Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Very windy in greater dublin here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Avoided much of the showers today, just an odd side swipe giving the AWS a 0.4mm total.
    Maxed at 17c during a nice early afternoon sunny break. Breezy throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Horrible morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

ZX7R wrote: »
    Horrible morning

Just woken up south Dublin, same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

May see rainfall warnings come into place for later tonight / tomorrow as an area of low pressure comes up over the country

"Tonight

Dry for a time tonight with variable cloud. Mist and shallow fog patches too. Later on in the night intense heavy thundery rain will move up from the south. Most of this will affect Munster with high volumes expected, leading to localised flooding. Lowest temperatures of 3 to 7 degrees, in moderate to fresh southeast breezes.

Tomorrow

Persistent, sometimes thundery rain will move up into other areas on Monday with the potential for some high volumes and localised flooding. The heaviest of the rainfall is likely across the western half of the country through the first half of the day, with the eastern half of Ireland seeing the heaviest of it later in the evening. Highest temperatures 10 to 14 degrees. Winds will be mostly moderate easterly, though they will be brisk up along south and east coasts."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Yeah I just came in to mention it. Been a while since some words in that forecast have been used. Lots of rain overnight to soften things up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think that heavy rainfall is already here in Dublin. It's none stop for last few hours.

In botanical gardens yesterday + it was glorious. Everyone was out enjoying the autumn sunshine + trees were beautiful.

That's Ireland for you such a contrast in two days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah, yesterday was really nice in Dublin with the odd shower later in the afternoon. Was out in St. Anne's Park enjoying it. To be fair, the past week hadn't been that bad with good sunshine on numerous days and a fiery sunset on Friday night.

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly and Westmeath

Heavy rainfall will occur during the period indicated with the potential for heavy downpours locally and during shorter intervals. There is potential for flooding on already saturated or waterlogged grounds.

Valid: Sunday 13 October 2019 18:00 to Monday 14 October 2019 23:59

• Advertisement

Absolutely lashing in Louth, ground really saturated ...........rivers very high..........and more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thank god this first batch has missed us wont be so lucky tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Suns out now in Arklow after a very wet morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back to a familiar sight of a water logged driveway and garden. We've had so much rain since September 20th, it doesn't take much rainfall to flood the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Stunning day in North Laois. All morning til now.
    And still a cracking day ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 13/10/19
    gANErfJ.jpg

• Advertisement

Dry cool and clear here in Castlebar with a lovely Moon on the rise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I see met eirann have changed there yellow weather warning slightly.

10 mm last 3 hours in athenry
    Looks like the really heavy stuff might miss though ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another day. More rain. Sigh.

ZX7R wrote: »
    I see met eirann have changed there yellow weather warning slightly.

Not much point having Wicklow in it so far anyway
    Suns peeping in Arklow
    Just 2.4mm so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain here at Dunshaughlin yet again. 3 weeks of very wet conditions in a row now and what is turning into a prolonged unsettled spell.

We had 4 consecutive drier than average Octobers from 2015 to 2018 so a wet October was more than overdue to me.

October last year was very wet in Arklow
    As was November
    This ones dryer even though its wet!
    Suns out here at the moment
    Cloud on hills to the west like lead though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy rain in cork city, drains all blocked with leaves so plenty of flooding around the place as we drive. Crazy, should be cleared when a warning is given.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    We had 4 consecutive drier than average Octobers from 2015 to 2018 so a wet October was more than overdue to me.

unfortunately it's arrived off the back of a wet August and extremely wet September. Fingers crossed for a dry November, if these downpours continue all the way to December there could be some substantial flooding as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Typical irish weather...pure depression:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭pauldry

TooGars wrote: »
    Rotten morning in cork city, been raining for about 20 minutes (possibly more during the night) and looks like it will continue all afternoon. Heavy enough too

Dont you mean 20 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly 18mm of rain so far in Castlebar and 110mm for the month, we have only had 3 sub 100mm Octobers in 33 years.

1993, 2015 and 2016.

Xenji wrote: »
    Nearly 18mm of rain so far in Castlebar and 110mm for the month, we have only had 3 sub 100mm Octobers in 33 years.

1993, 2015 and 2016.

Worst day in a long time

Dunsany is already sitting at 49.3mm up to yesterday, so that doesn't include last night or today's downpours. Plenty more rain to come over the next 1 to 2 weeks so 100mm will probably be achieved here for the 3rd month in a row.

If that happens, I'm certain it's fairly rare for Dunsany to achieve 3 consecutive months of more than 100mm of rain per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not bad in Kildare now with the sun shining

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Wouldn't be surprised if there is or will be flooding in parts where the rain is persistent.
    When we get bits of the rain here in Kilkenny, it is very heavy, so it can;t be good where the colours are showing heavy, persistent rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Unreal rain in tipp the last few hours,absolutely bucketing down,fields saturated to the last

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunately it's arrived off the back of a wet August and extremely wet September. Fingers crossed for a dry November, if these downpours continue all the way to December there could be some substantial flooding as time goes on.

November has one of the highest-lowest monthly rainfall records so not very hopeful for it personally. November 2018 was bad enough (although not record breaking) for wet conditions so something drier at least here is more likely than not I’d say. I won’t hold my breath though..

Currently dry in Dublin after overnight rain with peaks of the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭odyboody

Am I correct in thinking we had very wet conditions before it turned very cold in 2009. wishful thinking I know

odyboody wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking we had very wet conditions before it turned very cold in 2009. wishful thinking I know

It was indeed. Pretty bad flooding in places especially the midlands and west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's ok now after a horrendous morning Dublin 5.

odyboody wrote: »

Very wet followed by very cold
    No thanks
    We deserve a prolonged dry and mild spell now after 3 months of absolute ****e
    Is it ok to write off the summer yet?

Rivers in some parts of the country(especially the Shannon) must be fairly high now in comparison to what they usually would be at this time of the year

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Very wet followed by very cold
    No thanks
    We deserve a prolonged dry and mild spell now after 3 months of absolute ****e
    Is it ok to write off the summer yet?

Totally agree. Dry and Mild would be just what the doctor ordered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

pad199207 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Dry and Mild would be just what the doctor ordered!

It has been pretty mild the last few months, July/Aug/Sept were all above LTAs.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    It has been pretty mild the last few months, July/Aug/Sept were all above LTAs.

Yeah wet and mild
    So
    Dry and mild please

Turned out a nice day in Arklow all day
    Max of 14.8c
    Bright with some sunny spells and a decent drying breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

One of the wettest days I ever remember here in Cork and still bucketing down.

One of the wettest days I ever remember here in Cork and still bucketing down.

+1 in tipp as well,unreal rain all day and no let up,pity there isn't an official station nearby to record how much rain has fallen since early this morning

• Advertisement

44mm at Moore Park up to half an hour ago as well as 37mm at Roches Point.

Some totals from UKMO WOW:

Ballincurrig - 50.4mm
    Limerick Junction - 49.0mm
    Mount Russell - 43.1mm
    Inishcarra - 40.0mm
    Dooks - 37.6mm
    Killarney - 34.7mm
    Mallow - 24.7mm

https://twitter.com/kilkennyweather/status/1183817408127090694

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

40.4mm from 01.30 to 10.30 this morning here near Tralee, been more or less dry since.

Caused flooding in and around Tralee with one area of town around Boherbee worst affected with around 12 or 13 homes having to put up defenses, think a few of them had water get into the houses .

Ppl6sIG.jpg?1

https://twitter.com/valunaite/status/1183782055378931712?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Rain just easing off now @ 8.30pm in Limk. 27.6mm since midnight. Wettest day here in a long time. Ground is sodden everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Merkin wrote: »

IMO Looks worst than it actually will be. Windy on coasts but nothing excessive , breezy overland, bit windy on elevated ground ,looks wettest in the far W and parts of coastal Kerry. Could be blustery in some of the big showers around the coasts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement