Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - Sully Style

Options
  • 20-01-2020 9:51pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

5683911_0.jpg

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my Walrus.

Due to time constraints, I haven’t been following all of the Walruses recently, so apologies if I repeat categories. However, my eclectic taste in music might change peoples choices for submission.

My Spotify “Top Songs of 2019” playlist included:
    John Williams / classical music
    Faithless / Basement Jaxx /
    The Heathers
    Florence & The Machine
    Frank Sinatra / The Ratpack
    Fleetwood Mac
    The Undertones / Christy Moore / Sharon Shannon
    Amongst others...

My guilty pleasures include:
    Pop music and boybands (Backstreet Boys / Westlife / Boyzone era)
    Disney songs
    Dance Classic Music
    Susan Boyle / Michael Buble

The all important categories:
    (Limiting to 6 categories for time reasons)
    - Classic Dance Tune:
    "Now That's What I call Ibiza" was one of my favourite albums when I was younger. I can recite all of the lyrics to "Maniac 2000". One of my favourite YouTube clips is:

I'm particularly fond of a piece of music that has a build up to a massive finish, and this is true for the next category too...

- A Piece of Classical Music:
    When I'm working and need to concentrate, I throw on some classical music on Spotify. Last year I became obsessed with John Williams / Hans Zimmer / movie scores, and I would like to expand my selection. I don't think songs from either of these composers would fit into my next category...

- A song from a Movie Soundtrack:
    A very open category. I'm not one for watching movies, but their soundtracks are earworms for me. Speaking of Earworms, the next category is one of my favourites...

- A Mash-Up:
    What is a Mash Up? A Mash Up is a combination of two (or more) songs that share traits and work seamlessly with each other. One of the more famous examples is the mashup of Chasing Cars and Every Breath You Take.

Speaking of taking breaths...

- A song to get the heart pumping:
    I'm doing 100 days of walking and I'm planning on getting back to c25k and triathlon training. But walking and running are awful boring. I'm getting sick of my old reliables on spotify, so give me some songs that get the blood pumping and heart racing so that I can move to the beat of the music.

And finally...

- An acoustic cover of a popular song:
    It doesn't have to be by the original artist, but there's something chilling about an acoustic version of a song that we're used to hearing from a studio.

The small print:
    - Please give title / artist as they appear on Spotify (if possible) - most of my music listening is in the car so Spotify works well.
    - Entries to be submitted via PM and I'd like to get all of the entries in by 27th Jan (this day two weeks)
    - Currently no limit on entries (number-wise) but if it gets overwhelming, I may need to limit it.

Looking forward to my musical education!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'll definitely be getting an entry in for this anyway - some great categories there. Will have to get my thinking cap on and start making a list of submissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Looking at the categories, I might have to give this one a miss, due to the fact as I havent a clue in two of those categories :pac:

Never listened to any classical music or mash ups unfortunately due to only hearing music for the last year or so. if people could point me in directions I'd be more than happy to stick em on spotify over the week and try to get an entry in

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just sent you an entry there sully, sorry about the two PMs I missed the dance track initially :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Further evidence of my eclectic mix in music... My "climbing songs" for when I'm going up a hill on the bike, include:
    Arcade fire, primal scream, lady gaga, Nina Simone, hot chip and Louis prima...

I don't have one set "genre" and I look forward to hearing all of the entries!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Trigger wrote: »
    Looking at the categories, I might have to give this one a miss, due to the fact as I havent a clue in two of those categories :pac:

Never listened to any classical music or mash ups unfortunately due to only hearing music for the last year or so. if people could point me in directions I'd be more than happy to stick em on spotify over the week and try to get an entry in

I studied music in school and really appreciate classical music. I find it hard to go wrong with anything by the London Philharmonic orchestra.

Mash-up is a new(?)ISH concept. The beat and chorus of one song is blended within another song, or a few songs are mixed together. It's all about the beat - the actual lyrics are not important. A seamless transition is brilliant.

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    I studied music in school and really appreciate classical music. I find it hard to go wrong with anything by the London Philharmonic orchestra.

Mash-up is a new(?)ISH concept. The beat and chorus of one song is blended within another song, or a few songs are mixed together. It's all about the beat - the actual lyrics are not important. A seamless transition is brilliant.

Sure I'll have a look on spotify and end up going down some rabbit holes and try muster an entry, I'd be confident in a few picks for the other categories, reading your interests :D

Sure I'll have a look on spotify and end up going down some rabbit holes and try muster an entry, I'd be confident in a few picks for the other categories, reading your interests :D
    Lots of songs from glee would work for mashup!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

these cats are right up my alley, so i'll defo be inning

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I have what I think is the perfect mashup but it's not available on spotify or youtube. Only on a couple of websites. You'll have to download it to your phone/laptop or stream it if that's okay for you ?

Rikand wrote: »
    I have what I think is the perfect mashup but it's not available on spotify or youtube. Only on a couple of websites. You'll have to download it to your phone/laptop or stream it if that's okay for you ?

Yeah sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Songs submitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Entered!

Submitted mine last night while battling insomnia, though on re-reading the description for the Classical piece I think I may have submitted the exact opposite of what you were looking for (I.e. something suitable for working/concentrating) :o Call mine a "coffee break" entry perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

What if song is only available on youtube?

Send it anyway. I’ll listen to them at home.

Because you linked this
    sullivlo wrote: »
    One of my favourite YouTube clips is:

I listened to this particular one repeatedly for about 6 months a year or two earlier

Lolas Theme always a classic and Smokebelch an extreme classic (though a total rip off of another tune lol)

Because you linked this

I listened to this particular one repeatedly for about 6 months a year or two earlier

Lolas Theme always a classic and Smokebelch an extreme classic (though a total rip off of another tune lol)

That's the one I meant to link but I was phone posting. Unreal. Wish it was on Spotify.

Well we know who is going to win the dance track round anyways!

Well we know who is going to win the dance track round anyways!

Not necessarily. Classic dance/chart dance isn't always my thing. And what I'd consider to be classic, others wouldn't. Like maniac for example. I generally don't love vocals in my choons. I like my dance music to be music

(Lola's theme obvious exception haha)

27th (this day two weeks) but you posted the thread on the 20th.

Just trying to suss out if I need to turbo an entry in right now or if I have another week to do it

• Advertisement

27th (this day two weeks) but you posted the thread on the 20th.

Just trying to suss out if I need to turbo an entry in right now or if I have another week to do it

D'oh. I meant next Sunday. 2nd Feb.

Entry submitted, jaysus that was tough. It was like I was hosting the walrus for 2 categories, hours spent listening for The mash up and the classical as I have never listened to either before, looking forward to seeing the other submissions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Do we PM you Sully?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Do we PM you Sully?

I did anyways and so did Necro as above..

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Do we PM you Sully?
    Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In

Finally

Was so conflicted over so many of my choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Finally

I want to submit two entries ..... so many choices, in particular the movie track

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Finally

I had a mash-up song that immediately came to my mind, had to build the rest around it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Green&Red wrote:
    I had a mash-up song that immediately came to my mind, had to build the rest around it

Oh God I hope it isn't the same one :eek:

Advertisement