Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on flat roof (pics attached)

• 13-11-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for some opinions on this flat roof.
    Back story is ex got his friend to build an extension on the house, said friend used to be a builder before the recession. They went with a flat roof with felt. However since it was done the roof has alot of water sitting on it when it rains, I understand there will always be "some" rain left but that the majority of it run off with the "fall" of the roof.

Picture one is the roof this morning, it had been damp over night but no rain, the patch at the back of the picture that is a different colour to the rest worries me. I don't know anything about roofs but to me it looks like that damp is seeping into the felt whereas the rest of the felt seems fine. I had the builder back out a few months ago and he said that part was "over torched" and he agreed to pay half to get someone else to fix it.
    If anyone knows anything about roofs, does this look ok to you? is that normal to have patches like that that will differ in colour but not cause any issues?

Picture two is where there was a constant puddle of water, it wasn't running off at all behind the window so he put down that black stuff to "stop it" it hasn't stopped it. The puddle of water still sits there.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No pictures visible?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MichelleSinead

Oh it won't let me post pictures because I am a new user.
    Apologies I cannot get them to show automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There's no puddle in either photo?

My only concern from looking at that (and I presume I'm wrong, and it's a non-issue, but nonetheless) is that the felt seems to have been rolled the wrong way?

It looks like the roof falls away from the house, but the water will run into the 'joins' on the roof and perhaps sit there? if they were the other way (running vertically, instead of horizontally as per your photos) then the rain would run down them?

Perhaps I'm talking out my ass though.

Unrelated, but as far as I am lead to believe, water is only considered to be 'sitting' or 'pooling' if it stays in place for 48 hours or so. My googling before had lead me to believe that if it evaporates or runs off in less time, you generally don't have to worry about it. Again, i am not a roofer and that's from the internet so I could be talking nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The other view is that they started at the wall and worked out so the overlap is wrong. Perhaps I'm talking out my ass thoughts well.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

The other view is that they started at the wall and worked out so the overlap is wrong. Perhaps I'm talking out my ass thoughts well.

Looking at the joint on the the left roof light the overlap does appear to be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Its lapped the wrong way and over torched in a good few spots too. Is that a hole coming about 18 inches down the left hand side of the window, or just something lying on the roof?

Advertisement