Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost faith

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

IF TRUE (whatever the hell that means) is your construction. I'm in the IF TRUE THEN territory.

IF God exists THEN x,y,z follows.

Clearly the plc has to ask whether the IF condition is satisfied or not.

Is it "TRUE" ...the plc considers to isself before deciding which output lever to pull. Not IF TRUE.

Your arguments are all predicated on the outcome of your condition having a single result though, If god exists.... If god is talking to me.... etc. To progress, it demands every if holds true. That the end condition is reachable isn't the issue because that is your starting point. You are quite literally making an enormous leap faith that has nothing to do with logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

smacl wrote: »
    Your arguments are all predicated on the outcome of your condition having a single result though, If god exists.... If god is talking to me.... etc. To progress, it demands every if holds true. That the end condition is reachable isn't the issue because that is your starting point. You are quite literally making an enormous leap faith that has nothing to do with logic.

Sure - but so are yours. The amount of assumptions that are laden in your arguments are pretty easy to highlight, I've highlighted several and I've explained why I am in disagreement with you.

The crux of the issue for me is much simpler. On the basis of what Jesus Christ, do I trust the eyewitnesses and what they have recorded about Him, and do I take Jesus at His word, based on His testimony to us.

My answer is yes, I have my reasons why. Your answer is no, presumably you have reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Your arguments are all predicated on the outcome of your condition having a single result though, If god exists.... If god is talking to me.... etc. To progress, it demands every if holds true.

Its not a question of progress. Its a question of destination.

If the IF's are TRUE (and we can of course add in any number of other IF'S and AND's to reflect complexity) THEN we arrive at our destination: I can have objective truth even if I am the only person in the world with it.

Since you have no way of knowing whether the IF is TRUE or not, you can't make the statement you made earlier, the statement with which we commenced this discussion.

That the end condition is reachable isn't the issue because that is your starting point. You are quite literally making an enormous leap faith that has nothing to do with logic.

You'll have to explain what you mean here. What is this end condition? That God exists?

Clearly that need not be my starting point if we are following the IF TRUE THEN path.

That statement starts with Gods existence (IF God exists = TRUE) long before I existed.

It moves to an AND statement involving an act of God (..AND he choses to communicate the fact of his existence with one of his created beings).

It moves to a THEN statement (..THEN that created being knows God exists).

This is an everyday experience: IF daddy keeps on pointing to cars on the street AND he keeps on saying "CAAARRR" to his boy-in-arms whilst pointing at said car THEN the baby child will one day, to his dads's surprise and delight issue forth his first word on seeing car go by: "CAAAR".

Daddy is the one who makes it all happen. Babe-in-arms is merely the receiver. In the case of me on this thread I'm rendered but the bearer of the good news: "God exists".

Don't shoot the baby in arms. CAAAR!

Sure - but so are yours. The amount of assumptions that are laden in your arguments are pretty easy to highlight, I've highlighted several and I've explained why I am in disagreement with you.

The crux of the issue for me is much simpler. On the basis of what Jesus Christ, do I trust the eyewitnesses and what they have recorded about Him, and do I take Jesus at His word, based on His testimony to us.

My answer is yes, I have my reasons why. Your answer is no, presumably you have reasons why.

To be fair to smacl, there is absolutely no reason in the world to place your trust in some words written by some sheepherders up a hill in the middle east some 2,000 years ago on the basis of some randomers on the internet / some AR-15 totin' Texans who "love da Looord Jeeeezus" Not when there are sheepherders in locations all over the world, before and after these particular sheepherders, making pretty significant claims of their own.

I mean, from smacl's point of view, discerning which of the many options available are true, if any, is a task a little beyond figuring out which mobile phone deal represents the best value. The latter in itself a task beyond mere mortal beings...

To be fair to smacl, there is absolutely no reason in the world to place your trust in some words written by some sheepherders up a hill in the middle east some 2,000 years ago on the basis of some randomers on the internet / some AR-15 totin' Texans who "love da Looord Jeeeezus" Not when there are sheepherders in locations all over the world, before and after these particular sheepherders, making pretty significant claims of their own.

I mean, from smacl's point of view, discerning which of the many options available are true, if any, is a task a little beyond figuring out which mobile phone deal represents the best value. That in itself a task beyond mere mortal beings...

