Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Houses Kilcock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Not on either side here but people talking about flooding this year should bear in mind that as yet soil moisture deficit is still high.

Since the drought there has been insufficient rain to bring moisture up to normal levels in the ground.

Unlikely to see much prolonged flooding around the country just yet. Spate flooding will occur and dissipate

That's not true. Soil moisture deficits are not high. Almost all parts of the country (bar a few spots in the north and west) have reached or exceeded saturation point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 manjusha1982

I agreed to millerstown house previous week. I see the comments about flood but not much panic as there are bridged roadways to the property and lower level valleys are created much closer to the canal to avoid flooding. Access to property issue is solved. I would like to know after the landscape modifications are there any flood occurred in 2018?
    Also which primary school is the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 only new

millerstown new housing estate what are the houses like, any problems, all the ramps on the road in to the estate is mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

only new wrote: »
    millerstown new housing estate what are the houses like, any problems, all the ramps on the road in to the estate is mad.

Sorry for posting in old thread.

Millerstown at the front didnt cope well with the rainfall over night. Right up over the footpath. Not near the houses yet but still doesnt look great. Dangerous for kids though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

And a potential big storm due Thurs. It's the cumulative that will get it some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 bbbbb1990

Millerstown at the front didnt cope well with the rainfall over night. Right up over the footpath. Not near the houses yet but still doesnt look great. Dangerous for kids though.

A. The footpath is still above water.

B.Not near the houses YET. It's nowhere near the houses and never will be less kilcock be underwater in its entirety.

So how about you quit your over exaggerated nonsense.

It's doing what it's suppose to disapate flood water when river rises when the rain is heavy. Itll be gone tomorrow like previously happened.

bbbbb1990 wrote: »
    A. The footpath is still above water.

B.Not near the houses YET. It's nowhere near the houses and never will be less kilcock be underwater in its entirety.

So how about you quit your over exaggerated nonsense.

It's doing what it's suppose to disapate flood water when river rises when the rain is heavy. Itll be gone tomorrow like previously happened.

A. No its not. Down at the pond parts of it are submerged.

B. No fence or protection for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭djbulldogg1983

Don’t make me laugh.

A) The front green is there to hold water. All
    The locals are praying that it will reach the houses so they can say “I told you so” :-D
    They’ll all be waiting a long time! Cumulative my arse, we’ve seen the third highest rainfall and it took the whole green and it was still capable of taking a massive amount of extra water! All
    The locals driving by and taking photos, it’s actually pathetic.

B) Is there any protection from the canal water for kids? No, they can fall straight in.... go cry about that to someone you poor little petal

A. Just checked ...and no it's not so again talking nonsense..

B. Fences and walls are not protection they make it more attractive to play on and harder to see if god forbid someone was in trouble. Should we petition to wall the entire royal canal using your logic?

Do you usually let your kids play unsupervised beside rivers after heavy rainfall ? Should someone call Tusla ?

B. Fences and walls are not protection they make it more attractive to play on and harder to see if god forbid someone was in trouble. Should we petition to wall the entire royal canal using your logic?

Do you usually let your kids play unsupervised beside rivers after heavy rainfall ? Should someone call Tusla ?

Oh you live there. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

6 posts in two years all on the same thread ...

Don’t make me laugh.

A) The front green is there to hold water. All
    The locals are praying that it will reach the houses so they can say “I told you so” :-D
    They’ll all be waiting a long time! Cumulative my arse, we’ve seen the third highest rainfall and it took the whole green and it was still capable of taking a massive amount of extra water! All
    The locals driving by and taking photos, it’s actually pathetic.

B) Is there any protection from the canal water for kids? No, they can fall straight in.... go cry about that to someone you poor little petal

All posts in two years on one thread ....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

liam7831 wrote: »
    All posts in two years on one thread ....

Doesn't change the accuracy of the summary.

Graham wrote: »
    Doesn't change the accuracy of the summary.

If you say so

liam7831 wrote: »
    If you say so

Me, physics, the planning application, the local authority, the developers, the engineers who designed the water management system.

Your in-depth technical analysis of fluid dynamics appears to be limited to another posters posting frequency. ;)

Me, physics, the planning application, the local authority, the developers, the engineers who designed the water management system.

Your in-depth technical analysis of fluid dynamics appears to be limited to another posters posting frequency. ;)

There is flooding at the front on the green where kids do play. Thats accurate.

There is flooding at the front on the green where kids do play. Thats accurate.

You mean there's water in the area that's designed to hold water.

There's going to be children throwing themselves into it lemming-style non-stop. Won't somebody think of the children.

Panic.

Run for your lives.

:rolleyes:

Yes, that area is designed to hold excess water. As has been pointed out every time there's excess water in that pond.

The lady doth protests too much, methinks

Yawwwwwwwn.
    Nosey locals keep praying for flooding to reach houses.
    Every time it rains heavy and water bursts it’s banks all the locals get super excited and walk by taking pictures and can’t wait to come on boards and post their delight.
    Nicest estate in the town and I’m a proud owner of one of those houses. I can live with the river bursting its banks, why is it so difficult for these people to do the same??

And smelly sock what is your point about kids and water? Answer the question about the canal? Kids walk along there every day? Why aren’t you out with your “down with this sort of thing” placard?
    There are life buoys down beside the river in the estate.
    The river will burst its banks, and hopefully the water will always be retained on the green as designed.

I know all you guys hope differently, just so you can say “I told you so”.

“The lady doth protest too much”.....??? says one of the many regular “it’s a flood zone, think of the children” contributors!!!!
    Everyone who bought in the estate has done their research, why don’t you locals just relax and worry about the shoddy and run down town, the lack of commuter services, lack of any real traffic calming measures etc etc. Plenty of other real issues in Kilcock without having to “worry” for your new neighbours ;-)

Millerstown has coped very well with the rainfall and natural river swell. Gone right back down you know as it is engineered to do.
    Still looks great as it does every other day of the year.

I figured the 2 begruding posters above wouldn't be posting here when it's done it's job as I'm sure their a bit sour that a biblical flood isn't upon the residents of Millerstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

All
    That's a good laugh and probably true.

You mean there's water in the area that's designed to hold water.

It's not sold as such though; More generally the development has been restricted in size, the flood relief works go across to balfeaghan and the trim road and thus far it hasn't flooded.

I'd like to see the village retrofitted with some of the technology that Sean Reilly used for Millerstown , permeable roads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Not a great image though, this cannot be denied. The marketing material shows lovely park area at the front of estate. Reality is a few times per year it'll be submerged. BYO paddle boat.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Not a great image though, this cannot be denied. The marketing material shows lovely park area at the front of estate. Reality is a few times per year it'll be submerged. BYO paddle boat.

Is there any impact on the trout fishery on the rye in Leixlip from these works?

You can see very extensive works from Ryebridge. That seem more than adequate.

When is that walkway in ryebridge going to be finished and is there any prospect of it being linked up to the canal? if Reilly put a walkway along the Rye in that would be a nice walk from the canal down to the Rye at Millerstown and then across the road (by a pedestrian crossing ideally) then up the canal in a little loop.

It’s not a great look but you don’t have to look at it so why are you worried?
    There is going to be torrential rain over the coming days, no doubt the drone guy and all the locals will be out in force again .
    I’ll get my canoe at the ready :-)

It’s not a great look but you don’t have to look at it so why are you worried?
    They don't bother me I can assure you. I think they look quite good.

Maybe something could be done to create a permanent clean area for outdoor swimming (at Balfeaghan not Millerstown).

I figured the 2 begruding posters above wouldn't be posting here when it's done it's job as I'm sure their a bit sour that a biblical flood isn't upon the residents of Millerstown.
    It's not begrudgery. That's just the received wisdom of the locality ; begrudgery is definitely the wrong word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Everyone who bought in the estate has done their research, why don’t you locals just relax and worry about the shoddy and run down town, the lack of commuter services, lack of any real traffic calming measures etc etc. Plenty of other real issues in Kilcock without having to “worry” for your new neighbours ;-)

Yawn, so defensive all the time. Saying childlike stuff like "Nicest estate in the town". Maybe it gives you some self-justification for purchasing a house on a swamp. And to then complain about the town, did your extensive research not incorporate all these REAL issues. Laughable.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Yawn, so defensive all the time. Saying childlike stuff like "Nicest estate in the town". Maybe it gives you some self-justification for purchasing a house on a swamp. And to then complain about the town, did your extensive research not incorporate all these REAL issues. Laughable.

Yeah but he's right; the bizarre tendering and sale of the parish centre followed by the reduction in size of the proposed centre in the Bawnogues; the pathetic train connections ; the morons trying to make us the last stop on the Dublin bus routes ; the terrible schools ; the reports of drug dealing at the funfair ; the suspected attempted burglaries last year ; the bicycle stolen a month ago ; the absence of any swimming pool are all much worse problems than potential flooding in Millerstown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You can be right but still be a prick. He's definitely not right though.

Advertisement