Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottomless Brunch

• 02-12-2019 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Anyone try this in Dywers? Apparently you can get unlimited prosecco or Mimosas for an hour and a half for 25 quid. T&C apply. Anyone know what the terms and conditions are?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine one of them is that if you are plastered, you will be asked to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That just sounds weird... I'm going to an electrical store, on a weekend morning to get **** faced... And have poached eggs on toast...
    Although the cafe is supposed to be really good...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

Markcheese wrote: »
    That just sounds weird... I'm going to an electrical store, on a weekend morning to get **** faced... And have poached eggs on toast...
    Although the cafe is supposed to be really good...

I can't tell if that's a wind up or not??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nothing to see here, no problems with alcohol in this country.

.red. wrote: »
    I can't tell if that's a wind up or not??

Well yes about getting **** faced..
    But the cafe is supposed to really nice.. (But I haven't actually eaten there...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

But the cafe is supposed to really nice.. (But I haven't actually eaten there...)

It's not the same Dwyers! (one presumes, anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lol mixing up your Dwyers there I think ;)

It's not the same Dwyers! (one presumes, anyway).

Ttthhhhhaaaattttt makes more sense, I just didnt think of Washington Street...
    (... But Eden cafe in dwyers electrical is supposed to be nice... Mumble mumble mumble)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

Unlimited mimosas and an electric chainsaw please.

You should go to a brunch in Dubai, makes a bottomless brunch look like a toddlers tea party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wonder what the fair usage policy is

You should go to a brunch in Dubai, makes a bottomless brunch look like a toddlers tea party.

I don't really care what they do in Dubai, I don't live there.

I don't really care what they do in Dubai, I don't live there.

What’s the issue with a bottomless brunch? It’s about 2 hours of Prosecco and some food. It’s a bit of craic for those who want to do it. I wouldnt do it as I’d rather a rake of pints rather than Prosecco but why you would get bothered over it is beyond me. The dryness is strong obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Ttthhhhhaaaattttt makes more sense, I just didnt think of Washington Street...
    (... But Eden cafe in dwyers electrical is supposed to be nice... Mumble mumble mumble)

When I read the OP I thought the same as you. I work near Forge Hill and go for breakfast once a week. Was looking forward to the next one :-)
    Ah well.

What’s the issue with a bottomless brunch? It’s about 2 hours of Prosecco and some food. It’s a bit of craic for those who want to do it. I wouldnt do it as I’d rather a rake of pints rather than Prosecco but why you would get bothered over it is beyond me. The dryness is strong obviously.

I don't care for wasted gob****es who see it as a challenge to floor as many within the timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Its a crap offer really.
    The brunch there is only mediocre, certainly it is a far cry from bottomless. You'd still be hungry after it.

And as for the prosecco, what would you want with drinking prosecco at 11am? tis far from prosecco anyone in Cork was reared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Brunch is for wimps, there is only one thing annoys me more and that's people offering to meet me for breakfast, I always decline, is that how important you think I am that you can squeeze me in before work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

The bitterness is strong in this thread LOL

The bitterness is strong in this thread LOL

We should all meet for brunch and talk it over. Anyone know a good place?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Its a crap offer really.
    The brunch there is only mediocre, certainly it is a far cry from bottomless. You'd still be hungry after it.

And as for the prosecco, what would you want with drinking prosecco at 11am? tis far from prosecco anyone in Cork was reared.

To be fair not everyone conforms to the 'out at 9pm home at 3 am timeline'. People have different work schedules, sleep schedules etc...I've always been a morning person, I would think nothing of going for such a breakfast (though it doesn't interest me), but I wouldn't be arsed going out and coming home at 4 am after a lock-in and then sleeping until 2 in the afternoon as some people find 'fun'.

• Advertisement

To be fair not everyone conforms to the 'out at 9pm home at 3 am timeline'. People have different work schedules, sleep schedules etc...I've always been a morning person, I would think nothing of going for such a breakfast (though it doesn't interest me), but I wouldn't be arsed going out and coming home at 4 am after a lock-in and then sleeping until 2 in the afternoon as some people find 'fun'.