My point is simple, both of us have come up with conclusions based on the data. Both of us have presuppositions and assumptions about the world we live in.

smacl isn't in some kind of superior position in this regard. We simply have different assumptions based on what conclusions we've drawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

If we define murder as unlawful killing it becomes dependent on who's laws we're bound by. For example, some pro-life types have declared abortion to be a form of murder, others consider assisted suicide a form of murder. I personally don't consider those to be valid definitions of murder but that is not to say they couldn't be enacted as such in law. The converse is more commonly true where I'd consider lawful forms of killing to be murderous. I don't know if you followed the Asia Bibi case for example, who was sentenced to death for blasphemy (and thankfully released some years later) but had she been executed would you consider it murder? Would you consider someone involved in assisted suicide guilty of murder? Again, I think what at face value seems like a universally acceptable moral standard has exceptions and we need to account for context.

I think what you've said here is really helpful, even though I'm going to push back :). At the outset, we should both acknowledge that moral matters can be incredibly complex. But I think we also need to make a distinction between discerning whether a certain act is right or wrong (which can be incredibly difficult, with all its context) and the basis on which we make those kinds of judgements.

I make moral judgements on the basis that right and wrong are objective values established by God. I would say that it is objectively wrong to deliberately kill the unborn, sick or infirm, and objectively wrong to kill people for blaspheming. I think those statements hold true regardless of what any government legislates one way or the other.

So, whose laws am I bound by? Ultimately, God's laws which are objectively true and valid. Our country's laws should mirror them as far as possible, and in so far as they do they are truly just and good. Where they don't, I take comfort in the fact that God is perfectly just in a way that we can only approximate and that he will, in the end, right all wrongs and make all things right.

What about you? Taking the Asia Bibi case as an example, what is your basis for saying that Pakistan would have been wrong to execute her? If it was legal there, and the people involved thought it was right, why should they take account of your subjective beliefs?

My point is simple, both of us have come up with conclusions based on the data. Both of us have presuppositions and assumptions about the world we live in.

Fair enough. It's just that I didn't come to the conclusion I came to based on the same data set available to smacl. Indeed, when I had the same data set which is available to smacl (although I didn't avail of it much) I came to the same conclusion as smacl.

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    I think what you've said here is really helpful, even though I'm going to push back :). At the outset, we should both acknowledge that moral matters can be incredibly complex. But I think we also need to make a distinction between discerning whether a certain act is right or wrong (which can be incredibly difficult, with all its context) and the basis on which we make those kinds of judgements.

I make moral judgements on the basis that right and wrong are objective values established by God. I would say that it is objectively wrong to deliberately kill the unborn, sick or infirm, and objectively wrong to kill people for blaspheming. I think those statements hold true regardless of what any government legislates one way or the other.

So, whose laws am I bound by? Ultimately, God's laws which are objectively true and valid. Our country's laws should mirror them as far as possible, and in so far as they do they are truly just and good. Where they don't, I take comfort in the fact that God is perfectly just in a way that we can only approximate and that he will, in the end, right all wrongs and make all things right.

What about you? Taking the Asia Bibi case as an example, what is your basis for saying that Pakistan would have been wrong to execute her? If it was legal there, and the people involved thought it was right, why should they take account of your subjective beliefs?

For an objective view with the broadest consensus and acceptance on how we should treat one another, I'd tend to go with UN Human Rights treaties, where the OHCHR has an international mandate in this respect. So while Pakistani law allows for execution for crimes such as blasphemy, it is in breach of international human rights treaties in doing so, which I, and I believe most people, would hold as the higher authority.

Where this is very different from religious morality is that these rights are arrived at by consensus and are refined as our understanding of the human condition changes. So for example as we were discussing previously, where religious dogma might state that marriage can only ever be between a man and a woman, a basic human right is not to suffer discrimination based on gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. While at a personal level you might subscribe to a religious code of conduct, our society is a secular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

For an objective view with the broadest consensus and acceptance on how we should treat one another, I'd tend to go with UN Human Rights treaties, where the OHCHR has an international mandate in this respect. So while Pakistani law allows for execution for crimes such as blasphemy, it is in breach of international human rights treaties in doing so, which I, and I believe most people, would hold as the higher authority.

Where this is very different from religious morality is that these rights are arrived at by consensus and are refined as our understanding of the human condition changes. So for example as we were discussing previously, where religious dogma might state that marriage can only ever be between a man and a woman, a basic human right is not to suffer discrimination based on gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. While at a personal level you might subscribe to a religious code of conduct, our society is a secular one.

And yet the UN Human Rights is awfully quiet when the evil that control the world are using the US as their enforcer to maintain the status quo of the US petrodollar.

This is an everyday experience: IF daddy keeps on pointing to cars on the street AND he keeps on saying "CAAARRR" to his boy-in-arms whilst pointing at said car THEN the baby child will one day, to his dads's surprise and delight issue forth his first word on seeing car go by: "CAAAR".

Daddy is the one who makes it all happen. Babe-in-arms is merely the receiver. In the case of me on this thread I'm rendered but the bearer of the good news: "God exists".

Don't shoot the baby in arms. CAAAR!

Shooting babies aside, while a rather unusual metaphor it does bring up a rather interesting point. Why do most people believe in god? In my opinion, it is because the people they trust most, i.e. parents and teachers, tell them god exists from a young age. Why do those parents and teachers believe in god? Because their parents and teachers did the same for them. Put more simply, religious belief comes largely from tradition and is inherited from the society your born in. So for example, if you had been born in Pakistan, how likely do you think it is that you would 'know' god existed?

There are exceptions of course where people take to religion or change religion in later life, but this represents a tiny fraction of the nominally religious population.

Oh, and god takes rather more work than CAAARs, because the dad can say GODDD all day long but the baby still isn't going to see what's not there ;)

• Advertisement

Shooting babies aside, while a rather unusual metaphor it does bring up a rather interesting point. Why do most people believe in god? In my opinion, it is because the people they trust most, i.e. parents and teachers, tell them god exists from a young age. Why do those parents and teachers believe in god? Because their parents and teachers did the same for them. Put more simply, religious belief comes largely from tradition and is inherited from the society your born in. So for example, if you had been born in Pakistan, how likely do you think it is that you would 'know' god existed?

There are exceptions of course where people take to religion or change religion in later life, but this represents a tiny fraction of the nominally religious population.

Oh, and god takes rather more work than CAAARs, because the dad can say GODDD all day long but the baby still isn't going to see what's not there ;)

I understand your position. And its not an unreasonable hypothesis. Indeed, I think your are right to a significant degree.

However, we are dealing with a statement you made earlier which I have countered (and I think that counter unassailable).

Unless you assail (is that a word?), then the logic stands and your statement falls. And needs to be withdrawn.

Why do most people believe in god? In my opinion, it is because the people they trust most, i.e. parents and teachers, tell them god exists from a young age. Why do those parents and teachers believe in god? Because their parents and teachers did the same for them.

Can't agree tbh, whether God exists or not is separate in some sense to why people believe in God. Every tribe has some sort of religious belief stretching back into pre-history. The need to believe in God reflects something deeply human in us.

Unfortunately cultural chauvinism explains this by basically saying primitive people didn't know any better, but that presumes they were incapable of having the same doubts and rationality as the rest of us.

Faith is faith for a reason, it's like colour blindness. I can't explain it to anyone else, you have to come to it as an individual.

God has given us a conscience and written morales on our hearts. It's those that have too much pride that have rejected God, thinking whatever the media tells us is right. According to an atheist we have descended from apes, which descended from fish, which came from bacteria, which came from atoms, which came from nothing. This is why an atheist needs more belief than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just saw this thread.
    I have also lost my faith. I just don’t get all this bit about us really being born to be put on trial, which then determines if we go to Heaven or Hell. The reason is that we are told that “God knows all things, He is almighty”. So if he already knows how we’ll live our lives then why the big test? Also why make little kids suffer with cancer, leukemia etc?

It just doesn’t add up.

We have free will in this world. If I reject God, it's not God that made me do it, it is my decision. Death, disease etc exists in this world because we disobeyed God due to our sinful nature and therefore creation is now corrupted. While our time is limited in this world, it is minor when compared to the soul when it leaves this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We have free will in this world. If I reject God, it's not God that made me do it, it is my decision. Death, disease etc exists in this world because we disobeyed God due to our sinful nature and therefore creation is now corrupted. While our time is limited in this world, it is minor when compared to the soul when it leaves this world.

So then you are saying that we have a vengeful God. Goes against a lot of teachings. Plus this “free will” doesn’t matter as He already knows how we’re going to behave, free will or not.

