Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID for non alcoholic beer

Options
  • 11-09-2019 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I find this one odd, I visited my local lidl this evening and was asked for ID when buying non alcoholic beer it is 0.0% I do look young but buy alcohol all the time without asked for ID. Was your one just having an moody evening or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi,

I find this one odd, I visited my local lidl this evening and was asked for ID when buying non alcoholic beer it is 0.0% I do look young but buy alcohol all the time without asked for ID. Was your one just having an moody evening or what?

They wanted your name to add it to a register of offenders

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They wouldn't sell me white wine vinegar because it was past 10pm in Tesco once.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

They wouldn't sell me white wine vinegar because it was past 10pm in Tesco once.
    😂😂😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This has come up a few times. It contains a very small % of alcohol, so ID is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

This has come up a few times. It contains a very small % of alcohol, so ID is required.

Why it put you over the limit for driving for example?

• Advertisement

Like mouthwash percentage or baileys tiramisu?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many of the new 0.0%s don't. The older products do. Different production methods

Some of the newer 0.0% ares chasing the Arabic market (most other Islamic countries have relatively free access to alcohol despite the religious restrictions) and so have to actually be alcohol free.

There are also very low alcohol but not marketed as "no alcohol" products like Open Gate Pure Brew that are widely enough available which really does cause further confusion.

With something like, say, Erdinginer Alkholfrei - 0.4% - you may die of water intoxication before going over the limit. Most people would need to drink ten or eleven bottles in two hours to get there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

When i was 28 i was id'd in Dunnes buying a vegetable peeler. I didnt have id with me so they wouldnt sell it to me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Aye, the Jack Daniel's bbq sauce is the same, cant be bought after 10pm as it wont scan in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

It’s classed as alcohol here and taxed as much, pubs make the same margin as they do on full strength...shops have a specific entry on tils for any anything alcoholic, so it’s pressed and it could be a bottle of vodka or a 330ml can of Heineken 0.0 and you’ll have the same requirements and licensing laws in terms of sale times and identification .

On the other hand, you can if you are desperate enough buy a full strength litre of listerine at any time that is so potent with ethanol it will not only get you pissed up, it may kill you ar the same time. Go for the green one you’ve 7up about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

When i was 28 i was id'd in Dunnes buying a vegetable peeler. I didnt have id with me so they wouldnt sell it to me.

Dangerous weapon. I got caught up in a mass peeling attack once. Barely got out with my peel intact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 SantiCazorla19

Thought certain soft drinks have a very small percentage of alcohol in them too but yet they can be be sold to under 18s. Also noticed the drink aware logo appear on an ad for Heineken 0.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thought certain soft drinks have a very small percentage of alcohol in them too but yet they can be be sold to under 18s. Also noticed the drink aware logo appear on an ad for Heineken 0.0.

It's 0.01%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Dangerous weapon. I got caught up in a mass peeling attack once. Barely got out with my peel intact.

I was in one too, tore strips off me !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Beer is a soft drink.

Like mouthwash percentage or baileys tiramisu?

Mouthwash has a very high percentage of alcohol.

“For example, original formula Listerine is about 54 proof with 26.9% alcohol, and many of the mint flavored mouthwashes are almost 22% alcohol. The alcohol content of Scope weighs in at 18.9%, and Cepacol at 14%”

That’s not a tiramisu or baileys Hagen Dazs ice cream, that’s a coma after a 5 Euro litre bottle...and before you ask, yes, the seasoned veterans are downing these like no tomorrow. Tesco express 24/7

Beer is a soft drink.

Whoooooaahhhhh....back off fellas. A new Cowboy has rolled into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

They would let me buy a pick & mix after 10 cause it had wine gums in it

Whoooooaahhhhh....back off fellas. A new Cowboy has rolled into town.

Yeeeehaw.

Seriously though, up until recently enough beer was considered foodstuff as it had less that 10% alcohol in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

In Mother Russia beer drinks you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes, Tesco and some supermarkets can be very strict about this. I've seen mincemeat(Christmas), lemsip,etc all be items that required ID!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I tried to buy Non Alcohol Erdinger on Sunday morning in Dunnes and I was refused as it was before 12.30pm..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It’s classed as alcohol here and taxed as much, pubs make the same margin as they do on full strength...

Wrong.
    Under 0.5% isn't legally considered alcohol at all and has no duty or restrictions.
    0.5 to 1.2% is legally beer but carries 0 duty.
    Margins can be very high on n/a beer as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I bought a car battery and 2 litres of antifreeze in Halfords the other day, the guy at the check out asked if I was over 18 (I'm 53).
    I did wonder for a split second if drinking battery acid was the latest thing?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

One thing I noticed in one off license recently is the amount of different brands of non-alcoholic beer in the fridge now. Almost found it hard to find one with alcohol in it :D Surely it isn't something people buy to drink at home? I would have though it was more something you might have in the pub if you were driving....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I was asked for ID in TGI's when I ordered some food that came with the Jack Daniels sauce. I didn't even want the sauce.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dmc17 wrote: »
    One thing I noticed in one off license recently is the amount of different brands of non-alcoholic beer in the fridge now. Almost found it hard to find one with alcohol in it :D Surely it isn't something people buy to drink at home? I would have though it was more something you might have in the pub if you were driving....

BBQ season. Handy to have a few bottles of Erdinger or cans of Nanny State and still be safe to drive home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Even if they could sell it to under 18s, they wouldn't - they don't want to be seen as marketing to kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Some cartons of Orange Juice contain alcohol naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

It's 0.01%

thought it was 0.5%

Advertisement