Im a fan of both, hit Charlie’s in the morning and come home at 2am when the last bar closes :D

Im a fan of both, hit Charlie’s in the morning and come home at 2am when the last bar closes :D

You must be aged 18-26 then !!!

You must be aged 18-26 then !!!

I left my 20’s behind a few years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What an apt username for this discussion. ;)

*clutches pearls* Quick, slap a ban on it.

Your heavy drinkers will have no interest whatsoever in several thimbles of prosecco with some poached eggs on toast. They will be in the early house, or at home with their slabs.

This is adding to the diversity of our food, drink and cultural offerings in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I don't care for wasted gob****es who see it as a challenge to floor as many within the timeframe.

You're making an assumption that will be the case. I'm sure there will be fools in attendance who get too drunk but that may be the exception rather than the rule (perhaps I'm the overly optimistic) Crawford and Co. have been doing this for quite some time and I don't think there's been a surge in drunken behaviour in the city - the same fools will be fools.

There is a drink culture in Ireland but it's people unable to stop drinking after they begin to indulge then overdoing it rather than the establishments serving them, that's my thoughts on it but look, this has been a topic of conversation in Ireland since the year dot

pwurple wrote: »
    This is adding to the diversity of our food, drink and cultural offerings in the city.

Overegging the pudding somewhat.

Overegging the pudding somewhat.

How?

Our inner city is evolving away from strips of high street UK shops and moving to a more modern, wide range of offerings, where we have galleries, pubs, cafes, parks, events, sports and music venues in our city centers.

Brunch with a drink is one tiny additional pin in that map.

Brunch with a drink is one tiny additional pin in that map.

Brunch with a drink does not equal brunch with all you can drink prosecco in a given time.

It is all over North America too and as someone said, Dubai too and I am sure plenty of other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭RINO87

If you don't have any responsibilities such as kids or work etc then at the weekend....

Daytime boozing > Nighttime boozing. IMO, of course!

Brunch with a drink does not equal brunch with all you can drink prosecco in a given time.

Again, interesting that the posters apparently appalled by this concept have booze in their username. :D

Have you seen people falling out of there, or what is the problem?

Is it a misogynist thing? Brunch with Prosecco is more likely to appeal to women... so, male drinking good, female drinking to be tightly controlled and limited. Is it a catholic thing? (Can’t be a COI thing as COI get to drink the wine in church on a Sunday. The catholic congregation just imagine the smell of it)

This country, swear to god we are still shackled by some puritan mumbo jumbo. I was in France over the summer, stayed in a village. Sunday morning (11am) the community was out in the town square after church. The kids playing in the playground, the parents and grandparents sitting at cafes , some having a glass of cider or wine, some having coffee, having a chat and a laugh before strolling home for dinner. Nobody drunk, just relaxing on a Sunday.

Can I buy a bottle of wine here to put in a beef stew on a Sunday morning? What! No way you crazed alcoholic.

Are there tuts and raised eyebrows at the very idea of drink with a late brekkie / early lunch? Apparently so. What is this concept... eating and drinking at the same time? you must only be downing shots of jager at 2am, or horsing into ten pints in a noisy pub. that’s the civilized way, right?

This country, swear to god we are still shackled by some puritan mumbo jumbo. I was in France over the summer, stayed in a village. Sunday morning (11am) the community was out in the town square after church. The kids playing in the playground, the parents and grandparents sitting at cafes , some having a glass of cider or wine, some having coffee, having a chat and a laugh before strolling home for dinner. Nobody drunk, just relaxing on a Sunday.

Can I buy a bottle of wine here to put in a beef stew on a Sunday morning? What! No way you crazed alcoholic.

Are there tuts and raised eyebrows at the very idea of drink with a late brekkie / early lunch? Apparently so. What is this concept... eating and drinking at the same time? you must only be downing shots of jager at 2am, or horsing into ten pints in a noisy pub. that’s the civilized way, right?

Had to check that I hadnt wrote this, agree with it all.

