusty and not a complete gale

Edit...... well a kid. The other 2 had me up for a few hours last night while they were getting sick. Kinda tired now
22-02-2020, 18:29   #147
Snackbox20

Wanted to thank Spacecoyote and commitee for a fantastic day's golf.
Great to have met Tigerwood1, os_head, and golf head65 (well done on your 2 BTW).
Brilliant to meet everyone and looking forward to the next outing at the curragh.
Should have taken driver out on the first 😔😊😊
22-02-2020, 18:43   #148
FixdePitchmark

Portmarnock Links

Thanks to Golfgaffix , Space and the committee for great day out. What a great golf course.

In the end the weather was ok - very high wind speeds as expected, but only one hole where it got a bit out of control with an ice cold heavy downpour. The 4 layers were needed for that 15 mins anyway .

Fair play to everyone getting around - fantastic pace of play and some great scores in the 30s coming in. A Corballis man on top makes sense.

I was happy enough with my own game, almost in the 30s - except got a two shot penalty playing from the wrong marker - was admiring the airplanes trying to land in the wind and got distracted. Them looking down at us from above, saying are they "crazy to play golf".

Some great ball striking in our group from BigChap , but was a day nothing happened on the greens for the 4 of us (Scubapro and Alanm). At times you were almost blown off the stance of the putt and the ball broke with the wind if you didn't commit.

Thanks for picking the green tees, good call - would have been hard work any further back at all.

Back to course, fantastic variety of holes , shapes, lengths - the rough is not too high , so there wasn't much ball searching.

Hopefully catch a few more outings this year. A great start to the year , thanks again.

Last edited by FixdePitchmark; 22-02-2020 at 18:48.
22-02-2020, 19:35   #149
Kiith

Really enjoyed the round today, bar that 20 minute stretch where the sky opened up. Absolutley freezing for a while. Dried out nicely in the end though. Enjoyed my time with jarriet, Brian Rossite and willabur. Willabur shot 34 points, which i believe was winning when i had to leave. I played well enough, with 32 points. That wind was a killer on some holes, especially the par 3's. Had to aim 50 yards off center, and it still went wide.

I did miss the ball on my drive at the 10th though...which was hilariously bad.

Thanks to spacecoyote and the committee for arranging everything.
22-02-2020, 20:02   #150
willabur

Brilliant day. Really enjoyed that round even if I was questioning life choices while that rain was beating down. Organisation was top notch lads, thanks to all involved. Great playing partners also, the 4+ hours flew by
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion