Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Units of alcohol per week...

Comments

So you have a very good job, requires a lot of qualifications, but you have drank four points at lunchtime, gone back to work, and no one batted an eyelid? Come on!

Probably 3 or 4 times in 10 years, like why is that being latched onto. Also why would anyone batt an eye lid. Do you think I’d be rolling around the ground and starting a sing song or something, why would anyone even know I had a few pints (bar the people with me).

Also people appear to think good job = boring, strict and your very watched. It’s the total opposite.

I don’t even drink at lunch (unless I’m staying at it all afternoon) but look at the Uk and the amount of people who go for lunch time pints, particularly in finance etc. people earning more in a month than us in a year.

Some seriously sheltered lives being lived by some in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

People who hadn’t been drinking with definitely know by the smell, it’s very clear someone has taken alcohol when you haven’t yourself. Drinking pints and going back to work would be hugely unprofessional.
    But I doubt anyone is taking these anecdotes seriously by now!

People who hadn’t been drinking with definitely know by the smell, it’s very clear someone has taken alcohol when you haven’t yourself. Drinking pints and going back to work would be hugely unprofessional.
    But I doubt anyone is taking these anecdotes seriously by now!

Don’t take them seriously if you don’t want to be I’m being deadly serious. Also don’t assume things are considered unprofessional just because you think so yourself.

My entire team has often has a beer or two with lunch on different occasions like people leaving, big deadlines achieved etc.

I’ve often been given wine/beer in the canteen of offices I was visiting when abroad for meetings.

Don’t take them seriously if you don’t want to be I’m being deadly serious. Also don’t assume things are considered unprofessional just because you think so yourself.

My entire team has often has a beer or two with lunch on different occasions like people leaving, big deadlines achieved etc.

I’ve often been given wine/beer in the canteen of offices I was visiting when abroad for meetings.

I think drinking four pints at lunchtime, approx three times the legal limit to drive a car, would be widely considered unprofessional tbf!
    Fair play, you’re in a suitable job for yourself if that is tolerated by your employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think drinking four pints at lunchtime, approx three times the legal limit to drive a car, would be widely considered unprofessional tbf!
    Fair play, you’re in a suitable job for yourself if that is tolerated by your employers.

But wouldn't such low quantities of alcohol have little impact on a chronic alcoholic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chandlerbing2

Probably 3 or 4 times in 10 years, like why is that being latched onto. Also why would anyone batt an eye lid. Do you think I’d be rolling around the ground and starting a sing song or something, why would anyone even know I had a few pints (bar the people with me).

Also people appear to think good job = boring, strict and your very watched. It’s the total opposite.

I don’t even drink at lunch (unless I’m staying at it all afternoon) but look at the Uk and the amount of people who go for lunch time pints, particularly in finance etc. people earning more in a month than us in a year.

I have to agree with what NOX is saying. I work in IT and have done so with a few different companies and the general consensus is its okay to come in hungover once your not constantly doing it. Once or twice a week probably be fine and that your not reeking of booze and wearing the same clothes the night before with beer smelling coming from them.

Also good IT firms tend to have a lot of night out, usually one every month to two months and people go home pissed at 2 or three in the morning, show up for work the next day and are generally just laughed at or have a bit of craic with them saying do you remember what you did last night.

These are type of companies that let you work from home a couple of days a week and don't mind if you take annual leave last minute as long as projects or not due and not have planned work scheduled the next day.

Now in I.T i did work in two serious offices and never again. I've left two companies because the offices were too serious and managers were high horse pricks and were not approachable and would hang you buy your testicles if they thought you were hungover. I don't know how anyone works in offices like these.

With regards NOX's drinking habits I don't see it as been that bad. I know lads in their 60's that have been drinkiing every Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the pubs for the last 30 years and not a bother on them. These lads are 15 pints a day drinkers but never touch it Mon-Thur.
    I've known people who have died in their fifties and sixties from cancer who would only have a few at Christmas.

My personal drinking habits probably throughout my 20's was 10 pints on a Friday, 15 on a Saturday and 6 on a Sunday so I'd be okay for work on the Monday.

I'm in my 30's now and generally only go drinking now when I'm home from the states which is two weeks every six months. But by God do i go at it. I driink the absolute bejaysus out of it for the two weeks.

I'm in my 30's now and generally only go drinking now when I'm home from the states which is two weeks every six months. But by God do i go at it. I driink the absolute bejaysus out of it for the two weeks.

Why don't you drink as much in the states? We've learnt on this thread that every country except Saudi Arabia has the same drinking culture as us. Do you not feel your life is missing something without it, why deprive yourself?

tuxy wrote: »
    Why don't you drink as much in the states? We've learnt on this thread that every country except Saudi Arabia has the same drinking culture as us. Do you not feel your life is missing something without it, why deprive yourself?

I don't drink the in the States but I do miss drinking and having the craic with friends and seeing everyone when i'm home.

Now i'd usually give it a skip Mon-Wed(Maybe two or three Monday for the cure) as no one around but the Thursday to Sunday would get an awful battering when I'm home.

I just enjoy drinking always have and always will. If i do eventually decide to come home I probably have to get a place well away from the home town as I know I'd end up in the pub constantly.

I'm not doing anyone harm except myself so don't see it as an issue. If i had a family or kids coming back with me I'd cut it back to the Friday and Saturday night and just get merry, not drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Naggdefy wrote: »
    One thing I'll say about Nox, he never insults anyone, is very measured, and does come across as a sound, likeable lad.

I'd say easy going would be an understatement. I can see him not cleaning up a yard saying ah feck that, it's time for pints, twill do till tomorrow!

Eh, not totally true.

I don't drink the in the States but I do miss drinking and having the craic with friends and seeing everyone when i'm home.

Have you made any friends in the states or are you just after arriving? Do you plan on drinking frequently when you get to know people?

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Have you made any friends in the states or are you just after arriving? Do you plan on drinking frequently when you get to know people?

Here roughly 15 months. Have friends here but not the biggest night club guy. Prefer quiet country pubs.

Here roughly 15 months. Have friends here but not the biggest night club guy. Prefer quiet country pubs.

American pubs are not the same that's for sure but it's not difficult to find a quiet bar even in the larger cities.

I have to agree with what NOX is saying. I work in IT and have done so with a few different companies and the general consensus is its okay to come in hungover once your not constantly doing it. Once or twice a week probably be fine and that your not reeking of booze and wearing the same clothes the night before with beer smelling coming from them.

Also good IT firms tend to have a lot of night out, usually one every month to two months and people go home pissed at 2 or three in the morning, show up for work the next day and are generally just laughed at or have a bit of craic with them saying do you remember what you did last night.

These are type of companies that let you work from home a couple of days a week and don't mind if you take annual leave last minute as long as projects or not due and not have planned work scheduled the next day.

Now in I.T i did work in two serious offices and never again. I've left two companies because the offices were too serious and managers were high horse pricks and were not approachable and would hang you buy your testicles if they thought you were hungover. I don't know how anyone works in offices like these.

With regards NOX's drinking habits I don't see it as been that bad. I know lads in their 60's that have been drinkiing every Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the pubs for the last 30 years and not a bother on them. These lads are 15 pints a day drinkers but never touch it Mon-Thur.
    I've known people who have died in their fifties and sixties from cancer who would only have a few at Christmas.

My personal drinking habits probably throughout my 20's was 10 pints on a Friday, 15 on a Saturday and 6 on a Sunday so I'd be okay for work on the Monday.

Everyone knows the boozehound who lived until he was 90 and the health freak who dropped dead at 50. Anecdotes are nice and all, but looking at things on a population level is the only useful way of assessing risk. And I’d be amazed if the heavy drinkers were generally as long-lived as those who don’t drink a lot.

Sure who do you think I’d be having the lunch time pint with? It would be others from work. That was a rare occurrence anyway if the previous nights hangover needed a cure so the smell of drink in the morning would be a lot worse than coming back after lunch. That was a weekly or twice weekly thing for years going into work after a heavy night out and it would be with multiple coworkers so there would be a load of us in the same boat.

I think we’ve jumped the shark. I’ve never been in any job where several colleagues or even one colleague heads off at lunch to “cure” a hangover. I mean, the cure is obvious nonsense anyway but to bring it into the workplace is seriously dysfunctional behaviour.
    Naggdefy wrote: »
    The older he gets the harder the massive sessions hit too.

I laugh at lads saying how productive they are the morning after 12 pints. They just think they are. If you looked at what they'd do sober as opposed to hungover there would be a serious difference in productivity.

Stats don't lie either, how many domestic, work, out on the town accidents happen because of excess drinking, proved by post mortems etc..

Ever have to go into A&E with a serious illness, injury on a Saturday night and be stuck for 6-7 hours behind drunken gob****es.. It's great craic alright.

If it’s very serious, you won’t be stuck behind drunks. Triage ensures that. I’ve been rushed past manys the drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yeah I think I'm wrongly assuming it's giving out. I do think though that if people want advice to be taken seriously they need to be realistic about what people would be willing to listen too.

Lol. No it isn’t. It’s their job to figure out an amount of booze, beyond which harm is likely caused to the body. And it’s their job to relay that info so people can make informed choices about how much they drink. Couldn’t be simpler.

Not liking the advice because it means you know you’re likely doing harm every time you get p1ssed, is one thing. Not wanting to know is another thing entirely.

Every thread with Nox goes through the same routine. Nox always thinks Nox is right, everybody who doesn’t agree with him is full of nonsense, and then he digs his heels in further.

Now that driving the morning after has been brought up, Nox will start saying how the limits are stupid, he’s fine to drive the morning after, how he knows people who have been “bagged” the morning after a monster session and have passed, etc.

You need to try harder Nox, you’re getting predictable :D

Not sure if they’ve already said that they don’t think a drinking session causes harm to the body. They know people who drink a lot more and are fit as a fiddle.m - maybe even much healthier than other people they know who don’t regularly drink a skip of pints and a rake of shots. The doctors are just making mountains out of molehills etc.

If all this hasn’t been said, it will be trotted out soon. Always entertaining at least.

It's better than sounding like some parent telling their son to not have sex until marriage. If a doctor says to me don't drink more than 3 pints I would tell him to fook off and sensible Irish people would understand as I've no health issues. Now a limit of say 6 drinks at least I know I could still have a great night with 6 drinks so that is a possibility. If people are going to tell people about the importance of not overdoing it then it needs to come from a place that can be understood. It's like someone who's never drank given advice on alcohol rather than someone who use to be an alcoholic

But this is it. It’s a very childish attitude. The doctor isn’t telling you what to do. Why’re telling you what you need to know to make an informed decision. Now you know they beyond 3ish pints is causing harm to your body, you can still make an informed decision to drink as much as you want. You can stop at 3 or 6 or 10 or closing time or whenever you can’t drink any more.

This is the second time in a couple of pages you’ve mistaken information for giving out/telling you what to do. Nobody is policing your drinking, giving out or telling you what to do, because you’re an adult. The information is there so you can make an informed decision.

If he can't back up his advice to me with facts he's a crap doctor. People who give advice on alcohol have to make sure their attacking overdoing it and not attacking drinking in moderation otherwise they will be ignored

The evidence is based on research. What on earth makes you think you’d understand the research? Medical research reasonably assumes a medically trained readership. It’s the up to thise people to communicate that info to the public.

The more I read your posts the more I see you don’t want to be informed. Ignorance is bliss and all that. It’s. A childish attitude, but not terribly uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I suppose I'd have 1.5 bottles of red wine across the week and 3-5 other drinks (beer mainly) if I'm not in the mood for wine. Mainly consumed on weekend with meals or after meals. I don't go out much anymore as I have a young child, but was consuming probably close to double that a week on average before she came along.

Hangovers get worse as you get older, the dread, fear and headaches aren't worth a big session unless it's a special occasion.

Any you’re privy to these lads medical history? They must be really close friends.

Or are they lads you see and have no idea about their actual health? Most people keep their ailments to themselves. Not often you hear people say they have fatty liver. But I’d be shocked if these 60 year old, 45 pints a week men, don’t have fatty liver, high cholesterol or are overweight.

It’s just the kind of thing people tend to crush over when they want to make a point. Ignore the obvious signs and pretend that because hey don’t know their medical history so they have no ailments.

Someone who would make a statement about someone’s health when they don’t have a clue, is indicative of someone whose willing to spoof to make those point.

• Advertisement

Would be surprised if anyone drinking 45 pints a week has no medical issues resulting from it. Surely you’d be in a constant state of depression if nothing else? Quality of life would be shot.

I think people should respect alcohol a bit more. A few drinks are great fun, but it’s a strong drug.
    The fact that just six-seven pints a week is enough to do you harm needs to be borne in mind rather than shrugged off because it’s inconvenient.

4 pints is not 3 times over the legal limit or even close to it. As I said it was a fare occuramce maybe you don’t understand that bit, if it was everyday I’m sure it would be frowned upon but every now and again wouldn’t even be noticed. I’d hate to work in some of your work places they sound painful.
    I think we’ve jumped the shark. I’ve never been in any job where several colleagues or even one colleague heads off at lunch to “cure” a hangover. I mean, the cure is obvious nonsense anyway but to bring it into the workplace is seriously dysfunctional behaviour.

You have jumped no shark, unlike some people I am very much a person who ends up making friends at work I don’t buy into this keeping all colleagues at at arms length type thing that some people do.

So in reality while I called them colleagues they were really a group of my friends from work who we would regularly meet up on weekends, call to each other’s houses, even go away on holidays as a group (group of friends we were not all in the same team).

I have made life long friends in a number of jobs.
    I think people should respect alcohol a bit more. A few drinks are great fun, but it’s a strong drug.
    The fact that just six-seven pints a week is enough to do you harm needs to be borne in mind rather than shrugged off because it’s inconvenient.

Is claimed to do harm, many would disagree with such claims. I’d go so far as to say it’s nonsense, there is a bit of a nanny state “we have to say it’s bad” thing going on with drink and pushing silly low limits is parts of this. I would say the majorly of people exceed these limits.

It’s like when a report comes out that meat is bad, there is a bit of talk then it turns out it increases the risk something by .001% and people forget about it. It’s the same with these small amounts of drink doing harm, it might increase the risk of something by a tiny meaningless amount but who care it’s lost in the noise of things that can go wrong or do you harm. Id rather enjoy myself (within reason) than get too worried about all these things that “are bad for you”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,211 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sheltered lives, Nox your version of the world ended decades ago, there arent loads of traders in london in pubs every lunch time any more, no proper employer tolerates it.

and your head in the sand approach to medical advice for a scientist is baffling.

anyway i am not sure how seriously to take any of your claims including those of this high power job you say you have yet you arrive into work between 9.30 and 10, hung over when you feel like it and can go for 4 pints at lunch with no consequences or impact on your work,

reads like it smells

horse manure.

Every thread with Nox goes through the same routine. Nox always thinks Nox is right, everybody who doesn’t agree with him is full of nonsense, and then he digs his heels in further.

You need to try harder Nox, you’re getting predictable :D

Not sure if they’ve already said that they don’t think a drinking session causes harm to the body. They know people who drink a lot more and are fit as a fiddle.m - maybe even much healthier than other people they know who don’t regularly drink a skip of pints and a rake of shots. The doctors are just making mountains out of molehills etc.

If all this hasn’t been said, it will be trotted out soon. Always entertaining at least.
    Is claimed to do harm, many would disagree with such claims. I’d go so far as to say it’s nonsense, there is a bit of a nanny state “we have to say it’s bad” thing going on with drink and pushing silly low limits is parts of this. I would say the majorly of people exceed these limits.

Glad to see you didn’t let me down, nox. If you don’t like a fact, just assume you know better. Classic but as DelBoy pointed out, it’s predictable

You've got to be a bit delusional to think you can have four pints with your lunch, go back to work and it won't be noticed. Or just be making it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

You've got to be a bit delusional to think you can have four pints with your lunch, go back to work and it won't be noticed. Or just be making it up!

Unless you work in a supermarket collecting trolleys or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Lol. No it isn’t. It’s their job to figure out an amount of booze, beyond which harm is likely caused to the body. And it’s their job to relay that info so people can make informed choices about how much they drink. Couldn’t be simpler.

Ah snap out of it. You cant expect people to eat rabbit food and drink water every day, people need to be allowed to have some enjoyment. People need to be able to socialise and the pub is where most people socialise. Giving hard to follow advise is not going to work, its asking to be ignored.
    But this is it. It’s a very childish attitude. The doctor isn’t telling you what to do.

It's not childish, its called having common sense and appreciating that a life without fun is not a life worth living. Harm after 3 pints is not harm worth worrying about, the enjoying 3 pints with friends vastly outweighs a tiny bit of harm. A doctor should be reasonable when he gives advice, no intelligent person worry's about a tiny bit of harm
    The evidence is based on research. What on earth makes you think you’d understand the research? Medical research reasonably assumes a medically trained readership. It’s the up to thise people to communicate that info to the public.

The more I read your posts the more I see you don’t want to be informed. Ignorance is bliss and all that. It’s. A childish attitude, but not terribly uncommon.

Where did I say I understood the research? Doctors arent gods, if he cant explain his advise I'm not going to listen to him. Yes they have to communicate it to people who don't have medical training, I'm saying they are not communicating it very well. The more I read your posts the more I think you just want to insult people. Again its not childish, intelligent people use common sense to determine if advise is worth listening to or not. Our bodies are well capable of dealing with a tiny bit of harm every now and then.

Ah snap out of it. You cant expect people to eat rabbit food and drink water every day, people need to be allowed to have some enjoyment. People need to be able to socialise and the pub is where most people socialise. Giving hard to follow advise is not going to work, its asking to be ignored.

It's not childish, its called having common sense and appreciating that a life without fun is not a life worth living. Harm after 3 pints is not harm worth worrying about, the enjoying 3 pints with friends vastly outweighs a tiny bit of harm. A doctor should be reasonable when he gives advice, no intelligent person worry's about a tiny bit of harm

Where did I say I understood the research? Doctors arent gods, if he cant explain his advise I'm not going to listen to him. Yes they have to communicate it to people who don't have medical training, I'm saying they are not communicating it very well. The more I read your posts the more I think you just want to insult people. Again its not childish, intelligent people use common sense to determine if advise is worth listening to or not. Our bodies are well capable of dealing with a tiny bit of harm every now and then.

But it's fine to ignore the research, or to come to the conclusion that the harm is still worth the alcohol.

The point being made a few times is people not liking the findings doesn't change the fact that alcohol is harmful. Adults still have every right to drink more than is good for them if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

But it's fine to ignore the research, or to come to the conclusion that the harm is still worth the alcohol.

The point being made a few times is people not liking the findings doesn't change the fact that alcohol is harmful. Adults still have every right to drink more than is good for them if they want.

well i made this point very early on but it got no traction. If the research is so good why do the the recommended units vary so much around the world?

• Advertisement

You’re still looking at as an authority figure telling you what to do. You’re an adult. You can decide how to behave and having the information means you know more about the impacts of your behaviour.

It’s not a game of cat and mouse. You’re an adult and you’re being trusted with information. If you want to pretend the information doesn’t exist or is incorrect, then that’s fine because you’re in charge of your own behaviour. But it’s there job to give you the information, not to tell you whatever you want to hear.

They should only advise on what will cause significant harm and then there message would be worth listening to.

They should only advise on what will cause significant harm and then there message would be worth listening to.

Sure ignore it if you think it's not worth taking in, loads of people do exactly that. Same as many people smoke, eat unhealthily, take cocaine, don't sleep enough.

well i made this point very early on but it got no traction. If the research is so good why do the the recommended units vary so much around the world?

It will depend on definitions of harm, I suppose.

4 pints is not 3 times over the legal limit or even close to it. As I said it was a fare occuramce maybe you don’t understand that bit, if it was everyday I’m sure it would be frowned upon but every now and again wouldn’t even be noticed. I’d hate to work in some of your work places they sound painful.

Yeah, its very painful having to be in a workplace where you are not allowed to have four pints in the afternoon. Tyrannical;)

What would you consider a significant risk of harm? 2% increase of colon cancer? 5% increased risk of heart attack or stroke? 10% increased risk? What exactly would define as increased risk and what makes you a better judge than the medical professional ?

• Advertisement

It will depend on definitions of harm, I suppose.

well then they should define what they mean by harm. It is not too much to ask of people who say they are scientists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You’re still looking at as an authority figure telling you what to do. You’re an adult. You can decide how to behave and having the information means you know more about the impacts of your behaviour.

It’s not a game of cat and mouse. You’re an adult and you’re being trusted with information. If you want to pretend the information doesn’t exist or is incorrect, then that’s fine because you’re in charge of your own behaviour. But it’s there job to give you the information, not to tell you whatever you want to hear.

Spot on. I like to drink. I regularly drink more than the recommended guidelines, but I still appreciate the fact they exist. If the guidelines weren't there, I'd probably drink more than I do currently.

Drinking any amount is harmful. It's all about balancing that harm with the enjoyment you get from drinking. Guidelines aren't there to judge, they're there to help you make an informed decision.

Cyrus wrote: »
    sheltered lives, Nox your version of the world ended decades ago, there arent loads of traders in london in pubs every lunch time any more, no proper employer tolerates it.

You haven’t clue and obviously haven’t been in any of the financial areas at lunch recently. Lunch time pints are still extremely common. Anyway as I said why are people getting so caught up in this, are you saying you would have difficulty going into work after 4 pints once in the year as that’s the level we are taking about.

Some drink at lunch would be a bit more common but this would be work organized things like a leaving lunch for someone so everyone could if they wised have a beer or glass of wine.

anyway i am not sure how seriously to take any of your claims including those of this high power job you say you have yet you arrive into work between 9.30 and 10, hung over when you feel like it and can go for 4 pints at lunch with no consequences or impact on your work,

reads like it smells

horse manure.

I never said I had a high powered job, haven’t heard that term in years. I said I had a good job. I work in tech and you know full well it’s a very flexible environment where people tend to work the hours that suit them, often work from home etc once they get the work done. I don’t have someone looking over my shoulder or watching what hours I work, or following me around wondering what I did at lunch.

Again you are back to the 4 pints at lunch, something that’s happened very very rarely. Could you seriously tell me you couldn’t do one afternoon on a very rare occasion with a few pints, you obviously won’t do it if you have something important or whatever happening but if you have a fairly quiet afternoon ahead sitting in your office working on your own stuff or maybe on calls etc. I can’t even fathom how that would be an issue.

well then they should define what they mean by harm. It is not too much to ask of people who say they are scientists.

Yeah the so called ‘scientists’ should show all their workings. That would fit really nicely only a poster.

Look, you’re a grown up. You can choose how you behave. Dismissing information you don’t like is childish, but it’s your prerogative as an adult.

Nobody is counting your units and you can lie to anyone who asks how many units you drink. You can do whatever you want with the information. The important thing is you now have the info.

Yeah the so called ‘scientists’ should show all their workings. That would fit really nicely only a poster.

Look, you’re a grown up. You can choose how you behave. Dismissing information you don’t like is childish, but it’s your prerogative as an adult.

Nobody is counting your units and you can lie to anyone who asks how many units you drink. You can do whatever you want with the information. The important thing is you now have the info.

but how good is that info? what does that info actually mean? I haven't dismissed any information. i have questioned its veracity. Which to me is a pretty reasonable thing to do given that the information seems to vary from country to country.

• Advertisement

Spot on. I like to drink. I regularly drink more than the recommended guidelines, but I still appreciate the fact they exist. If the guidelines weren't there, I'd probably drink more than I do currently.

Drinking any amount is harmful. It's all about balancing that harm with the enjoyment you get from drinking. Guidelines aren't there to judge, they're there to help you make an informed decision.

I’d say most people go well over the recommended amount. I certainly do most times I meet up with the lads or go for after work pints on a Friday. I’ve friends coming around on Saturday for Halloween drinks in my house and off to a bonfire. I imagine I’ll go above the 8unit limit. But I’ll at least acknowledge what I’m doing and make informed decisions.

The idea of getting annoyed and dismissing facts that don’t suit me, is silly.

You haven’t clue and obviously haven’t been in any of the financial areas at lunch recently. Lunch time pints are still extremely common. Anyway as I said why are people getting so caught up in this, are you saying you would have difficulty going into work after 4 pints once in the year as that’s the level we are taking about.

Some drink at lunch would be a bit more common but this would be work organized things like a leaving lunch for someone so everyone could if they wised have a beer or glass of wine.

