Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Russia, RWC pool A, Kobe, 11.15am Irish time

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Is it not attack wins game, defence wins tournaments?

Even better...

• Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭whatcanidonow

He was average against Scotland actually and he's been missing a lot of tackles.
    I said he was average, he only made 9 metres off his carries which is quite poor. Did ok in other areas.
    Meh. You said it just there now
    No I didn't. That makes you wrong twice in a row!
    I put it in bold and all. :D

Don't want to make a show of you but I have to point out that I said he was average, not poor. Then I said his metres made off his carries were poor, just that area, he was ok in other areas. That was where you were wrong twice and then your latest post gives you a hatrick. Well done. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Don't want to make a show of you but I have to point out that I said he was average, not poor. Then I said his metres made off his carries were poor, just that area, he was ok in other areas. That was where you were wrong twice and then your latest post gives you a hatrick. Well done. :pac:
    Well I'll give you that, but you're still wrong. Even Murray Kinsella wrote an article about him shining in the Scottish match. I think I'll take MK's view and my observation over yours. Hope you can live with that. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭whatcanidonow

Well I'll give you that, but you're still wrong. Even Murray Kinsella wrote an article about him shining in the Scottish match. I think I'll take MK's view and my observation over yours. Hope you can live with that. ;)

:pac: No problemo. The facts back up my view but I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

POM lacks the physicality to consistently be a force at test level, note that's not the same as saying he's not a physical player but to my eyes he's a bit lean for the 6 position, fine when you've somebody like SOB at 7 but with VDF we look a bit lightweight against the bigger packs. Even in mid level Pro 14 games he fails to stand out like a test player should. He's clearly capable of providing match turning moments but when they dry up there's not a whole lot left to fall back on. I'm not sure that Ruddock is capable of influencing matches against the top sides at this level either unless the conditions are bad. A backrow of Ruddock, VDF and Stander would be workmanlike but I don't see them causing the better defences much trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,113 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Nah, he's going for a scan for a possibly "popped rib". Doesn't sound great tbh but imagine we'll know more tomorrow.

Terribly sad if he is out. Feel for him and his family watching on.

He lives on the edge. You need someone like that. Again, it's why he's selected. More often than not his involvement is hugely beneficial.

not the smartest to play him with a ref that has a history of penalising Ireland and one that Joe riled up during the week with an ill-advised comment.

Aussies (Garnder) hate been called out and being an "on the edge" player is not advisable in the case of a ref singled out like that. O'Mahony has a habit of being lippy which refs like that don't appreciate either.

Joe cocked up there on the call-out and the O'Mahony selection imo

Gardner pushed down the pecking order but too late for Ireland in terms of the Japan game

https://extra.ie/2019/10/02/sport/rugby/ireland-vs-japan-ref-gardner-axed-from-england-vs-argentina-duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

glasso wrote: »
    not the smartest to play him with a ref that has a history of penalising Ireland and one that Joe riled up during the week with an ill-advised comment.

Aussies (Garnder) hate been called out and being an "on the edge" player is not advisable in the case of a ref singled out like that. O'Mahony has a habit of being lippy which refs like that don't appreciate either.

Joe cocked up there on the call-out and the O'Mahony selection imo

Gardner pushed down the pecking order but too late for Ireland in terms of the Japan game

https://extra.ie/2019/10/02/sport/rugby/ireland-vs-japan-ref-gardner-axed-from-england-vs-argentina-duty

Gardner didn’t have to be on the edge

First penalty POM was lying on top of player, elbows and whole arm on the ground, clear as day even from the zoomed out camera view.....then looks at ref puzzled when he gives away penalty.....your not getting any favours from a ref with that messing

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Gardner didn’t have to be on the edge

First penalty POM was lying on top of player, elbows and whole arm on the ground, clear as day even from the zoomed out camera view.....then looks at ref puzzled when he gives away penalty.....your not getting any favours from a ref with that messing

the "on-the-edge" was a description of O'Mahony by another poster, not to do with the ref.

but yes, O'Mahony can give away completely lazy and avoidable penalties with annoying regularity.

I don’t get this “he plays on the edge”

McCaw was a player who was on the edge all the time

POM is played for lineout...nothing about on the edge jumping in the air....he might get one turnover a match....he could also give away 3-4 penalties.....I would hardly call it playing on the edge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did the team do any particular preparation for the humidity?

The Commentary Team? Sure they'd be used to sitting around in hot air for lengthy periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

While yesterday was poor, some commentators have gone overboard. Cummiskey in the Times and O'Connor in the Indo have given very low ratings all round. For example, O'C gives Conway 5 - he did all you could ask of him, and POM 3. Now I know there are mixed views on the latter but he was reasonably effective and scored a try. These fellows are just trying to be hard men by showing how critical they can be. We don't need fans with laptops but really!

crossman47 wrote: »
    While yesterday was poor, some commentators have gone overboard. Cummiskey in the Times and O'Connor in the Indo have given very low ratings all round. For example, O'C gives Conway 5 - he did all you could ask of him, and POM 3. Now I know there are mixed views on the latter but he was reasonably effective and scored a try. These fellows are just trying to be hard men by showing how critical they can be. We don't need fans with laptops but really!

At the moment been critical is selling papers/getting clicks....

Anybody been anyway positive is not good enough news. Saying the team is s**t is better.....

Lots of people on here following the same agenda, oh well such and such said they are s**t on RTE so that my opinion now.....

It would be interesting to release two articles in the same paper. One positive and one negative. I can bet you the clicks for the negative article would be a lot higher.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    At the moment been critical is selling papers/getting clicks....

Anybody been anyway positive is not good enough news. Saying the team is s**t is better.....

Lots of people on here following the same agenda, oh well such and such said they are s**t on RTE so that my opinion now.....

It would be interesting to release two articles in the same paper. One positive and one negative. I can bet you the clicks for the negative article would be a lot higher.....

I'm sure you're right and of course we have had some journalists swinging wildly (all is grand after Scotland even though Scots were hopeless) to (we're terrible (after Japan even though Japan were the hosts and primed for that match). I can't help but feel the guns were out for Joe once he left Toner at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

* The reality always resides somewhere in between.

I got it from a fortune cookie once. I'm sticking with that advice. :-)

The media is simple. People are predictable.

Imagine two headlines tomorrow:

Murray Kinsella: Plenty of work-ons for Irish squad this week.

Or

Neil Francis: IRELAND DOOMED TO FAILURE. AGAIN!!!

I'd risk a testicle upon which article gets the most "clicks". :-(

^^ LOL McLOL

Neil Francis: 'Ireland should pack up and catch the next flight home'
    Latest woeful display confirms that Schmidt's men haven't a hope of going beyond last eight

Not linking, didn't go beyond it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    ^^ LOL McLOL

Neil Francis: 'Ireland should pack up and catch the next flight home'
    Latest woeful display confirms that Schmidt's men haven't a hope of going beyond last eight

Not linking, didn't go beyond it.
    You wouldn’t want to be in a sticky situation with Neil Francis and need his back-up . He’d be gone away home to his Mammy .:P

crossman47 wrote: »
    I'm sure you're right and of course we have had some journalists swinging wildly (all is grand after Scotland even though Scots were hopeless) to (we're terrible (after Japan even though Japan were the hosts and primed for that match). I can't help but feel the guns were out for Joe once he left Toner at home.

Some elements of the press, especially RTE have it in for Joe since the moment he took over the job....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Going a bit far down the conspiracy hole to claim the press have been waiting for an opportunity to attack Schmidt. The press is reactionary and sensationalist, in ‘18 Schmidt was the greatest rugby mind the world had ever seen, now Ireland are struggling in a World Cup there’s going to be criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

thebaz wrote: »
    Joe sort of hinted that sexton will play Samoa, I would much prefer he was on the bench and given 20 at end of game - I fear some of the early big Somoan hits, and fear Sexton will be targeted , I would think Carberyy/ Carty should get the job done and will both have learnt from Japan.

Won't matter. Everyone knows now only chance we have is if Sexton plays. ****ing headless without him. The target he had on his back is now 100 times bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

twinytwo wrote: »
    Won't matter. Everyone knows now only chance we have is if Sexton plays. ****ing headless without him. The target he had on his back is now 100 times bigger
    Funny isn't it. All the talk the last few years was "depth" and here we are relying so much on one player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Going a bit far down the conspiracy hole to claim the press have been waiting for an opportunity to attack Schmidt. The press is reactionary and sensationalist, in ‘18 Schmidt was the greatest rugby mind the world had ever seen, now Ireland are struggling in a World Cup there’s going to be criticism.

It's almost like we need a press that reports on press. Someone has to hold a mirror up to these arseholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,113 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ClanofLams wrote: »

Neither claim is true of course.

Funny isn't it. All the talk the last few years was "depth" and here we are relying so much on one player.

All teams have critical players..... 1-2 World Class players who they rely on

Ireland is no different

Pick any team and they are the same, remove 1-2 players and they are a different beast

The depth was to build a squad around those players so we had a strong 31 players and some players on standby. That has been done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement