Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy/pram/travel system tips

Options
  • 24-10-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello from the pregnancy forum!

I'm due my first kid in the new year and am currently baffled by the various buggy/pram/travel system options out there, and don't really know where to start. So I thought you seasoned professionals might be able to provide some tips!

Any particular recommendations? Anything you wish you had/hadn't bothered with? Things to look out for?

I'm happy to buy secondhand if stuff is good quality, but understand that isn't recommended for car seats.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

(I did a search an didn't see anything recent but apologies if this has been covered before).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,797 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

We've just the one (baby and travel system!) so I can't give many comparisons but a few points from our experience...

We got the cybex priam (base and 2in1 pram/buggy) as well as their Cloud Q Plus car seat and they were absolutely brilliant. They were pricey enough, but we got them half price in Mothercare, we were lucky with timing

The car seat would fold flat and mount onto the buggy base, a combination that worked so well. If baba fell asleep in the car we'd just lift the seat out, onto the buggy base, fold the seat back and away we'd go. For that to work I think you need it to fold flat, as they're not meant to be sat up for too long, and not many car seats did.

If you think you'll be lifting the car seat in and out a lot then an isofix base is a life saver. Click click done, no messing with seatbelts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You need to start by thinking about how you plan to use the buggy/travel system.

Do you like to walk? Where do you walk?
    Do you need to be lugging the buggy in and out of the car?
    Will you find a pram attachment useful?
    Will baby need to be brought around while you run daily errands?
    Is there space in your home to have the buggy sitting in the hall or will you always need to fold it?

I think a lot of people who hate their travel systems simply got the wrong one for their lifestyle. When you're looking at options, keep these things in mind and you're more likely to make the right decision

As with sleeping spaces, some people keep it completely simple and just buy a sling. Never bother with a buggy at all.

Travel System features/variations include things like:

Wheels - Big wheels with inflatable tyres/Three wheels are usually good for country roads and trail type walking. They're often light and easy to push. The wheels are big when folded up too, sometimes you have to take one off to fold it fully. Solid wheels don't need maintenance. With four wheels the buggy folds up smaller and they're grand on decent sidewalks.

Seat Options - newborns need a fully lie flat option, some seats only go almost flat. Some seats can be turned around so baby faces you, then faces away when older, some seats can be switched out for Prams or car seats. Bear in mind that for most of the time baby is small enough to carry around in a car seat they're only mean to spend very short periods of time in car seats. If you think you'll be using the buggy alot at an early age then all those options will be useful, otherwise they're just things that often make the buggy bulkier and add cost. You won't need any of those options after about 6 months. Some pram bassinets are bigger than others which is worth considering if you think you’ll have a big baby/will be out and about a lot in the first six months.

Folding - some buggies need two hands to fold, some need one to fold, some need the wheels taken off or the seat taken off to fold, make sure it fits in your boot. How important this is to you depends on how often you think you'll be folding it and whether you think you'll be mostly alone or together folding it.

Basket - If you're going to use the buggy to run errands, you're going to use this alot, you need something that's not tiny and is easily accessible. Most of them have the same weight restrictions though, so don't get too hung up on having the biggest one going, they can only take so much.

For us, We went for a buggy called the armadillo flip xt. I picked it because it had one handed fold which I was absolutely set on, and I knew we'd be walking alot on footpaths and things so the four medium wheels were good. It's light and folded up small and didn't need the seat taken off even when the seat was parent facing. The seat also folds flat for naps and can be changed out for a pram or car seat. I'm happy with it still 3 years later, but it might make someone with different needs miserable.

Both Mamas and Papas and mothercare do new parent evenings where they offer huge discounts for spending chunks of money. Use those to get 10-20% off.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Depends on where you're going to use it. We use ours walking into town, buying a few bits etc, so we ruled out a few buggies because their basket would be too small.

Where are you going to store the buggy when not in used? Does it collapse down to a manageable size?

Can your car seat clip into the buggy chassis? (typically with "car seat adaptors")

I remember lots talking about "how easy is it to put the brake on if you're wearing flipflops?", though that was never a concern for us. I guess some buggies have tricky to use brakes?

I've heard things around "avoiding velcro" because if you've a sleeping baby and you need to tear open some velcro, you'll likely wake them. Ours uses magnetic strips rather than velcro/buttons

In the end, we went for the uppababy vista. Can't really fault it, other than it's probably one of the widest buggies out there. It can work as a double buggy too if/when the time requires it. TBH, I think we focused too much on that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I would say to think about if or when you might have a second child. If you plan on having two kids who will need a buggy at once, then get one that can convert to a double down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Love our Bugaboo donkey. Yes it is big and expensive but we have had it years and I would never change it now. I also like the Bugaboo bee for a lighter alternative and would definitely try to get one second hand if at all possible.

We went for a cheap option with our first and I regret it. A complete waste of money. Should have thought longer term than whatever was on offer at the time. The cheap one we got wasn't worth it in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We have a bugaboo with iso fix base...it's great but to be honest once we bought a travel buggy (for about 40 quid) for s host we just find ourselves using that the majority of the time.

I would 100% recommend getting a car seat that swivels, it's a life-saver on your back as they get older.

Would also recommend a baby Bjorn or equivalent much easier with a tiny baby and gives you both hands free

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Phoenixparker and jlm make excellent points.
    We are Uppababy Vista users here....love the wheels, love the massive basket, wanted one that would convert easily to a double, so it ticked off our main requirements.I am aware it's a wide single buggy though, and some people can find it heavy.So it all depends on what you do fairly regularly....Vista wouldn't be great for a regular bus/train user, or someone coming down apartment steps, or someone with a very small car boot.That kind of thing.

