Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times did it take you to pass your driving test?

Options
  • 08-12-2019 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Six. Terrible I know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

1. But I shouldn’t have passed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Passed first time over 20 years ago.

Still learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Once,at the time they stopped all this letting people away with driving on a provisional stuff . Before that I just drove on a provisional .

Once. Think I dropped only one point or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

passed first time.

always disappointed with the quality of road users nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Once. I wore leather hotpants, a boob tube and stilettos, but that had absolutely nothing to do with me being a success.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Passed second time.
    I wasn't ready the first time if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Passed first time at age 17. Assessor said I did a flawless test but to watch for parked cars opening doors. I will never forget the elation leaving the testing centre, mainly because my older brother who fancied himself as a great driver had failed several times and I had my licence before him. He was like a dog when I got home

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

First time too. 10 years ago. My instructor told me not to show up for the test as I wasn’t ready and didn’t have the required competency yet to pass. I believed he was wrong, it proved I was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 80sChild

Strumms wrote: »
    First time too. 10 years ago. My instructor told me not to show up for the test as I wasn’t ready and didn’t have the required competency yet to pass. I believed he was wrong, it proved I was right.

First time too. Tester so professional and put me at ease. Easier to concentrate without excess anxiety. Great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Your Face wrote: »
    Passed second time.
    I wasn't ready the first time if I'm honest.

Same as this, pissed it the second time

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

My father bought me a Honda 50 when I was 12. I spent a few years driving it and a few others around a two acre field. When I was 16 and a day I got my licence £6 and insurance £132. I eventually did the test at 29 on a 1978 Kawasaki z1000.

I passed the car test at 21 in England. No driving on your 5th provisional over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Passed it second time but to be fair, chanced my arm doing first test with a few weeks driving experience and about 3 lessons and quite rightly failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

One.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anybody else just quickly skipping over the wanky first time look at me posts?

My daughter 24 passed hers a few weeks ago at the first attempt. She wanted to wait till college was out of the way.

Last week was the first week she's driven to and from work on her own.

OMG so proud of my beautiful daughter .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Failed first time in Irl.
    Passed first time in UK almost 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Passed first time too. Got in a bit before the mandatory driving lessons thing. Dropped 1 point on not putting on my hazards at a construction stop. The entire place was lit up with flashing orange lights, didn't think I needed to put mine on too. Ah well.
    I actually posted this over ten years ago on boards. Anyone know what way that works? Why do some green ones have marks?

IIRC, the greens ones are advisories, so you could have something like 10 of them to fail. Only a few of the next blue was a fail, and a red was an immediate fail.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Passed the third time. Failed first time when I blatantly wasn't ready, failed the second time for someone that was at the very worst a grade 2 fault but the guy was a notorious cnut so chose to fail me. The same guy tested and passed me the third time, much to his very obvious disappointment that he didn't even try to hide. Didn't even tell me I'd passed or say congratulations, just slid the certificate of competency across the table and told me to sign it. Nice fella :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Passed first time, thought I failed when he said take the next right and went to turn in to a cemetery (suppose technically I wasn't wrong but didn't think that at the time)
    So delighted wanted to driver home but instructor wouldn't let me - pumped with adrenaline and endorphins

Passed the third time. Failed first time when I blatantly wasn't ready, failed the second time for someone that was at the very worst a grade 2 fault but the guy was a notorious cnut so chose to fail me. The same guy tested and passed me the third time, much to his very obvious disappointment that he didn't even try to hide. Didn't even tell me I'd passed or say congratulations, just slid the certificate of competency across the table and told me to sign it. Nice fella :pac:

Was that in Nenagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

First time pass. Had my mind on other things, so I was in the frame of mind where I was just taking the tester for a spin, and doing what he told me.

No big deal. ‘Turn left here. Go up there. etc.’

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Passed first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

First time. Aged 23.

Pranged my car two weeks later, pulling into a parking space too fast, still on a high from being a “real” driver. Not a bump in the 25 years since. Well, not my bump; car written off while parked outside my house!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Twice...failed first time, passed second time. Nearly 20 years ago now.

I actually think everyone should have to re-sit their driving test every decade. There are so many bad drivers on the roads you wonder how they could possibly have passed.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

sligojoek wrote: »
    Was that in Nenagh?

No, Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

In Ireland, I got it on my 3rd try. My first fail was harsh. Second was fair.

In the US, passed the first time.

No, Killarney.

There was a legendry tester in Nenagh years ago. Same guy who passed me on the bike.

If there was a crack in your indicator lens you'd be sent home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Twice and once - different categories

Advertisement