Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No going to work because X died...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I know it was 25 years ago but Sennas death had a deep effect on me at the time. I was supposed to travel back to Dublin for work on the Monday but was too upset to and so rang in sick on Monday and travelled down Monday evening for work Tuesday. I got upset everytime I thought of it for weeks after.

I can’t think of anyone alive to day (other than family) whose death would have the same effect on me.

I think if someone’s death is as a result of a tragic accident or sudden illness then it effects people more than someone who died naturally from old age or prolonged illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Vita nova wrote: »
    There are two people I've been watching on TV since I was a child. I've read their autobiographies and followed their lives and even though I've never met them or never will, I'll certainly mark their passing.
    Probably take the day off (self employed), light a candle, head to the sea or the ocean and remember them.

You would take a day off work for Gay Byrne and Ray D’arcy!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,493 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I know it was 25 years ago but Sennas death had a deep effect on me at the time. I was supposed to travel back to Dublin for work on the Monday but was too upset to and so rang in sick on Monday and travelled down Monday evening for work Tuesday. I got upset everytime I thought of it for weeks after.

I can’t think of anyone alive to day (other than family) whose death would have the same effect on me.

I think if someone’s death is as a result of a tragic accident or sudden illness then it effects people more than someone who died naturally from old age or prolonged illness.

One day off is not enough for that level of upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

My dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

If you need an emergency mental health day when a celebrity you have never met dies, I can’t fathom how you would deal with the death of a family member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

You would take a day off work for Gay Byrne and Ray D’arcy!?!?

The day that happens, call the men in white coats to take me to a home for the bewildered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Even if i loved what they did, I wouldn't be that invested in them personally to take a day off.
    They don't pay my bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

The only celebrity death that stopped me in my tracks was Robin Williams, as mentioned by a previous poster. I didn't call in sick to work mind you, but I was definitely inexplicably upset about a man I had never met and had no personal relationship with.

His death stung, it actually affected me for about a week. I wasn't crying or anything but it weighed heavy on my mind, I just found it all quite sad and upsetting. Even 5 years later when I think of it, I find it sad. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If you need a day off work over the death of someone you have never met and you are over 16,then your employer needs a better employee.

Think we're just having a bit of fun now.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Shigeru Miyamato ...creator of Super Mario etc.

Though, as he is Japanese, he'll probably outlive all of us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Usually I don't care when a famous person croaks but Robin Williams was the one person that genuinely upset me. A massive part of my childhood and just seemed like a very nice decent person.

I wasn’t a fan but his death was so sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Heavy Beast

Jack Charlton. Hahahhahahah Alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Mick jagger. Because I'm Mick jagger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Why?

What is to celebrate? Or even care about?

Other than bewilderment at how he got to where he is or the frequent amusing news item why would you care one way or the other what he does?

To be honest, the fact that you’d celebrate a death is twisted and creepy.

In some cases, it’s fine. I distinctly remember inwardly cheering and thinking “rot in hell” when Myra Hindley died. I love that she spent her life trying to get released and never succeeded (totally barmy of her to think that would ever happen) and finally died in prison. The despicable cunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

mrcheez wrote: »
    Shigeru Miyamato ...creator of Super Mario etc.

Though, as he is Japanese, he'll probably outlive all of us

Aww no way not Shigeru.

Thats Monday off.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

In some cases, it’s fine. I distinctly remember inwardly cheering and thinking “rot in hell” when Myra Hindley died. I love that she spent her life trying to get released and never succeeded (totally barmy of her to think that would ever happen) and finally died in prison. The despicable cunt.

Had never heard of her. Disgusting human being!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I detest the whole “celeb” culture, the death of one of them would have no impact on me whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

On a related but tangential note, I had a maths teacher in the same school who was the type who would strictly focus on the maths class no matter what happened. He never took a sick day, never chatted in class and gave homework over the summer holidays (and checked it when you came back in September). The day Margaret Thatcher resigned, he came into class with a radio up to his ear, declared “The bitch is gone!” and we sat for 45 minutes listening to the coverage, him with a big smile on his face. That was the one day in 5 years he didn’t give us homework.

Brian Cody.

I'd take the day off if Queen Elizabeth II of the UK died...

I work here for a UK based company and they would presumably all be off so wouldn't notice if I didn't show up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Non issue for me anyway, Freddie is already dead
    His death actually made me sad for weeks, been a massive Queen fan since I was a teen, it all started about 1983.
    I was a Queen fan when it was massively uncool to be a Queen fan. The fact that my other two favourite bands at the time where Marillion and Beatles didn't help with my popularity in a German Realschule in the 80's where everyone was into heavy metal. :D
    As a joke celebrity I could also name Keith Richards, so I'll probably be dead for centuries before he kicks the bucket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Why?

What is to celebrate? Or even care about?

Other than bewilderment at how he got to where he is or the frequent amusing news item why would you care one way or the other what he does?

To be honest, the fact that you’d celebrate a death is twisted and creepy.

It's not even Trump himself. Before he was president, he was just some guy on a bad reality TV show that I hoped people wouldn't take as a good example on how to conduct business.
    It's more that he is the God of trolls and morons and it shows that world politics has descended to the level of six year olds.
    Only arseholes vote Trump. On a deep and personal level I'd piss on his grave in order to publish the video purely for the reason to piss off his knuckledragging, sub 50 IQ fanbase.
    There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you need a day off work over the death of someone you have never met and you are over 16,then your employer needs a better employee.

What if it's my employer who died?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Robert Mugabe....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bob Dylan. I'd sit at home all day playing the cassettes I have of him , loads, and dig my harmonica out. Then glued to the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Can never bring myself to go to work on the day that Jesus died.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd take the day off if Queen Elizabeth II of the UK died...

I work here for a UK based company and they would presumably all be off so wouldn't notice if I didn't show up.

I wonder how long the UK will close down for when it happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be honest, I have never understood the idea of getting upset over “celebrity” deaths. People bawling over someone they’ve never met. Yes, I think it’s sad if they were young or had a young family. I can empathise with that but I’m not going to cry.

There might be a couple of authors or musicians who I might think it’s a shame I won’t read/listen to again but I’m not going to “shed a tear” or require a day off.

I remember working in a place when Frank Sinatra died in ‘98, one woman in the office was inconsolable and was “allowed” go home before lunch. She was in tears. In my naivety I asked someone if they were related or did she know him personally.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement