Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workplace Christmas parties: obligation to attend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I sincerely hope you told them to f*ck right off. None of their business.

Well in fairness, if you say you are going to attend and then just dont turn up on the night, people are going to ask if something happened etc. That isnt unreasonable.
    Responding with your suggested response is completely over the top, regardless of whether you dislike every person there or not.

I dont get this thing where people who dislike their work colleagues make their stand by not attending the xmas party. It is passive aggressive behaviour and proves nothing, other than they probably just dont have the guts to find a job where they are happier.. With that in mind, if your colleagues are willing to attend despite the presence of someone displaying that attitude, then you should be too.

Sometimes people foster this mentality that because they dont like anyone, they are almost a victim. This leads to justification of fairly crappy behaviour and attitudes in their own minds. There is a fair bit of it evident on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well in fairness, if you say you are going to attend and then just dont turn up on the night, people are going to ask if something happened etc. That isnt unreasonable.
    Responding with your suggested response is completely over the top, regardless of whether you dislike every person there or not.

There was no suggestion of saying they would turn up and then not bothering from the poster that Deebles replied to.

There was no suggestion of saying they would turn up and then not bothering from the poster that Deebles replied to.

Id suggest that if the manager was asking them the next work day, then it was only discovered that they werent going to attend when they did not show up...
    There are costs involved with that kind of thing. Numbers are given to restaurants ahead of time. If someone did that at a wedding it would be considered pretty ignorant behaviour...

Id suggest that if the manager was asking them the next work day, then it was only discovered that they werent going to attend when they did not show up...
    There are costs involved with that kind of thing. Numbers are given to restaurants ahead of time. If someone did that at a wedding it would be considered pretty ignorant behaviour...

you suggest that based on no evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

You might be overthinking my post, M. No one should be quizzed by the boss as to why they didn't attend an optional outside of work event. Personally, I wouldnt take it and would be likely to say something along the lines of my last post.

• Advertisement

you suggest that based on no evidence.

The evidence is there in the post. They chose not to turn up and the day after they didnt turn up, they were asked about it. If they had made it known they werent goingearlier, the manager would already know prior to the day after the party that they were not attending so would have no need to ask at that point. Its common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

If you dont like them but feel the pressure, turn up to one and mingle and then dont go again. People have terrible memories and will assume you go more often ;)

The evidence is there in the post. They chose not to turn up and the day after they didnt turn up, they were asked about it. If they had made it known they werent goingearlier, the manager would already know prior to the day after the party that they were not attending so would have no need to ask at that point. Its common sense.

I've never known a manager that organised the christmas party themselves. they leave that to others.

You might be overthinking my post, M. No one should be quizzed by the boss as to why they didn't attend an optional outside of work event. Personally, I wouldnt take it and would be likely to say something along the lines of my last post.

Well if they were expected to be there, and hadnt stated that they wouldnt be, then people are going to be wondering, that is just common sense. It could be genuine concern as to some issue arising. Car broken down etc. Maybe they potentially had to foot some cost over the head of it and the manager might be trying to help them out. Automatically jumping to a negative conclusion isnt fair.

If you want to judge behaviour then really and truely nobody should disingenuously act as if they are attending and then just not turn up either, should they? That can go both ways.

I've never known a manager that organised the christmas party themselves. they leave that to others.

Well I have, but even if that is the case, so what? It still doesnt justify messing up the dinner arrangements. That is, again, passive aggresive behaviour.

There are two options. Either make other plans and respectfully decline in good time. Or go, have a couple of steady drinks with your meal, wait until around 11 or 12 and then go home. Most other options involve being a bit of a d*ck, and disliking certain people doesnt justify that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

You'd swear the way people are going on that they were being forced to go for work drinks every Friday.

It's a Christmas party once a year for a few hours.

Mitzy wrote: »
    I have spent the past number of years working for US Multinationals. The last place was totally over the top socially. Event's almost every week and the "holiday" party was a huge event that you were more or less obliged to attend.

I switched jobs this year to an Irish company. There is zero social scene, no Christmas party, nothing. it's wonderful.
    I go to work to do just that - work. I spend my out of work time with friends & family.

I couldn’t be more opposite, much prefer where there is loads of nights out etc for work. Great to have it to look forward to on a Thursday night or what ever to get you though the week. I’d find a place like your new place fairly boring to work for as I like the regular social outings with work friends, work is too big a part of your life to just see it as “work” and nothing more imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

You'd swear the way people are going on that they were being forced to go for work drinks every Friday.

