Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont use your own money or a business loan - you crazy? Crowdsource!

Options
  • 05-12-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭

So i'm seeing this trend becoming more and more popular.
    Anyone famous, even some what "famous" asking for you to crowdsource their venture, hospital bill or whatever. God forbid they could of course... you know, pay for it themselves :pac:

A few examples to what I mean:
    - Scott "Razor Ramon" Hall (Then WWF wrestler back in the day) asked for money on indieGoGo a couple of years ago for a hip replacement. Despite being a millionaire himself. He got 98 thousand euro in the end. He is also on a reported near 100k WWE legends-contract per year today.

- Just recently, Barry Lewis (an english youtube type personality who makes food related videos - somewhat popular too!) has said how he plans on opening up a pizzeria in his hometown that will also double as cooking school. Problem is, he doesnt want to use his own money or get a business loan :pac: That's right you can help barry create his own business and in return get sweet f-ck all :pac:

Am I missing something? Why do people give to this sort?
    Like some dying child who needs an operation. Absolutely!

Comments

I've had a strong dislike for Zach Braff since he did similar to fund a film. It's one thing people who have nothing but someone with money but just doesn't want to risk it can piss off.

Also was Scott Hall not fairly broke by the time he needed the hip done?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've had a strong dislike for Zach Braff since he did similar to fund a film. It's one thing people who have nothing but someone with money but just doesn't want to risk it can piss off.

Also was Scott Hall not fairly broke by the time he needed the hip done?

That's the thing. It was assumed because of his drink habit he pissed it all away. Then he does an ESPN documentary and he is still living in a mansion. Reports say he has 3 million. Only he knows that for sure but he is far from poor in anycase.

and you said a great word... "risk" - why play with your own money when you can get some idiot to part with his :pac:
    I just don't know why people give it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Had very similar thoughts watching a "documentary" about some chef opening up a little restaurant in a crappy rundown part of Liverpool iirc a short wile ago. This bloke has other restaurants and yet this new thing was a complete crowdfundsourcethingy and it looked like people were flinging the money at him, accumulated way over the needed budget.

I don't get it. I'm just not up to date with today's world, not sure I want to be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭Allinall

How do you think these people get rich in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

My dad always said 'There's very few honest millionaires'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

theteal wrote: »
    I don't get it. I'm just not up to date with today's world, not sure I want to be either.

I reckon all this carry is just a replacement for the stuff that went on when the church was in full sway. Remember people used to:

- feel smug about donations given
    - erect plaques in churches referring said donations
    - travel to exotic locations but justify it as a pilgrimage
    - berate others smugly for not being as devout
    - venerate children who were bearers of special messages
    - meditate on the saints who lived perfect lives
    - look for guidance on how to live their lives
    - hang the ills of the world on fallen figure
    - seek to curry favour with figures in the hierarchy
    - keenly listen out for blasphemies as a means of catching out a rival
    - repeat prayers of no practical value for those who are less well off

They are human needs basically on a certain level and they are now being met in new ways.

Each one of those has a modern post-church guise and I'll leave to you to work out what has stepped into each of the respective vacuums. Of course the list isn't exhaustive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

From crowdsourcing to religion. That was a quick turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Vita nova

It's strange alright but as long as people aren't being misled or defrauded then let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Crowdsourcing is using the general public to make something using their ideas or skills.

Using the public for money is called crowdfunding.

Also i have noticed crowdfunding can mean dodgy taxes.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I remember during the same sex marriage referendum and the 8th amendment referendum people setting up funding pages so they could go home to vote. I thought it was fairly cheeky. I'm not paying so you can come home to vote. If it means that much to you use your own money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭quokula

So i'm seeing this trend becoming more and more popular.
    Anyone famous, even some what "famous" asking for you to crowdsource their venture, hospital bill or whatever. God forbid they could of course... you know, pay for it themselves :pac:

A few examples to what I mean:
    - Scott "Razor Ramon" Hall (Then WWF wrestler back in the day) asked for money on indieGoGo a couple of years ago for a hip replacement. Despite being a millionaire himself. He got 98 thousand euro in the end. He is also on a reported near 100k WWE legends-contract per year today.

- Just recently, Barry Lewis (an english youtube type personality who makes food related videos - somewhat popular too!) has said how he plans on opening up a pizzeria in his hometown that will also double as cooking school. Problem is, he doesnt want to use his own money or get a business loan :pac: That's right you can help barry create his own business and in return get sweet f-ck all :pac:

Am I missing something? Why do people give to this sort?
    Like some dying child who needs an operation. Absolutely!

There’s conflicting reports about Scott Hall’s worth online so I don’t know if he is a millionaire and earning that salary, but I do know there’s a long history of WWE treating their performers really badly and retired wrestlers finding themselves bankrupt after a career fuelled by steroids and blows to the head catches up to them and they’re subjected to American healthcare costs, as the promoter doesn’t provide ongoing insurance cover. So I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case here, he wouldn’t be the first to resort to crowdfunding in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

quokula wrote: »
    There’s conflicting reports about Scott Hall’s worth online so I don’t know if he is a millionaire and earning that salary, but I do know there’s a long history of WWE treating their performers really badly and retired wrestlers finding themselves bankrupt after a career fuelled by steroids and blows to the head catches up to them and they’re subjected to American healthcare costs, as the promoter doesn’t provide ongoing insurance cover. So I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case here, he wouldn’t be the first to resort to crowdfunding in this way.
    He murdered a guy a few years ago too.He also abused drugs and booze.

Advertisement