Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas or electric tumble dryer

Options
  • 03-10-2019 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just in the market at the moment for a tumble dryer and noticed that there are gas as well as electric tumble dryers. I was looking for a condensing one but I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on a gas one. I have gas central heating already.

The gas ones seem to be a bit more expensive to initially purchase. Would there be big differences in the running costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm just in the market at the moment for a tumble dryer and noticed that there are gas as well as electric tumble dryers. I was looking for a condensing one but I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on a gas one. I have gas central heating already.

The gas ones seem to be a bit more expensive to initially purchase. Would there be big differences in the running costs?

Gas is a lot cheaper than electricity so running costs ought be less. But you would have to lay on a gas supply and presumably specialized ducting. That's going to be pricey.

It may well be that gas dryers are phased out in time for electrical ones: you can make green electricity but not green gas. They are phasing out oil and gas central heating, for example.

You may find that your gas infrastructure becomes redundant before it manages to pay itself back.

Advertisement