There's no right answer I'm afraid, it depends on your habits!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

I had a Bugaboo Cameleon & found it great. We use an Out'n'about now that he is a bit bigger.

One thing I noticed about the different buggies is that the Bugaboo (and out'n'about) are really handy to push & manoeuvre with one hand. This was important when shopping in supermarket & holding/pulling a basket. I could swivel the buggy in and out with no problems with one hand whereas I used my Mam's Quinny one day & it was so heavy & awkward to push with one hand.

I got the Maxi Cosi car seat & adapters for the Bugaboo so you could just take car seat out with baby in it & slip it on to the frame of the Bugaboo & off you go. So quick and easy.

I went to a baby shop and tried out all the buggies, practised folding them down and attaching car seats etc. The two that were on my short list were the Bugaboo & Uppa Baby Vista. Once I knew what I wanted, I scoured Donedeal & said whichever one comes up first for reasonable money I will buy.

The Uppa Baby Vista can be adapted for use with two children if you plan on having another child. So that is definitely something to consider too.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ca_va

Thanks so much folks, the advice here has been really helpful. Any other tips, please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

We're due to take delivery of our uppa baby vista on Tuesday. Arriving with plenty of time to spare before the arrival of our little one but we'll probably set it up anyway and take a look do will let you know my thoughts on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We had a maxi cosi system for our first and it wasn’t good. The pros were that the car seat clipped on with no adaptors and the chassis folded small (we needed this for my car as many didn’t fit). The pram section was bulky but again fine and we got good use out of it. However it was a disaster as a buggy. Heavy, difficult to manoeuvre and big folded and taking off the seat was tough going.

We replaced it with the Joie mirrus at about 8 months and never looked back. Single hand fold, incredibly light though won’t compete with the out n about for lightness pushing for example as it’s got solid wheels. My childminder loved it and on number two now it is in one car all the time.

When my first was about 2 I bought the out n about for walk/jogging. I absolutely adore this. Still have it today. Easily folded. Bulky enough but wheels do come off easily when necessary. It is a dream to run or walk with even now and he’s 4.5!

So when pregnant with my second I knew I wanted to use the out n about from birth. I got a second hand pram section on adverts as I knew they only need it for about six months and replaced the mattress for it from eBay. Picked up the maxi cosi car seat adaptors and I was good to go. I only ever transferred to buggy for the run of the shop so never hit long periods in the car seat. He is now 1 and the out n about is in the main car. Pram section moved on and he’s waaaaaay too heavy for the car seat to be lifted in and out now lol

We were abroad with the boys for the summer. It was the out n about that came with us. Picked up a free buggy board from free cycle and even loaded with both boys and handbags from the handles it was still grand to push

It was a recommended buggy here and I have zero regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Tigger1

An I ask all the out n about users if they have younger or older children? My little girl is just over two but has always faced me in her silver cross( big old-fashioned buggy) she really dislikes front facing and always puts her hand up for me to hold which is hard to do when pushing her as the buggy is heavy. I want to get a lighter walking buggy but nervous if it only forward faces

My first we got it when he was 2, no issues. This time around we've forward faced the whole time apart from the few months with carry cots. Both boys totally fine. They know it doesn't reverse and i just walk to the side if I need to stick my head over to him

I have a double nipper, never got the carrycot because the carrycot looked small, and I didn’t think it would last Us long. Ive used it for a newborn and a toddler (twice), no probs. You need a head support for a newborn though

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

I'd agree with the recommendation for the out n about. It's very lightweight to push & easy to manoeuvre. The wheels are great for roads, bumpy surfaces etc. It's quite long though & can be awkward in smaller shops. We bought ours second hand, great value.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We do have a secondhand out and about double, it's a lovely buggy.I just preferred the basket in the Uppababy, and I didn't always need the double.
    Used the double from when no.2 was about 5 months, and never had a problem with forward facing.They get to an age where they prefer it.
    Edit to say mine figured out quickly how to pull the Uppababy hood down...my second in particular pulls it over herself if she doesn't want to face the world!!!!It is a big hood with a built-in sunshade, so she is well hidden!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Uriel. wrote: »
    We're due to take delivery of our uppa baby vista on Tuesday. Arriving with plenty of time to spare before the arrival of our little one but we'll probably set it up anyway and take a look do will let you know my thoughts on it

Can't recommend this highly enough myself. As a first time dad the simplicity and sturdiness are massive positives. The only negative I find are the brake tends to stick a bit and the wider back wheels mean some narrow spaces in shops are unpassable.

shesty wrote: »
    We do have a secondhand out and about double, it's a lovely buggy.I just preferred the basket in the Uppababy, and I didn't always need the double.
    Used the double from when no.2 was about 5 months, and never had a problem with forward facing.They get to an age where they prefer it.
    Edit to say mine figured out quickly how to pull the Uppababy hood down...my second in particular pulls it over herself if she doesn't want to face the world!!!!It is a big hood with a built-in sunshade, so she is well hidden!

I bought the separate basket for the out n about when my second was due. Totally worth it

I bought the separate basket for the out n about when my second was due. Totally worth it

That’s gas. I thought I needed the basket and bought it for the nipper, and it’s been used once. I found it really awkward to access it.

jlm29 wrote: »
    That’s gas. I thought I needed the basket and bought it for the nipper, and it’s been used once. I found it really awkward to access it.

Just goes to show we are all different lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

If anyone is thinking of buying the out n about, I've ordered it from UK (As couldn't get red in Ireland before my due date) and am using parcel motel to deliver. It is working out cheaper than if I ordered it here in a colour I didn't want.

Advertisement