So then you are saying that we have a vengeful God. Goes against a lot of teachings. Plus this “free will” doesn’t matter as He already knows how we’re going to behave, free will or not.

He is a loving God, it's in our best interests to put our trust in God rather than the material possessions of this world. It's never too late to turn back to God. He knows how we will behave, it's ultimately our decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Quandary

I would love to have a completely unshakeable belief that there is a god, but no matter what I read, who I listen to or how deeply I think about it, I just cannot accept that the Christian god, or really any "God" could exist. The reality I see every day screams to me that this life is all I will ever have and that when my heart stops beating and my brain dies then everything that is me will be gone forever. I believe the only part of me that will exist after death is whatever legacy I leave behind, be it my children or the way I have affected other people.

I used to find this quite bleak, but the older I've gotten the more I have learned to appreciate what I have and find happiness in seemingly little things.

I firmly believe that all of the worlds major religions are nothing more than cults which have grown to a large enough level that they are taken seriously.

This makes sense to me but I understand why this line of thinking is not palatable for everybody.

As long as people aren't proselytising or adversely affecting others with their beliefs then each to their own.

Quandary wrote: »
    I would love to have a completely unshakeable belief that there is a god, but no matter what I read, who I listen to or how deeply I think about it, I just cannot accept that the Christian god, or really any "God" could exist. The reality I see every day screams to me that this life is all I will ever have and that when my heart stops beating and my brain dies then everything that is me will be gone forever. I believe the only part of me that will exist after death is whatever legacy I leave behind, be it my children or the way I have affected other people.

The bolded section is interesting to me. What I'm reality convinces you that there is no God? There's a lot in reality that convinces me of the truth of the Scriptures (such as our indwelling desire for justice, or our appeals to objective morality in the event of wrongdoing, or the corruption of the world and our role in that, or the uniformity of nature in our creation that allows us to make repeatable observations concerning it in the first place).

Often I think the quality of discussion on threads like this is rather poor. Why? We never delve into our assumptions and presuppositions.

We simply assert "Yes, there is a God" or "No, it's a fairy tale" without exploring the assumptions behind our positions. That's something I've hinted at in some replies to smacl.
    As long as people aren't proselytising or adversely affecting others with their beliefs then each to their own.

Christianity is an evangelical religion. It requires us to share it with others. It's all over the Bible. So I will prayerfully attempt to share my faith with my friends and neighbours.

That's my freedom in the same way as you can do the opposite.

The bolded section is interesting to me. What I'm reality convinces you that there is no God? There's a lot in reality that convinces me of the truth of the Scriptures (such as our indwelling desire for justice, or our appeals to objective morality in the event of wrongdoing, or the corruption of the world and our role in that, or the uniformity of nature in our creation that allows us to make repeatable observations concerning it in the first place).

Often I think the quality of discussion on threads like this is rather poor. Why? We never delve into our assumptions and presuppositions.

We simply assert "Yes, there is a God" or "No, it's a fairy tale" without exploring the assumptions behind our positions. That's something I've hinted at in some replies to smacl.

Christianity is an evangelical religion. It requires us to share it with others. It's all over the Bible. So I will prayerfully attempt to share my faith with my friends and neighbours.

That's my freedom in the same way as you can do the opposite.

The discussion and attempted ratification of my opinion, or yours for that matter is of no interest to me. I have heard and read it all before in a variety of different guises, and it bores me at this point. I do not find it stimulating in the slightest, because at its base we are too far apart for their to be any fruitful result.

I do however take umbrage at people using a book that was written by the hands of men to try and make granite claims.

Just because the bible says something doesn't give it some standardised irrefutable level of general acceptance. That's just what you think and believe, and it is part of the reason why I cannot have a meaningful discussion with you.

That's not to say I am offended by you, just that prolonged discussion with you is a waste of my time.

Your faith is your own, not mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The discussion and attempted ratification of my opinion, or yours for that matter is of no interest to me. I have heard and read it all before in a variety of different guises, and it bores me at this point. I do not find it stimulating in the slightest, because at its base we are too far apart for their to be any fruitful result.

I do however take umbrage at people using a book that was written by the hands of men to try and make granite claims.

Just because the bible says something doesn't give it some standardised irrefutable level of general acceptance. That's just what you think and believe, and it is part of the reason why I cannot have a meaningful discussion with you.

That's not to say I am offended by you, just that prolonged discussion with you is a waste of my time.

Your faith is your own, not mine.

I think you're in the wrong forum then having read your post.

Perhaps you should try the gardening or farming fora!! :)

I think you're in the wrong forum then having read your post.

Perhaps you should try the gardening or farming fora!! :)

Agreed.

Perhaps not on the gardening or farming, but my time is better spent elsewhere.

As a parting comment for the OP....

Losing one's faith might seem difficult at first, but having faith is not necessary for everybody to find meaning and happiness in their existence. It might be integral for some people but not all.

All the best OP.

Just saw this thread.
    I have also lost my faith. I just don’t get all this bit about us really being born to be put on trial, which then determines if we go to Heaven or Hell. The reason is that we are told that “God knows all things, He is almighty”. So if he already knows how we’ll live our lives then why the big test? Also why make little kids suffer with cancer, leukemia etc?

It just doesn’t add up.

Don't confuse theology with faith though. Personally, I view the Gospels as a decent philosophy to live by, whether it is handed down from on high or not, but crap that gets added to it, and the interpretation of it, is where most of the problems start.

The bible is God's message to us. Between the old and new testaments it spans 1,500 years. God communicated his message to the 40 authors and it all points towards Jesus coming into this world and dying for our sins. It's the most powerful book ever written and for many people they would simply rather not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,494 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He is a loving God, it's in our best interests to put our trust in God rather than the material possessions of this world. It's never too late to turn back to God. He knows how we will behave, it's ultimately our decision.

I don't think you understand love if you include retribution and punishment to the other person simply for not doing want you demand of them.

If he already knows how we will behave, its not really free will.

If all mankind rejected evil would disease and accidents stop? Would no children or mothers die at childbirth?

I assume you agree that there can be no free will in heaven, as such why bother testing us on free will when it forms no part of our future?

OP, you are a nice person, kind, loving, friendly and caring because of you. Not because of a being that may or may not exist but who is unable to intervene regardless. You were a loving follower and his indifference or inability has led to you being in so much pain and anguish.

He either doesn't care or can't, neither are any use to you.

Any loving God will accept you into his heart, into the kingdom of heaven for the efforts you have made.

If God cannot be to blame for evil, then it stands to reason he cannot be the source of good. If he was the source of your goodness then he has abandoned you, not the other way around.

The bible is God's message to us. Between the old and new testaments it spans 1,500 years. God communicated his message to the 40 authors and it all points towards Jesus coming into this world and dying for our sins. It's the most powerful book ever written and for many people they would simply rather not know.

Which part of the Soddam and Gomorrah story points to Jesus?

Or the flood when god vengefully and without mercy murdered ever living thing on the planet?

Leroy42 wrote: »

Or the flood when god vengefully and without mercy murdered ever living thing on the planet?

When people rejected God and lived sinful lives he rightfully punished them. A new agreement was ultimately required as we have a sinful nature, which eventually led to Jesus paying the fine on our behalf by dying on the cross.

So why not tell them? Why summarily murder them without trial, explanation or a chance to redeem themselves.

And do you honestly believe that everyone, apart from Noah and his family, were evil?

How were those people showed about Jesus? Why are you being given a second chance but not them?

And a new agreement? So the first agreement didn't work, since God designed it all surely that's on him? But now we still have evil so this is yet another failure.

But wait, free will. Why is god getting involved at all? Those people exercised free will and he, as you claim, rightfully punished them. But now people like Hitler get left alone until they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

"The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.

The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.

So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth--men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air--for I am grieved that I have made them."

But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God."

[Noah points directly to Jesus.]

"So when God destroyed the cities of the plain, he remembered Abraham, and he brought Lot out of the catastrophe that overthrew the cities where Lot had lived."

[This deliverance also points directly to Jesus as per the Book of Revelation.]

• Advertisement

I don't think you understand love if you include retribution and punishment to the other person simply for not doing want you demand of them.

If he already knows how we will behave, its not really free will.

If all mankind rejected evil would disease and accidents stop? Would no children or mothers die at childbirth?

I assume you agree that there can be no free will in heaven, as such why bother testing us on free will when it forms no part of our future?

Free will is the ability to choose ourselves. It's not God's responsibility to individually intervene and tell us to do something different as it would alter our individual decisions.

We have already seen in the garden of edan that mankind was tempted by the devil and now future generations live with the consequences. Can you see mankind rejecting evil giving there is so much evil and sin in the world?

Advertisement