Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Some more fitness and happiness and putting the manager's arm around players and we'll be grand :)

Might win the champions league if you do .. in 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was referring to Ole, not Klopp!

Klopp has the benefit of a club structure which is working well and scouting and signing the right players. United don't have that*. Klopp was offered the United job and turned it down and I can't blame him.

* Although we made 3 good signings last summer, at least 2 were targets last year and not signed. Both defenders. We've also let attacking players go without replacing them. Doubt we'll make a significant attacking signing in January but we must make at least 2 of them next summer.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liverpool were lucky to get a draw. No 2 ways about it

Haha very fair, but where is this United team going? It's hard to see a way forward

Under the Glazers it's very hard to see a way forward beyond 3rd/4th place at best. They simply aren't interested in allowing the club to spend enough of its own money to compete for titles. CL qualification is the financial sweet spot for them - maximum ratio of financial return vs. expenditure. I nearly called it "investment" but it's not their money, it's the club's own revenue.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

bangkok wrote: »

Only one team scored a goal which should have stood, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dcully wrote: »
    Was always going to be a tough game for Liverpool regardless of the gulf in class.
    It was manu`s world cup final so to speak and they worked very hard to put in the shift they did,they really frustrated Liverpool but in the end Liverpool bossed the final quarter and got their just reward, 1-1 fair result on the day.
    Ox was excellent when he came on, delighted for Lallana to get the equalizer.
    Salah was a big loss today, his stats are through the roof this season, the clueless point only to his goals only but he has evolved to a more complete package the last 12 months or so.

I thought the Ox was shíte when he came on, ballooned that easy cross at the end as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Under the Glazers it's very hard to see a way forward beyond 3rd/4th place at best. They simply aren't interested in allowing the club to spend enough of its own money to compete for titles. CL qualification is the financial sweet spot for them - maximum ratio of financial return vs. expenditure. I nearly called it "investment" but it's not their money, it's the club's own revenue.

Is this excuse only being spun since ManU stopped winning? They are one of the biggest spenders in the league, and probably word football since the Glazers took over no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

How is that?
    Liverpool dominated possession. Had more chances. More shots on target. Had a goal disallowed. Had a goal controversially given against them. United hanging on at the end and sitting back, parking the bus after 50 minutes. No luck involved.
    Liverpool had their worst game of the season today and were still equal to Uniteds best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

But they have spent loads and it hasn't worked, they have won alot under the Glazers. Would fans be happy with top 4 in three years?

6 wrote: »
    Is this excuse only being spun since ManU stopped winning? They are one of the biggest spenders in the league, and probably word football since the Glazers took over no?

They've bought some shockers and there was no coherent strategy in the type of players they were buying.
    Also you ignore the money back we got on players like Di Maria and Lukaku. Neither of which was a good fit for the club or the style of football we were supposed to be playing, but the Glazers liked a marquee signing to deflect from the fact they're money-grabbing leeches.

Moyes really got the hospital pass. Inherited a mediocre squad which was dragged to a higher level of performance only SAF could manage. A squad which (especially in defence) was allowed to grow old together with no replacements coming through. There'd been shockingly low net spend on players for a few years after the takeover and SAF papered over the cracks, somehow we won a last title with that squad in 2013 but it was literally on its last legs by then.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »

Utds goal was perfect goal as well.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    How is that?
    Liverpool dominated possession. Had more chances. More shots on target. Had a goal disallowed. Had a goal controversially given against them. United hanging on at the end and sitting back, parking the bus after 50 minutes. No luck involved.
    Liverpool had their worst game of the season today and were still equal to Uniteds best.

Utds best? Dont think so. We beat chelsea 4-0 this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

One of their better ones in fairness. But it was certainly Liverpool's worst, worse than Napoli. And United could only draw at home with them.

Gotta be happy with a point in those circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

giphy.gif

3 mins after Lindelof foul. Less of a foul than that challenge although both were fouls.

Incredible dispaly from the referee no wonder Ole was delighted with him.

Tackle from behind, yellow all day long.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Happy with that result, worst LFC performance in some time coupled with the best I have seen UTD in years. Very good point, onwards and upwards for Liverpool, no idea where UTD go from here, downwards i suspect.

Yeah best United performance since the opening day of the season, but you suspect they are going downwards, biased much? :rolleyes:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

And no two ways about it, ye were lucky to win that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Haha lol. Liverpool were ****e so forget your subtle dig. 20 times :D

Subtle? Dig? Yes, Liverpool were sh!te, of that i can't disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    “The narrative”

“Everyone is always against us”

Good lord lads. Ye were **** today, at least have the humility to recognise that much.

We were sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

monkey9 wrote: »
    We were sh!t.

And were the only team who looked like winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

United played good underdog tactics today. Not much use when they're playing teams like Norwich and Newcastle but it worked today. Awful state of affairs though.

Liverpool were quite meh today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Draw is probably a fair result.

Atkinson wont be on Klopps Christmas card list.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

They really werent. Draw was a fair result in a game of few clear cut chances. Utd did well in keeping Liverpool's FBs from getting high up the pitch. Utd arent bad defensively they struggle going forward .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Amazed that anyone can look at that piece of defending by Rojo and conclude that United didn't deserve to concede an equaliser.

He was decent all game but that was criminal

• Advertisement

Why wasnt Origi booked for diving before the goal,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Late to the party, but I felt that United could have had few complaints had that goal not stood in the sense that that incident is given as a foul as often as it is not. That being said, it is hard to feel for Origi going down that easily after a poor, possession losing touch and making the ref wonder about the contact. It looked minimal and I am not unhappy that that type of reaction to that level of contact didn't get rewarded. Anybody arguing for that type of foul to be given can stay quiet the next time their own team concedes a penalty to it. They can refrain from calling players divers too, because they are happy to defend the behaviour when it suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why wasnt Origi booked for diving before the goal,

Cos the ref didn't book him for diving, and much like the foul the ref missed, var were never going to suggest there was an error that needed rectifying in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

United's best performance of the season on par with Liverpool's worst so a point each is probably a fair result. Ole staying at the wheel for another month or two is the real silver lining today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Neutral here. People saying United should be dissapointed after the game must have seen a different game to me.

They played well in the first half and Liverpool were below par, but after the break Liverpool totally dominated and the goal was coming for a long while before it actually arrived - fair enough United defended well for most of the half and made it difficult for Liverpool, but I think Liverpool well deserved the equaliser and if they had another 10 minutes to do it in, I think they probably would got that winning goal. United were hanging on for the final minutes of that match, so I don't know how people can say United were unlucky today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Grand job I'm not wan of those salt hating creatures. The thread is hanging with it. Mmmmmmmm salt

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

fyfe79 wrote: »
    United? If you’re getting into that, then you can say Lallana was lucky to be on the pitch to score the goal after his two footed lunge (no VAR for it either).

https://twitter.com/solskjaerboss/status/1186080253732642816?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

cournioni wrote: »
    United? If you’re getting into that, then you can say Lallana was lucky to be on the pitch to score the goal after his two footed lunge (no VAR for it either).

Amazed it got little mention. If it had been other way around we never hear end of it.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭jacool

Should be a yellow card - don't know why I typed that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Amazed it got little mention. If it had been other way around we never hear end of it.:pac:

Hamza Choudhoury and Sergio Ramos became infamous for their bloodthirsty butcherings of Salah :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I am absolutely baffled at some Liverpool fan's reactions. So many of them slating Atkinson when he made no real egregious errors. The tackle leading to the goal could have been given either way, and maybe Rojo should have gotten a card, but other than that he was fairly spot on. In fact, I would say he was pretty lenient with how niggly Liverpool were until around 70 minutes. 15 fouls and only one yellow is a pretty unusual stat.

Pool drew with a malfunctioning team yesterday, not because of the referee, but because they were below par. And that is not the first game that they have been below par in this season and eked out a result. They managed to get a draw in the end which was a fair result given either half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone claimed a moral victory yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am absolutely baffled at some Liverpool fan's reactions. So many of them slating Atkinson when he made no real egregious errors. The tackle leading to the goal could have been given either way, and maybe Rojo should have gotten a card, but other than that he was fairly spot on. In fact, I would say he was pretty lenient with how niggly Liverpool were until around 70 minutes. 15 fouls and only one yellow is a pretty unusual stat.

Pool drew with a malfunctioning team yesterday, not because of the referee, but because they were below par. And that is not the first game that they have been below par in this season and eked out a result. They managed to get a draw in the end which was a fair result given either half.

At least two yellows (Rojo and Young), perhaps three, should have been dished out, it was one of the worst refereeing displays I've seen for some time tbh.

Not sure why you are multiposting in every thread stating the contrary to be honest..

Red for you

giphy.gif
    Have you ever played soccer?

You see somebody trying to take you out and you swerve out of the way and you can fall. Should he have risked another injury just so you could see contact?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

jacool wrote: »
    Should be a yellow card - don't know why I typed that :)

Red for you all

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Have you ever played soccer?

You see somebody trying to take you out and you swerve out of the way and you can fall. Should he have risked another injury just so you could see contact?!?

Young takes him out and Rojo is shaping up to boot the ball away, never touched Rojo at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lalana didn't make a tackle there he was foulded by Young and was sliding after it. Don't think he even touched Rojo?

Edit: someone else posted the full clip.

Red for you all

giphy.gif

he is protecting himself from Rojo potentially kicking the ball at his head possibly.

Remember when Ferguson said Williams could have killed Van Persie years ago. Similar to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Lol I saw a still from the Lalana challenge earlier and it looked horrific. The video puts it in perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

PL source: Why Man Utd goal vs Liverpool was not disallowed.

A Premier League source has told The Athletic why Marcus Rashford’s opening goal in Manchester United’s 1-1 draw against Liverpool was not disallowed by VAR.

The Athletic reports that ‘when contacted’ Premier League officials said there was still a ‘general satisfaction’ towards VAR’s performance so far this season and that ‘by and large the clubs are in agreement’.

On Lindelof’s challenge on Origi in the lead up to United‘s opener, a source told The Athletic: “The VAR’s view would have been that Martin Atkinson is up close to it, he would have seen it.

“He might have taken into account the fact that Origi’s first touch takes the ball away and he is not in control of it. Not every bit of contact is a foul.

“You might have thought it was a foul but the on-field referee didn’t and the job of the VAR is not to say, ‘What do I think?’, it is ‘Has the on-field referee made a clear and obvious error?’

“Some people were saying it was a foul, others were saying it wasn’t. By the nature of that, it was a subjective call and when it’s subjective they stick with the on-field decision.”

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Lalana didn't make a tackle there he was foulded by Young and was sliding after it. Don't think he even touched Rojo?

Edit: someone else posted the full clip.

To be fair, that's what you get from people who are not watching football, only watching gifs.

PL source: Why Man Utd goal vs Liverpool was not disallowed.

A Premier League source has told The Athletic why Marcus Rashford’s opening goal in Manchester United’s 1-1 draw against Liverpool was not disallowed by VAR.

The Athletic reports that ‘when contacted’ Premier League officials said there was still a ‘general satisfaction’ towards VAR’s performance so far this season and that ‘by and large the clubs are in agreement’.

On Lindelof’s challenge on Origi in the lead up to United‘s opener, a source told The Athletic: “The VAR’s view would have been that Martin Atkinson is up close to it, he would have seen it.

“He might have taken into account the fact that Origi’s first touch takes the ball away and he is not in control of it. Not every bit of contact is a foul.

“You might have thought it was a foul but the on-field referee didn’t and the job of the VAR is not to say, ‘What do I think?’, it is ‘Has the on-field referee made a clear and obvious error?’

“Some people were saying it was a foul, others were saying it wasn’t. By the nature of that, it was a subjective call and when it’s subjective they stick with the on-field decision.”
    Gary Neville hardcore Man Utd fan said it was a foul. Case closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My issue with VAR in England is why won't the on field referee go up to the pitch side monitor and review it themselves? It was heavily used in the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Athletic reports that ‘when contacted’ Premier League officials said there was still a ‘general satisfaction’ towards VAR’s performance so far this season and that ‘by and large the clubs are in agreement’.”

Whoever gave that quote must have their head in the sand. I don't think anyone is happy with the way they've implemented it.

Mistake after mistake every week and if that Watford pen wasn't overturned nothing ever will be.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Lol I saw a still from the Lalana challenge earlier and it looked horrific. The video puts it in perspective.

What Lallana challenge he was fouled Rojo was shaping up to blast the ball, if he had not of moved his feet it was hitting him full force in the the face and well a certain manager would say that could have killed him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement