Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why have Russia never had a great Soccer Team

• 17-11-2019 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

With their hammering to Belgium tonight and a population of 144m I find myself asking why Russia have never been great at Soccer ? Any thories why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ice hockey?

The USSR had great teams.

Russia maybe not, but India, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Pakistan..there's plenty of countries with huge populations that have never had great teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They are missing a Pere stroika's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,368 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I watched a DW documentary a while ago about a German playing in Russia and they asked this question. Russia is the 7th best league in Europe co-effecient wise but the national side is around 40th.

The fans they interviewed said that any money that comes into the league goes into the first team to the foreign players and the top Russian ones. Nobody invests in infrastructure or academies to develop Russian talent.

From the outside looking in, the gulf in class between the likes of Zenit, Krasnodar and the Moscow sides also appears to be huge. Bigger than the gap between top and bottom in most leagues from what I've seen.

For example, Krylia Sovetov have been in the top tier almost permanently since the league was founded in the early 90s. They've rarely been good enough to challenge at the top but usually too good to go down. Pats beat them in Europe one year. That's about the standard Russian football is at when you take the oligarchs at the top sides out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Oat23 wrote: »
    I watched a DW documentary a while ago about a German playing in Russia and they asked this question. Russia is the 7th best league in Europe co-effecient wise but the national side is around 40th.

The fans they interviewed said that any money that comes into the league goes into the first team to the foreign players and the top Russian ones. Nobody invests in infrastructure or academies to develop Russian talent.

I think a few of the clubs are based in Moscow and St Petersburg, then fly to their cities for home games. So they don't bother with training facilities etc. Anzhi makhachkala did that. It was the only way they could get people to sign for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The USSR had great teams.

Russia maybe not, but India, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Pakistan..there's plenty of countries with huge populations that have never had great teams.

I heard a reason for that but it's a bit racist so ain't posting it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They've qualified for the Euros handily enough in fairness.

Semis of euros in 2008?

Did well at the last world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just saw something this morning listing all of the qualified teams and how many appearances they’ve had. Only Germany on 13 have qualified more than Russia on 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Who’s their best player currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Who’s their best player currently?

Probably Golovin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Probably Golovin

Yeah, Kolkorin was the star coming into the World Cup I thought but got injured before or during the first game? Dzuba is a fairly handy imposing striker. I saw Zhirov was playing versus Scotland recently. He must be 36. It’s a problem for Russia that they can’t produce one really elite global star.

Edit - Kolkorin is in prison at the moment for serious assault on a government official. Fcuking hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yeah, Kolkorin was the star coming into the World Cup I thought but got injured before or during the first game? Dzuba is a fairly handy imposing striker. I saw Zhirov was playing versus Scotland recently. He must be 36. It’s a problem for Russia that they can’t produce one really elite global star.

Edit - Kolkorin is in prison at the moment for serious assault on a government official. Fcuking hell

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/russia-world-cup-hosts-2018-poor-national-side

I think this sums up Russia and so Russian football. It's basically a play thing for various owners, no genuine commitment from any organising body all of which are probably corrupt anyway. And the weather is really useless for outdoor sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

He was released a couple of weeks ago and was resigned by Zenit. The RPL is streamed every week on YT and I was watching a Zenit game and he was sitting in the stands. Not sure if he has played for them since he was resigned though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

A serious assault on a government official in Russia probably means voting for the other guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Collie D wrote: »
    Just saw something this morning listing all of the qualified teams and how many appearances they’ve had. Only Germany on 13 have qualified more than Russia on 12.

In that 12 appearances for Russia it includes the USSR too, so pretty much Russia & half of eastern europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I think a few of the clubs are based in Moscow and St Petersburg, then fly to their cities for home games. So they don't bother with training facilities etc. Anzhi makhachkala did that. It was the only way they could get people to sign for them.

Anzhi is in Dagestan, you wouldn’t want to live there as a foreigner, even a very wealthy one. Anyway the owner has stopped pumping rubles so they are screwed. They dropped into the equivalent of the Championship not too long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Collie D wrote: »
    A serious assault on a government official in Russia probably means voting for the other guy.

He was on a bit of a run that day though

"Hours before that incident, Mamayev, Kokorin and other young people were involved in an altercation with the driver of a Channel One show presenter; he received brain damage, nose fracture and face contusions after numerous punches"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

They need to invest more in training spys to be footballers, like Arshavin & Pavlyuchenko!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/russia-world-cup-hosts-2018-poor-national-side

I think this sums up Russia and so Russian football. It's basically a play thing for various owners, no genuine commitment from any organising body all of which are probably corrupt anyway. And the weather is really useless for outdoor sport.
    Probably is the weather ! Just ask Napoleon and Hitler . Both not just caught Offside but Outside in Russia :eek::eek:

Advertisement