I never said I had a high powered job, haven’t heard that term in years. I said I had a good job. I work in tech and you know full well it’s a very flexible environment where people tend to work the hours that suit them, often work from home etc once they get the work done. I don’t have someone looking over my shoulder or watching what hours I work, or following me around wondering what I did at lunch.

Again you are back to the 4 pints at lunch, something that’s happened very very rarely. Could you seriously tell me you couldn’t do one afternoon on a very rare occasion with a few pints, you obviously won’t do it if you have something important or whatever happening but if you have a fairly quiet afternoon ahead sitting in your office working on your own stuff or maybe on calls etc. I can’t even fathom how that would be an issue.

im in London every second or 3rd week, you must be on a film set, its not common place at all any more. A bottle of beer or glass of wine with lunch at a leaving party is not 4 pints for a cure, totally different thing.

you may have flexibility but rest assured your output is being monitored, if you are output is whats required no one cares, once it isnt the flexibility disappears.

i wouldnt ever consider having 4 pints and going back to work no, its not the done thing in any professional environment and a bad example to set to my staff.

but how good is that info? what does that info actually mean? I haven't dismissed any information. i have questioned its veracity. Which to me is a pretty reasonable thing to do given that the information seems to vary from country to country.

If you want to find out, ask the right people, people who actually know. If you only want to ask as a prelude to dismissing the info, then skip the foreplay and get down to it - pretend you didn’t hear it.

you may have flexibility but rest assured your output is being monitored, if you are output is whats required no one cares, once it isnt the flexibility disappears.

My second pay rise this year has come up in a meeting this week so I think output isn’t of concern.
    i wouldnt ever consider having 4 pints and going back to work no, its not the done thing in any professional environment and a bad example to set to my staff.

Not everyone like to have such a formal and uptight attitude as yourself. It’s not how I do things. I enjoy my work place and treat the people I work with as friends for the most part.

If you want to find out, ask the right people, people who actually know. If you only want to ask as a prelude to dismissing the info, then skip the foreplay and get down to it - pretend you didn’t hear it.

you really do have a ****ty attitude about this subject.

My second pay rise this year has come up in a meeting this week so I think output isn’t of concern.

Not everyone like to have such a formal and uptight attitude as yourself. It’s not how I do things. I enjoy my work place and treat the people I work with as friends for the most part.

output isnt a concern at the moment. and it all depends on what you are getting paid in the first place as to whats expected from you.

i dont have a formal and uptight attitude and i really enjoy my work, i am very friendly with my colleagues aswell and most of my closest friends are people i worked with down the years. the difference is i dont have to be drunk to be friends with people which is what you seem to equate as friendship.

you really do have a ****ty attitude about this subject.

Completely disagree. I’m just being honest. If you’re interested in finding out, you’ll try to find out from sources who can answer the questions. If you’re only asking so you can dismiss the information, then you’ll do no more than exactly what you’re doing right now.

What do you plan to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

The relative risk increases from excessive drinking are not not large for cancer, heart disease and mortality etc. but are proportional to units taken.

The biggest RR for excessive drinking i saw in one paper was 1.3 based on 3 drinks a day

So for example a 20 yr old woman might have an absolute risk of 0.06% of developing breast cancer in 10 years. With excessive drinking that becomes 0.078%.

Not much of a big deal for the individual but if you have a large population with 1-2 million people drinking excessively its gonna lead to a lot of extra illnesses to deal with.

What would you consider a significant risk of harm? 2% increase of colon cancer? 5% increased risk of heart attack or stroke? 10% increased risk? What exactly would define as increased risk and what makes you a better judge than the medical professional ?

Anything that would mean genuine risk to my health, 3 pints a week is certainly not a genuine risk. It's important that there are guidelines but if guidelines are out of touch with reality the people writing the guidelines are wasting there time and i'd rather they didnt waste there time.

Anything that would mean genuine risk to my health, 3 pints a week is certainly not a genuine risk. It's important that there are guidelines but if guidelines are out of touch with reality the people writing the guidelines are wasting there time and i'd rather they didnt waste there time.

did anyone say 3 pints a week was a genuine risk?

• Advertisement
Advertisement