Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 90's

Options
  • 09-01-2020 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭

81a7NAHjSiL.png

The 90s was another great decade for music, I'm sure we all have our favourites.

Lets see what truly is the greatest song.

There are just 2 rules the songs must meet to be eligible.

1. The song must have been released as a single in the UK and/or US, no album tracks here
    2. The song must have been released in the 90's, re releases are accepted.

So, please pm me 10 songs and we will likely kick this off in a couple of weeks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Glutton for punishment Kolido.

This is gonna be tough again to narrow it down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

List in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    Glutton for punishment Kolido.

This is gonna be tough again to narrow it down :(

My exact thoughts
    The 90s are my formative decade, I could come up with hundreds. I also think I'll take rejection of my favourites personally :(

Have already submitted my ten, had to do it quickly before I changed my mind yet again over what to pick.

I just hope somebody else had nominated some of those I had to leave out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sent my 10 songs in, tried not to overthink it too much, and pretty happy with my choices.

• Advertisement

Just looked up the top selling singles of the decade on Wikipedia. Here's the UK list, it makes for grim reading...

499571.jpg

Can't see many of those getting nominated, except by Necro

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can't see many of those getting nominated

:pac:

Necro wrote: »
    :pac:

Fixed my post ;)
    I know you're a big Robson and Jerome fan!

Just looked up the top selling singles of the decade on Wikipedia. Here's the UK list, it makes for grim reading...

There's one song there that was on my "longlist", and maybe another three or four that I wouldn't object to too strongly......but yeah, the majority if those can absolutely fúck off. >__<

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Just looked up the top selling singles of the decade on Wikipedia. Can't see many of those getting nominated, except by Necro

I see you clicked into Aqua :p

I'll get a list into you Kolido.

• Advertisement

I see you clicked into Aqua :p

Every day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I like the last two on that list, especially Number 19 (Spaceman). But, as for the rest... please no!

EDIT: Actually, guilty pleasure: Number 8 grew on me! I realized that it is actually a good song in its own right when I happened to hear some radically rearranged versions of it! For example, Travis does a cover of it. So, I will allow Britney Spears' Baby One More Time, upon reflection!

I’m gonna pick a song from each year this time

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

This is actually surprisingly tougher than what I expected.

I'm flip flopping between a few but hopefully will have a list this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

List sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Great music up to '95 at a push maybe '96. Nah leave it 95- it went downhill rapidly after that and has not got much better.

OP- as a point of order there is no apostrophe in "90s".

Sorry I can't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

499571.jpg

Ha...I thought at first glance it was your own personal list and I thought "What a little bitch."

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

What about Catatonia Road Rage?

Heard it tonight on tv and have since listened a further 3/4 times. Great tune and memory from the 90’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

whodafunk wrote: »
    What about Catatonia Road Rage?

Heard it tonight on tv and have since listened a further 3/4 times. Great tune and memory from the 90’s.

Its a good tune alright.

If you're interested, please pm me your list of 10 and they will be included in the contest.

Fixed my post I know you're a big Robson and Jerome fan!

Look, Teletubbies is an underrated CLASSIC and none of you know what you're talking about. ;)

• Advertisement

Ha...I thought at first glance it was your own personal list and I thought "What a little bitch."

It's fine to like Whitney and Elton man. Embrace it don't run from it that stuff will only eat you up in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

submitted list... probably not the best of the decade, but a few iconic ones anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can safely say I will not be nominating any of the top twenty selling singles! What a shocking list. Only two decent songs on are covers! (13 & 15)

Thought Bryan Adams would be top because I remember the summer it was at No.1 for far too long and played far too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

74-75 by The Connells

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

:eek: If I was forced to listen to that playlist on repeat forever it would be killing me softly....:pac:

I have been looking at that Top 20 bestsellers list and noticed a few things.

The year most represented is 1997 with six songs, including the biggest seller of the '90s - Elton John's. The second most represented is 1998 with four songs. The third most represented is 1996 with three songs. After that, it is one song or two songs for different years.

In view of the above, it is not surprising that sixteen of the entries are from the second half of the 1990s, i.e. 1995-1999.

1990 and 1993 are not represented at all in this list.

The Spice Girls and The Saints are represented here with a song a piece. They would have been considered rival pop acts at the time. Two other rival acts from that time are not in the Top 20: Oasis and Blur. In fact, there is no sign of "Brit Pop" here at all.

I have been looking at that Top 20 bestsellers list and noticed a few things.

The year most represented is 1997 with six songs, including the biggest seller of the '90s - Elton John's. The second most represented is 1998 with four songs. The third most represented is 1996 with three songs. After that, it is one song or two songs for different years.

In view of the above, it is not surprising that sixteen of the entries are from the second half of the 1990s, i.e. 1995-1999.

1990 and 1993 are not represented at all in this list.

The Spice Girls and The Saints are represented here with a song a piece. They would have been considered rival pop acts at the time. Two other rival acts from that time are not in the Top 20: Oasis and Blur. In fact, there is no sign of "Brit Pop" here at all.

Also no sign of Take That and I would have thought they were as big as the Spice Girls.

Also just looking at the biggest selling album in Ireland ever (David Gray - White Ladder quiz nerds) ..... and the singles which were constantly on the radio in the late 90s didn't actually get into the Top 10 here. Didn't even break the top 20. I think that's an amazing statistic.

In my previous post, I should have said All Saints!

First of all I should point out that looking at just the Top 20 for the 1990s does not give you the full picture. Maybe a Top 50 or even a Top 100 would give a better picture of the 1990s and what songs sold well.

Anyway, who else is missing from the Top 20? New Order (remember they had their only Number 1 in 1990 with World In Motion), Mariah Carey and Right Said Fred.

Other observations: Perfect Day is the only charity record involving various artistes in the Top 20, there are no Christmas tunes in this list and only four of the songs feature rappers.

• Advertisement

Anyway, who else is missing from the Top 20? New Order (remember they had their only Number 1 in 1990 with World In Motion), Mariah Carey and Right Said Fred.

She's no loss.

Although that sentence has quite an eclectic mix. :pac:

Advertisement