I was more interested in the idea that it sounded like a promotion that could go wrong for the restaurant. I just had a look at the menu though. You get to pick one item from the brunch menu and then unlimited prosecco. The most expensive item on the brunch menu is €8.50 and the cheapest bottle of prosecco is €8. So even if you drank 2 bottles of prosecco in an hour and a half you still wouldn't be breaking even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭PreCocious

Again, interesting that the posters apparently appalled by this concept have booze in their username. :D

Is it a misogynist thing? Brunch with Prosecco is more likely to appeal to women... so, male drinking good, female drinking to be tightly controlled and limited. Is it a catholic thing? (Can’t be a COI thing as COI get to drink the wine in church on a Sunday. The catholic congregation just imagine the smell of it)

Lol. Try buying a bottle of wine in a French village on a Sunday afternoon.

PreCocious wrote: »
    Lol. Try buying a bottle of wine in a French village on a Sunday afternoon.

:pac::pac: True that, all gone home for a snooze! It's not banned though, and I could certainly go down the hypermarche and pick something up.

• Advertisement

Yester wrote: »
    I was more interested in the idea that it sounded like a promotion that could go wrong for the restaurant. I just had a look at the menu though. You get to pick one item from the brunch menu and then unlimited prosecco. The most expensive item on the brunch menu is €8.50 and the cheapest bottle of prosecco is €8. So even if you drank 2 bottles of prosecco in an hour and a half you still wouldn't be breaking even.

Wouldn't the stomach be ripped off you if you drank two bottles of wine in 90 minutes? Is that your plan... go in there solo, and just neck it?

Wouldn't the stomach be ripped off you if you drank two bottles of wine in 90 minutes? Is that your plan... go in there solo, and just neck it?

You would have to drink 3 bottles to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Yester wrote: »

That 8 euro prosecco is a mini bottle (snipe -circa 200ml)not a full size of course as no restaurant is selling 70cl bottles of prosecco for 8 euro. Sure you would hardly get one in Lidl for that ! .

A glass of prosecco is 6 euro so 3 glasses and your ahead and that is easy when most pubs will get 6 glasses out of a bottle of bubbly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

In my experience of brunches like this in Dublin "bottomless" Mimosas are heavily sugared up to obscure how watered down the alcohol is. Anyone expecting cheap drink from these kind of promotions is kidding themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    In my experience of brunches like this in Dublin "bottomless" Mimosas are heavily sugared up to obscure how watered down the alcohol is. Anyone expecting cheap drink from these kind of promotions is kidding themselves.

Generally, I would agree, but had bottomless brunch in Crawford and Co. a few months back and I came out of there quite merry :o:pac: Had it in Dwyers before that and they were mimosas but definitely watered down a bit cos they were coming with over with a new glass each time, in Crawford and Co they were just topping up the glass at the table, so the prosecco was coming straight out of the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Waaaah wwwaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaah

Is it a misogynist thing? Brunch with Prosecco is more likely to appeal to women... so, male drinking good, female drinking to be tightly controlled and limited.

Jesus wept.
    That's some extrapolation there.

Yes, I'm a misogynist because I don't approve of all you can drink in a set time deals!
    Seriously?

I have zero issue with anyone having a drink with breakfast or brunch. None.

It's all you can drink deals I find distasteful.

But if I disagree with you, it seems I'm a misogynist.

Jesus wept.
    That's some extrapolation there.

Yes, I'm a misogynist because I don't approve of all you can drink in a set time deals!
    Seriously?

I have zero issue with anyone having a drink with breakfast or brunch. None.

It's all you can drink deals I find distasteful.

But if I disagree with you, it seems I'm a misogynist.

There were a series of questions in my post you have selectively snipped, intended to find the source of your disapproval. This is the one that triggered it seems.

;)

There were a series of questions in my post you have selectively snipped, intended to find the source of your disapproval. This is the one that triggered it seems.

;)

Well, shoehorning everything you don't agree with into a sexist agenda does boil my piss, admittedly.
    You have form in doing this.

Advertisement