It's a Christmas party once a year for a few hours.

Exactly. I think most people can manage some polite chat for an hour or two, if they can't or don't want to give up the whole evening for it.

I worked in a place where we *were* expected to go for work drinks every Friday and that was draining. Basically if you wanted any hope of a promotion or decent hours, you had to go and people who didn't ever go were 'punished'. I tried to explain to the manager how grossly unfair this was towards people with commitments like caring responsibilities, or disabilities (invisible ones too), who didn't drink or who simply didn't want to spend their precious free time with the people they'd seen all week, but he told me to stop being such a whiner. I think he actively wanted to surround himself with people just like him - male, 20-30s, childless with no life outside work. Horrible place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

I couldn’t be more opposite, much prefer where there is loads of nights out etc for work. Great to have it to look forward to on a Thursday night or what ever to get you though the week. I’d find a place like your new place fairly boring to work for as I like the regular social outings with work friends, work is too big a part of your life to just see it as “work” and nothing more imo.

Well it's just the culture here. It's not a boring place to work at all. People are more than friendly & Nice but they have a lot of family commitments which take priority. Also many have very long commutes that hinders their ability to be able to go out socially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

There are two options. Either make other plans and respectfully decline in good time. Or go, have a couple of steady drinks with your meal, wait until around 11 or 12 and then go home. Most other options involve being a bit of a d*ck, and disliking certain people doesnt justify that.
    That worked for me the last time, but on a few occasions I have been called a dry shyte for leaving early, or because I didn't get up and dance, or a snobby bastard because I didn't talk to all the women in my department, (I was chatting to some of the fellas from a different department because I hadn't seen them in ages.) You just can't please some people.

i'm looking forward to it

I prefer the 3rd option. Go out have the craic, drink like you just came from a month in the desert and have a great night of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I prefer the 3rd option. Go out have the craic, drink like you just came from a month in the desert and have a great night of it!

My company is full of 'full time mad bastards' like you and I'd rather not send any more time in their presence than is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭jackboy

Always a strange night from my workplace. The same two married people slobbering over each other all night, while everyone stares at them. Couple of married middle aged men relentlessly trying to get off with the young female staff. Now and again one of them succeeds, leading to guilt and tears afterwards, from the young girl. All a bit grim really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

That worked for me the last time, but on a few occasions I have been called a dry shyte for leaving early, or because I didn't get up and dance, or a snobby bastard because I didn't talk to all the women in my department, (I was chatting to some of the fellas from a different department because I hadn't seen them in ages.) You just can't please some people.

And you never will either.

In my experience you will receive as many beatings for not doing something as you will get for doing something.

If someone does not like you, there is nothing you can do, forget about it. In fact what someone else thinks about you is actually none of your business.

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    My company is full of 'full time mad bastards' like you and I'd rather not send any more time in their presence than is necessary.

Could you imagine having to go for a drink with this ….. the sheer pain of it.

Schwiiing wrote: »

I’ve haven’t much interest in hanging around with dry sh1tes like yourself as it’s pretty boring and only ruins the craic!

jackboy wrote: »
    Always a strange night from my workplace. The same two married people slobbering over each other all night, while everyone stares at them. Couple of married middle aged men relentlessly trying to get off with the young female staff. Now and again one of them succeeds, leading to guilt and tears afterwards, from the young girl. All a bit grim really.

Great to see year end promotions are still on the up and up.

How else are people to get ahead these days in fairness? The annual system of annual employee evaluation has never been so robust.

Nothing secures a pay rise better than some rumpy pumpy at the Christmas party.... yeh baby.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Great to see year end promotions are still on the up and up.

How else are people to get ahead these days in fairness? The annual system of annual employee evaluation has never been so robust.

Nothing secures a pay rise better than some rumpy pumpy at the Christmas party.... yeh baby.

It’s not management chasing the girls so the girls are getting nothing out of it. Free drink is a curse.

It’s not management chasing the girls so the girls are getting nothing out of it. Free drink is a curse.

Are they shifting openly or is " off dance floor " type of stuff?

Is there much grabbing and straining ? I quite enjoy watching some of the older staff lechering and learing over the nubiles. It is oddly sexy , almost like a right of passage?

It is so wrong in so many ways … and yet.

Are they shifting openly or is " off dance floor " type of stuff?

Is there much grabbing and straining ? I quite enjoy watching some of the older staff lechering and learing over the nubiles. It is oddly sexy , almost like a right of passage?

It is so wrong in so many ways … and yet.

It’s wide open and obvious. Everyone staring and tut tutting but of course the poor spouses at home never get informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

"BUT SURE ITS THE CRAIC WHY ARENT YOU HAVING THE CRAIC"

The first line of the National anthem of the total f**king moron

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

It’s wide open and obvious. Everyone staring and tut tutting but of course the poor spouses at home never get informed.

There is a certain revenge going on here though, don't you think? Surely if these sweaty old learing men were getting it at home they would have no need for it at the office party? What do you reckon?

Or is it the ladies getting their annual review in early?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

buried wrote: »
    "BUT SURE ITS THE CRAIC WHY ARENT YOU HAVING THE CRAIC"

The first line of the National anthem of the total f**king moron

You’re right we should go quietly from the cradle for the grave. And careful not to laugh and let you’re hair down along the way for fear you’ll offend someone or look stupid! Christ almighty if this is the mindset of people. No wonder mental illness is so prevalent in this country with the level of social scrutiny.

• Advertisement

There is a certain revenge going on here though, don't you think? Surely if these sweaty old learing men were getting it at home they would have no need for it at the office party? What do you reckon?

I shudder to think how they treat their spouses at home.

smurgen wrote: »
    You’re right we should go quietly from the cradle for the grave. And careful not to laugh and let you’re hair down along the way for fear you’ll offend someone or look stupid! Christ almighty if this is the mindset of people. No wonder mental illness is so prevalent in this country with the level of social scrutiny.

It isn’t, it’s just in fashion these days.

Gway to f**k with that $hite man, "social scrutiny" social scrutiny me hole, go down to the A&E this weekend and have a look at the "social scrutiny" down there from all these apes let out for the one night of the year they think they can down 12 pints and shots over the 12 pubs of Christmas. Plenty of ways to enjoy yourself without ruining it for everyone else acting like a out of control moronic animal. Mental illness, yeah your right, a large portion of it is caused by alcohol and alcoholics to go with it.

Gway to f**k with that $hite man, "social scrutiny" social scrutiny me hole, go down to the A&E this weekend and have a look at the "social scrutiny" down there from all these apes let out for the one night of the year they think they can down 12 pints and shots over the 12 pubs of Christmas. Plenty of ways to enjoy yourself without ruining it for everyone else acting like a out of control moronic animal. Mental illness, yeah your right, a large portion of it is caused by alcohol and alcoholics to go with it.

The only option is to ban Christmas as far as I can see, I swear.

If there was no Christmas the HSE would be doing fine. The A&E could have a breather at last.

The only option is to ban Christmas as far as I can see, I swear.

If there was no Christmas the HSE would be doing fine. The A&E could have a breather at last.

Or maybe, you know people could stop acting like f**king morons if they cant handle alcohol maybe? Maybe know their limits in a supposed civilised society?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Christ well I won’t argue the fact that we both think you should leave off the drink. And your arguement is a lazy tired one by the way. Go to pubs and nightclubs all over the country all year and you’ll see people enjoying themselves and socializing.sure the negative aspects of drink are easy to quantify but the positive aspects are not. It can be part of a healthy social life and plenty of people have met partners etc on nights out. Like it or lump it it is a part of many western cultures.

• Advertisement

Christ well I won’t argue the fact that we both think you should leave off the drink. And your arguement is a lazy tired one by the way. Go to pubs and nightclubs all over the country all year and you’ll see people enjoying themselves and socializing.sure the negative aspects of drink are easy to quantify but the positive aspects are not. It can be part of a healthy social life and plenty of people have met partners etc on nights out. Like it or lump it it is a part of many western cultures.

We're not talking about other times of the year though are we? This is a Christmas party thread, no? And not every single western culture demands everybody go out and get absolutely $hitfaced as part of some lame workplace tradition to get as mangled up as possible just because "THE CRAIC" demands it at Christmas time. Its f**king grim.

Or maybe, you know people could stop acting like f**king morons if they cant handle alcohol maybe? Maybe know their limits in a supposed civilised society?

Yeh, get some decent crowd control going.

If you organise the rallies I am sure they will turn up. especially the morons. Just put a blanket alcohol ban on the same day, see how that works out for you.

Happy hunting.

Yeh, get some decent crowd control going.

If you organise the rallies I am sure they will turn up. especially the morons. Just put a blanket alcohol ban on the same day, see how that works out for you.

Happy hunting.

lol What are you on about man??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

To be honest I can sort of take or leave the Christmas party, but I draw the line where there's some sort of obligation to attend. It's not fun if you have to go, and there's not much worse than forced fun. That being said most places I've worked in have been great in terms of decent colleagues and having a bit of a laugh, on the whole I'd say I've had very few bad ones, and some really great nights.

There are a couple of downsides though, when there's some sort of repercussions to the party itself. I've worked in places where they've had the party midweek, the drinks start early and everyone is expected to be in at 9am the next day. Fair enough you say, but surely a bit of leeway on this. Don't lay on free drink for people from early evening if you expect everyone to be fresh for work the next day. One place I worked in a lad didn't show up for work the next day. He got fired. No prior warnings or anything like that, he didn't do anything bad at the party itself, but that was it for him. Very harsh I thought.

Similarly there was an after work company event in a different place. It was an event for clients but all the staff were invited (told) to go. On the day of the party one lad was asked if he needed a lift. The boss looked very shocked when he told him he wasn't going. His reasoning (which he didn't tell the boss) was that it was his evening and that it was his choice. A reasonable thing to believe I thought, if one that I knew was not going to help his advancement in the company. It wasn't long later where he was made redundant under fairly tenuous reasoning. He had been there a very long time and I felt quite sorry for him.

There are a couple of other instances like this, particularly when it comes to people being pulled in front of HR over something said or done at the party. Interactions of a certain type might also end up bringing up all sorts of trouble later too, no matter how innocent. I don't buy into this idea that it's a relaxed environment, because it sure as hell isn't for a lot of people, it's a work function. Enjoy yourself, but within the parameters of the Employee Handbook.....meh.

In any event it's a whole lot more enjoyable than the likes of the company away days where they break you out into groups to brainstorm about how to reach your goals or some ****e like that. They actually are mandatory which is even worse!

ligerdub wrote: »
    To be honest I can sort of take or leave the Christmas party, but I draw the line where there's some sort of obligation to attend. It's not fun if you have to go, and there's not much worse than forced fun. That being said most places I've worked in have been great in terms of decent colleagues and having a bit of a laugh, on the whole I'd say I've had very few bad ones, and some really great nights.

There are a couple of downsides though, when there's some sort of repercussions to the party itself. I've worked in places where they've had the party midweek, the drinks start early and everyone is expected to be in at 9am the next day. Fair enough you say, but surely a bit of leeway on this. Don't lay on free drink for people from early evening if you expect everyone to be fresh for work the next day. One place I worked in a lad didn't show up for work the next day. He got fired. No prior warnings or anything like that, he didn't do anything bad at the party itself, but that was it for him. Very harsh I thought.

Similarly there was an after work company event in a different place. It was an event for clients but all the staff were invited (told) to go. On the day of the party one lad was asked if he needed a lift. The boss looked very shocked when he told him he wasn't going. His reasoning (which he didn't tell the boss) was that it was his evening and that it was his choice. A reasonable thing to believe I thought, if one that I knew was not going to help his advancement in the company. It wasn't long later where he was made redundant under fairly tenuous reasoning. He had been there a very long time and I felt quite sorry for him.

There are a couple of other instances like this, particularly when it comes to people being pulled in front of HR over something said or done at the party. Interactions of a certain type might also end up bringing up all sorts of trouble later too, no matter how innocent. I don't buy into this idea that it's a relaxed environment, because it sure as hell isn't for a lot of people, it's a work function. Enjoy yourself, but within the parameters of the Employee Handbook.....meh.

In any event it's a whole lot more enjoyable than the likes of the company away days where they break you out into groups to brainstorm about how to reach your goals or some ****e like that. They actually are mandatory which is even worse!

A place I used to work in used to send a memo out every year threatening disciplinary action for any reported misbehaviour at Christmas parties. The thing is that they weren’t organising it, playing a penny towards it, and it wasn’t even booked in their name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

I'm missing the party this year as the date doesn't suit but will be going for drinks with a crowd on the last friday after work. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Mine was tonight. So ****ing good. I talked to so many people I never usually would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Go out have the craic, drink like you just came from a month in the desert and have a great night of it!

Anyone who uses terminology like this is someone I would much prefer to not be around on a work night out or function. Maybe you have a different way of showing your excitement or enthusiasm but that phrase is like something you would hear the boys state heading to the Euro's.

The prevalence of mental health is not because of "social scrutiny", using this topic an example, any judgement is a direct result of, and relating to those who are disruptive and were just acting like tools.

Most people cannot handle their drink and in general, don't know when enough is enough. But when it comes to work functions there is a difference between co-workers intermingling, letting their hair down and having a laugh, and those in a lad-setting, where their primary concern is getting wrecked. Then you have the jokes "sniffin pills or on the bag" which put so much emphasis on their behaviour.

Our Xmas functions are formal. The summer party is more relaxed. Maybe other peoples functions don't have that much emphasis placed on image/brand during attendance, but it's neither the time or place to act the bollox. I worked retail for 10 years, I was a manager for the last 1/4. Iv saw some questionable situations and less attractive sights involving staff. Its part of retails. Iv done it. But when you get into corporate culture you just done carry on like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

ive never felt obligated to attend christmas work function.
    did once a fair few years ago and enjoyed it - dinner and music and disco (i did say it was a while back:)

dont do it any more. just dont have the energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Thread shows that a lot of people who don’t like work parties, really, really don’t like them. That’s why employers shouldn’t pressure anyone to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thread shows that a lot of people who don’t like work parties, really, really don’t like them. That’s why employers shouldn’t pressure anyone to go.
    The pressure tends not to come from the employers but from colleagues. Thankfully I have earned a reputation for being grumpy sour joyless and antisocial and no one is surprised when I say No to the party invitation.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Anyone who uses terminology like this is someone I would much prefer to not be around on a work night out or function.

Every second post of his is about going on the session, its sad as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Misery loves company eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

I have read a few replies already on the thread, here is my tuppence.

I went to many christmas parties when i was younger, i had a great time, probably because i was a 48 hour party person at that time and it was just another part of the weekend that would fit into the overall party.

Forward on a few years and i have a family, mortgage etc, and have moved up into management in company, the majority of the other management in the company you discover are two faced snakes that would f*ck you over in an act, are the same people who try to pressurise you into attending christmas party as they see it as a part of your job to attend, in other words, they dont want to be there really with the employees from the floor and are only doing it as it is a part of their job.

Forward on a few more years, moved jobs and still in management, most of the staff attending the christmas party now are young, single and up for a 48 hour party, the idea of even going for a few hours and having to make my way home seems to me like a chore in itself, i have all the things mentioned here thrown at me, i am anti social, killjoy, boring etc et al, all like water off a ducks back, my reply to that is for anyone who wants to go, go and have a great time and i hope they do, its just not for me.

I would much rather stay home and watch an episode of star trek, the x files or Twilight zone by the fire with a mince pie and glass of wine only needing to saunter down my hall to crash into bed when i am so tired from the lack of oxygen in the room the fire has consumed.

Wake up next morning fresh in my own home and open up back doors with nice cup of coffee to start the day, watch the birds hop around the trees.

To anyone who has been invited to or has an option to attend a Christmas party, if you feel like you would enjoy it, go and have a blast, if you have any reason you don’t feel like you would, tell them out straight, you don’t want and wouldn’t enjoy it, then wish them well.

To managers that are only attending because they see it as part of their job, your still a w*nker, as you are only going out of obligation and not the line that you feed out all the time,

To get to know people you work with in a relaxed environment outside of work.

Our Xmas functions are formal. The summer party is more relaxed. Maybe other peoples functions don't have that much emphasis placed on image/brand during attendance, but it's neither the time or place to act the bollox. I worked retail for 10 years, I was a manager for the last 1/4. Iv saw some questionable situations and less attractive sights involving staff. Its part of retails. Iv done it. But when you get into corporate culture you just done carry on like that.

Where you work maybe, not everywhere has such an up their own arse culture to a bit of craic. I’ve had monster sessions with very senior people who are just as much up for the craic as anyone and that’s in different companies in high end tech and would know plenty of people working in different companies who have no issue with a big session and bit of craic at the Christmas party.

To be honest I don’t treat work nights out any different to a night out with the lads and not only has it not hindered me it has in fact helped my career as in a number of occasions on a big session where senior people have been involved I’ve got taking with them and on one occasion I ended up moving team to work for them and on many others it means I have their ear for sorting stuff out.

Sad? The boring existence some appear to live around here is soul destroying to think about and actually sad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement