Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oak Doors : renovate or replace ?

• 15-10-2019 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a number of oak doors in house.
    They were purchased unfinished by previous owner and he seemed to have hung them without finishing them. They are now quite grubby.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to replace the doors or perhaps they could be sanded down and renewed .

Not sure would renovation of the doors cost as much to replace them though and what would be best approach?
    If anyone has suggestions would welcome them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Give them to me.il sand them down and treat them.

And hang them in my house

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    Give them to me.il sand them down and treat them.

And hang them in my house

:)

They will work better in my gaff :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Best remove them straight away and replace them with something wipe clean, by the sounds of it plastic would suit?

Honestly replacing a decent door because its a bit grubby?

All it needs is a clean down netrol https://www.lenehans.ie/owatrol-net-trol-wood-cleaner-restorer-1l.html. Probably best if you can remove the doors for cleaning as it will make a bit of a mess.

Don't put sandpaper anywhere near them. Fine grade 000 steel wool is about as abrasive as you need to get with those doors.

Finish first with Deks Olje D1 Wood Oil and see if you can live with that if thats too natural a finish for you then Deks Olje D2 goes right over the top for a high gloss finish. All are https://www.igoe.ie/ products mail order or most builders merchants will order them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭Stigura

No, No, John! Don't listen to these fools!

Just send them to me. I'll use Deks Olje D1 Wood Oil on them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Don't replace them. Oak doors ain't cheap. I'd clean them up and use Danish oil on them. Not the cheap brands. Get the good stuff. I have heard of people using Osmo oil. Worth checking them both out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Don't use steel wool on oak, especially if using water based cleaner or finishes afterwards, tiny bits of the metal get into the pores of the wood and when they come in contact with water they react with the tannin in the oak and it turns black, you will end up with lots of small black spots on the wood, use fine Abranet or something similar to sand them, oil based finishes will darken oak, water based varnish or cellulose lacquer less so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

my3cents wrote: »
    Best remove them straight away and replace them with something wipe clean, by the sounds of it plastic would suit?

Honestly replacing a decent door because its a bit grubby?

All it needs is a clean down netrol https://www.lenehans.ie/owatrol-net-trol-wood-cleaner-restorer-1l.html. Probably best if you can remove the doors for cleaning as it will make a bit of a mess.

Don't put sandpaper anywhere near them. Fine grade 000 steel wool is about as abrasive as you need to get with those doors.

Finish first with Deks Olje D1 Wood Oil and see if you can live with that if thats too natural a finish for you then Deks Olje D2 goes right over the top for a high gloss finish. All are https://www.igoe.ie/ products mail order or most builders merchants will order them.

Should have explained more, they are around 10 years old so have general wear and tear at this stage also ,some dents and chips. Couple have split at bottom also. Refurbishing some of rooms so might have been good time to update them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

john_doe. wrote: »
    Should have explained more, they are around 10 years old so have general wear and tear at this stage also ,some dents and chips. Couple have split at bottom also. Refurbishing some of rooms so might have been good time to update them.

Trouble is your picture looks too good to be complaining about them.

If you have dents and chips you can always fill and paint but I really hate the idea of painting decent oak doors.

Also agree on the use of steel wool above I've obviously got away with it in the past but thats no guarantee.

I also didn't mention that using netrol will probably make the surface more grainy by raising the grain slightly so you may need to do a good bit of fine sanding to get back to the original which you may not want and the Deks Olje D1 Wood Oil will darken the wood.

If you have money to throw at it then replacing the doors is a possible idea in the sense that there is a lot of hard work in getting the originals looking perfect, but as you may have guessed plenty here would be happy to do it.

Advertisement