Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead calf.

Options
  • 25-12-2017 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Had a incalf heifer calved yesterday evening had to get vet to and had a tough pull. Calf never got up and would not suck. Had to stomach tube him but the whore died at around 2 in the morning.
    I tagged him this morning for the BVD. Do I register him as still born. When I bring to the knacker do I need any movement papers. Or what is the procedure.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sligoronan wrote: »
    Had a incalf heifer calved yesterday evening had to get vet to and had a tough pull. Calf never got up and would not suck. Had to stomach tube him but the whore died at around 2 in the morning.
    I tagged him this morning for the BVD. Do I register him as still born. When I bring to the knacker do I need any movement papers. Or what is the procedure.
    Thanks

You can use the white card that comes in the box. Tick stillborn box. Knackery Will take the white card from you and do all the necessary paperwork

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Do I still do the online registration on agbfood or just use the white card.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You can do both. Just make sure you have the same date on both

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Tag the calf and bring it to the knackery. You can register it online as stillborn,you will get a paper back in the post which you can drop in to the knackery afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

I never use the white cards anymore, all can be done on agfood.

Thats a pity about the calf, what bull was it off?

• Advertisement

D2D3144D-6EC3-4EE3-8F70-C8F9B29EB650_zpszmnnabz8.jpeg

WZG Deigo AA.
    In hindsight may be a section would have been better.

Lovely looking heifer, would you consider skinning the calf and fostering another one onto her?

Yea thought about it. She has heaps of milk so in 2 minds to buy a calf or not.
    Bought her as a 18 month old oct of last year for 680 bullet her In shed and no trouble at all.
    Pity it went wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Calf had his head up and heifer is standing... normally good signs after a calving. Tough luck indeed.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

tanko wrote: »
    Lovely looking heifer, would you consider skinning the calf and fostering another one onto her?

You'd hardly have to skin the calf to foster one on? She should take it after a few days regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

You'd hardly have to skin the calf to foster one on? She should take it after a few days regardless
    We wouldn't ever skin the calf and we can get the cow to take them usually. Takes a bit of patience and time bjt the key thing is have the calf hungry going in and bawling. Cows don't like to hear the calf bawling but make sure she is restrained thenfirst Couple of days and can't kick. Horrible thing to happen but at least the cows ok!!

You never know with sucklers, i've always found that putting the skin of the dead calf on the new one makes the process a lot easier and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Was their any BB in cow. Diego has myostatin so may be reason for tough pull as double muscle gene

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

If heifer after calving dead calf is never sucked, will she soak back the milk naturally without ever having to be milked out? Or what’s the best protocol here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Just leave her alone.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

As greysides said leave her be, and she will soak up. Drawing her out would cause her to start producing more milk. Keep her somewhere clean

Advertisement