Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are terrible driving habits on the rise?

• 07-09-2019 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've been driving for 15 years and it seems to be that in the past couple of years I've noticed a marked increase in drivers breaking laws in ever more extreme ways. Here are the things that I see far too often:
    1. Driving through Red Lights - I've really noticed this one explode in recent times. I'm not talking about people speeding up on Orange lights. I'm on about where the light goes Red and fully 1 second later someone will drive through it. It's got to the stage where you need to be careful if you're at the front of the queue when the light goes green for fear that you'll crash into one of these morons when you take off.
      The incident that inspired me to create this thread though was from the other day. I was driving in a 50km zone in the city when a light in front of me turned orange. I had ample time to stop safely so I began to slow down. At that point the driver behind me overtook me and drove through the red light on the opposite side of the road. Madness.

2. Driving through pedestrian crossings when pedestrians are already on them - You see this a lot in shopping centre car-parks. Pedestrian has began walking across and an approaching motorist steers the car to drive over the section of the crossing immediately in front of the pedestrian. On top of being dangerous it's so utterly selfish.
      I saw a middle-age man do this during the week except that the pedestrian (middle aged woman) was too far across already and he didn't have the space to drive through. He realised this too later and jammed on the brakes. Incredibly he then began to abuse the shocked woman from his open window.

3. Overtaking just to drive into someone's braking distance zone. This one is a beauty because not only are they doing something annoying and dangerous but they're taking direct advantage of other drivers diving correctly. Quite often as well it's utterly pointless as there'll be a long line of cars directly ahead.

4. Driving up the inside lane rather than queuing and then cutting back in near the top - standard move of selfish assholes. There's a related motorway move where there's a long queue for an exit and cars will drive slowly in the overtaking lane looking to cut in - all the while creating a massive hazard for cars driving up from behind looking to stay on the motorway.

5. Not using indicators. This one is especially prevalent on round-a-bouts but is probably even more dangerous on motorways. Oddly enough you don't see people drive off main roads onto minor roads without using them as much which leads me to believe that there is a section of drivers who are using them in some circumstances but not in others

6. Driving in the overtaking lane on the motorway when the left-hand lane is clear - Exclusively done by people who refer to this lane as "the fast lane". Often seen with a long train of vehicles behind them as they doggedly drive at or below the speed-limit.

7. After entering a motorway, leaving the right-hand indicator light on while driving in the left-hand lane - Thankfully not too common. This is usually seen with elderly drivers and always makes overtaking them a somewhat perilous experience.

8. Driving too close behind the car in front. - often done by the same drivers guilty of #3. Multi-car pile-ups are a thing because of these clowns.

Honestly I could probably have written another 10 of these. I didn't even mention speeding or parking issues.

I don't believe that there is enough enforcement out there.

Would people be in favour of allowing dash-cam footage from other drivers be used in prosecutions for traffic offences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

9. Driving out at junctions without stopping or looking when turning left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think personally the driving education system is poor and overly focused on just “passing the test” rather than any emphasis on good driving such as lane discipline which enormously impacts driving flows. People’s spacial awareness appears dreadful such as not moving up traffic lights-cab be the difference between 2 or 3 cars not getting through on green and is pure stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Funny you should post this now as I have been amazed at the increase in people running red lights in the past couple of weeks. I'm not talking about the usual dickhead flying through the red just after it changes, it's the 2 or 3 others who follow them through. Madness! Time to have cameras on lights I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

All of the above.
    Stay safe out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

Yes, I know it's not being discussed, however.

If you arrive at the first traffic lights at a junction EXACTLY when they change to amber.
    By the time you reach the far side of the junction the Red light will already be on
    Even though you are proceeding at exactly the speed limit.

If/When that is fixed, then you can prosecute but not before because as it is now it is possible to break the law because of the timing of the amber light.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Irish roads are statistically some of the safest in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Regarding roundabouts and yellow boxes I think a lot of people in Ireland had passed their test and been driving for a while before either became widespread in rural towns in Ireland and these people never found out how to treat either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

The worst part is if you obey the lights then you inevitably get the big sound of the horn for not driving through the red lights.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Regarding roundabouts and yellow boxes I think a lot of people in Ireland had passed their test and been driving for a while before either became widespread in rural towns in Ireland and these people never found out how to treat either of them.

Nope, 22 years ago i did my test and they were as big a part then as they are now.
    Theres too many ignoramuses in a mad hurry to get nowhere in a dangerous way on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Spot on as far and deaths and injuries are concerned. However the points raised by the OP are more to do with a lack of respect to other road users which is rare in Europe. Also I think Irish drivers are more defensive as a result which, in a bizarre way, encourages the idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

65535 wrote: »

If you arrive at the first traffic lights at a junction EXACTLY when they change to amber.
    By the time you reach the far side of the junction the Red light will already be on

If/When that is fixed, then you can prosecute but not before because as it is now it is possible to break the law because of the timing of the amber light.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but the red light cameras would trigger based on going over the stop line when the corresponding light is red. The fact that the far repeater red light could have turned red whilst you were traversing the junction is irrelevant from that point of view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

most of these are the net result of years of not having a proper regime of driving lessons and testing. I'm willing to bet there are thousands driving with or without L plates who have never taken a test. The other day they were discussing on the radio the number of people on their 10th provisional, that's really shocking, they should be off the road after two or even one until they take a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,038 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Blueshoe wrote: »

The improvement was due to the introduction of the motorways and cars getting safer.

Irish road users are getting worse every day. It's not just bad drivers we have bad pedestrians, cyclists and now illegal powered two wheelers. It's due to almost zero enforcement of our legislation and judicial system which encourages Dawin Award contenders by giving them huge payouts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Del2005 wrote: »
    The improvement was due to the introduction of the motorways and cars getting safer.

Irish road users are getting worse every day. It's not just bad drivers we have bad pedestrians, cyclists and now illegal powered two wheelers. It's due to almost zero enforcement of our legislation and judicial system which encourages Dawin Award contenders by giving them huge payouts.

Roads are just busier. Some are in need of upgrade. Road tax has been funneled into Irish water instead of on the road network.

Statistically Irish roads are still some of the safest in Europe though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Another very annoying thing that seems to be increasing is people overtaking and forcing you to move into the hard shoulder on your side so there isn't a collision.

Either poor judgement or ignorance to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

No 1 without a shadow of a doubt I have noticed to be very much on the increase and I cover a wide tract of the country in my daily driving these times. Taxi drivers would seem to be particularly bad offenders I have noticed. However, the remaining 7 items, while they frequently happen I do not see them happening any more frequently than they did 10/ 15 years ago.

I don't fully buy into that. While yes I do agree that there are offenders passed their tests in rural towns some years back or even they are on cowboy licenses I'd wager that the vast majority of offenders passed their tests in relatively more recent times in areas that had both box junctions and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The breaking reds for me is the main one I've noticed.
    All others were common, but a red light breaker was still uncommon.
    Now, it's pretty much a given on so many junctions and as you said not just one, but probably a couple going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

marvin80 wrote: »
    Another very annoying thing that seems to be increasing is people overtaking and forcing you to move into the hard shoulder on your side so there isn't a collision.

I got this the other day. Guy overtakes a bus and encroaches onto my (oncoming) lane, but I've a bus lane to my left.
    I refuse to move as I see a taxi coming behind me, and he stops and gesticulates at the bus as if to tell me 'move over because the bus is there'.
    It's as if some drivers think they've more rights than others.

Yes this happens alot, especially when cars are overtaking cyclists, they could be halfway over on your side and if you don't slow almost to a stop or move into a hard shoulder if there is one then a serious collision could occur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The areas where I live I'd see people breaking red light or accelerating hard on amber the odd time but when I'm in Dublin I see it constantly. Phones is probably the biggest one, people can't even stop in traffic for a minute without having to check their phone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

From what I can see there are two reasons for bad driving habits;

1. Lack of Gardai patrolling the roads means you would have to be very unlucky to be caught doing something stupid. It’s basically a license to drive in any way, shape or form you feel like. Break the speed limit, hog the motorway overtaking lane & run through red lights (or whatever else you wanna do), there’ll probably be no consequences for driving badly.

2. Idiots are always gonna idiot.

If I can I try make room and let them off. No point stressing over them, nothing worse than someone up your arse like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The one that really grinds my gears is people not bothering to slow down sufficiently around bends and instead coming around the bend with their wheels well over the line on the opposite side of the road :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

They dont like stopping full stop. Turning right on a quiet road today had to stop pushing forward to avoid a t boning when I saw a car coming from the right in full conversation with passenger and clearly too fast and not about to bother with their stop sign and line they have. They blasted through oblivious to the insurance pain they've been spared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

In which case, they shouldn't be driving. It's not like the weird roundy things just popped up overnight. Part of being a competent driver is that you continue to learn long after you pass your test. Complacency is one hell of a bad habit, and it affects people of all ages.

[*]Driving up the inside lane rather than queuing and then cutting back in near the top - standard move of selfish assholes. There's a related motorway move where there's a long queue for an exit and cars will drive slowly in the overtaking lane looking to cut in - all the while creating a massive hazard for cars driving up from behind looking to stay on the motorway.

Sitting in one lane with a big queue is very inefficient use of road space, the proper way would be for both lanes to be used and use proper filtering at the top.

I refuse to sit in a bit line of traffic for 10 mins when I can drive in an empty lane and filter in at the top without causing any slowdown. It’s sort of an Irish thing too abroad people tend to use all the road space and filter in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

..... Complacency is one hell of a bad habit,........

I wonder how many of them are doped up ( legal or otherwise ) ?

( back in the good old days it was only drink that they would be taking :pac: )

Motorcyclists are the worst for this, overtaking a long line, i refuse to move to the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’ve heard a lot of people tell me how the Italians are crazy drivers - they’re not
    The Germans are crazy drivers - they’re not.
    The French are crazy drivers - they’re not!

I genuinely think that Irish drivers are, for the vast majority, absolutely clueless! People think that once they pass their test they are above the law. I really, really wish that we had to re-assessed to be allowed to drive at least every 5 years!
    The sense of entitlement on the roads, without any appreciation for what could happen really bugs the sh1t out of me, and I say this as someone who drives many classes of vehicle, and even a bicycle!

• Advertisement

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Motorcyclists are the worst for this, overtaking a long line, i refuse to move to the hard shoulder.

Why refuse to do that? Can’t understand this. If safe to do so just pull in a few feet and late them off. They’re very vulnerable road users but generally excellent at driving and maneuvers

ratracer wrote: »
    I’ve heard a lot of people tell me how the Italians are crazy drivers - they’re not
    The Germans are crazy drivers - they’re not.
    The French are crazy drivers - they’re not!

I genuinely think that Irish drivers are, for the vast majority, absolutely clueless! People think that once they pass their test they are above the law. I really, really wish that we had to re-assessed to be allowed to drive at least every 5 years!
    The sense of entitlement on the roads, without any appreciation for what could happen really bugs the sh1t out of me, and I say this as someone who drives many classes of vehicle, and even a bicycle!

Irish drivers are very tunnel visioned and tend not to act or see much beyond their own box. Lot of them drive accordingly ie defensively rather than pragmatically.
    I find the bunching together on near empty motorways insane. Spread out ffs that’s the whole point of motorway driving! Then as you come up towards them they’ll then decide to pull over into the overtaking lane and overtake the car it two akin to glacial advance. Forcing you to brake and slow down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,463 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've seen a Transit van owned by a semi state 3 times in the last month on the same street the driver is driving on his mobile, what kind of a fooking idiot is he? Big feck off stickering on the side of the vehicle saying who he works for, is he a backward or does he know he is a member of a good union?

I think me going down the route of posting a picture of him on Twitter and linking it to his employer is warranted.

I've seen a Transit van owned by a semi state 3 times in the last month on the same street the driver is driving on his mobile, what kind of a fooking idiot is he? Big feck off stickering on the side of the vehicle saying who he works for, is he a backward or does he know he is a member of a good union?

I think me going down the route of posting a picture of him on Twitter and linking it to his employer is warranted.
    Did this happen n Dublin? If it I think I saw the same guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Ah yeah. All those indiscretions are just the norm now.

A new one is motorists actually hitting people with their cars :) [Okay, I'm overstating the prevalence of it a little bit] but...

Note this, fat idiot in Kinsale with a small red vintage car way too small for you to fit in for a start, you thick old c&€t, stop driving around hitting pedestrians on narrow roads. My hand took a wallop and you drove right off. Thanks for that.

You also looked like a bell-end in a car like that, for the size and age you are.

Tailgating bugs me, and I've decided to be 'that guy' that's an asshole about it. Anytime I'm being tailgated I start to lower the cruise control bit by bit. A small handful of people have copped on and leave a gap, and I start driving normally again. Most just end up getting annoyed.

There's no excuse, nor benefit, for tailgating.

If i want to overtake a car, that's going slower than me, I hold back a bit, so I can 1) see around the car better, for when there's an opportunity to overtake and 2) to build up my speed prior to overtaking, whilst I'm still on the correct side of the road, so my actual overtake is a lot quicker.

I know I sound like a prick, but I just get so annoyed at tailgaters. Maddens me even more when it's not the steretypical bad time keepers that are always somehow in a hurry (bmw/audi drivers) but I get really irritated when it's a feckin' MPV with a load of kids in it. and the driver leaves no space to react whatsoever if I had to stop suddenly. Utter morons.

I also get annoyed by people that drive right up behind a bus or truck and sit on it's bumper, and then if there's a hard shoulder and the truck moves in, the tailgater, instead of taking the 'handed-on-a-plate' overtaking opportunity, instead opts to fcuking slow down and leave a gap between them and the bus/truck in front. You useless waste of space. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    From what I can see there are two reasons for bad driving habits;

1. Lack of Gardai patrolling the roads means you would have to be very unlucky to be caught doing something stupid. It’s basically a license to drive in any way, shape or form you feel like. Break the speed limit, hog the motorway overtaking lane & run through red lights (or whatever else you wanna do), there’ll probably be no consequences for driving badly.

2. Idiots are always gonna idiot.

Solid point. You have to trust humans here. But you just can't really.

As Super Hans said in Peep Show, "People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people". :)

The enforcement you mention should be essential. Check out the junction at the Elysian in Cork on a daily basis. Laughable. Donkeys driving wherever they like. You'd nearly have to wait for your green pedestrian man to flash/go yellow before you think it's safe to cross.

Anyway, it's more a societal thing in general I'd say. Everyone seems to be a bit short-fused, harried, impatient and a general c€&t these days.

Me me me society.

Oh, and while I'm here and complaining, what is with people, usually pensioners or Micra drivers, that on an N road or motorway, stop in the hard shoulder, and then when they want to take off again, they go straight into the driving lane, so they are effectively parked in a live lane of the road, as they fumble to get their under powered car up enough speed to shift into second gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

i've noticed a lot of young female drivers tailgating recently. Are the Ladies getting more like the fellers? Especially hate it when they've no chance of getting past me as I've about 10 cars in front of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I used to think thats its the Irish/Ango/US style of teaching how to drive. Its a bit haphazard compared to say the German approach and I still have very little doubt that by learning how to drive from your dad we're basically just passing on bad driving habits to the next generation.

But living here and driving regularly on the continent I dont think the Irish driver is particularly bad. I think ignorance and selfishness are on the rise everywhere. No indicators, red lights, total ignorance of pedestrians or cyclists rights, reckless and selfish manoeuvres in general, bullying, get out of me way, you're holding me up. Its increasing everywhere I feel. Any action that drivers dont connect directly to their own safety but is for the benefit of others - prime example indicators - seems optional.

In a way knowing you should expect the worst from anyone is almost making the roads safer here.

A really dangerous one - and people think they're doing a nice thing - is stopping out of nowhere for kids or mums to let them over the road. Slamming the brakes cos they're is a pram or a group of schoolkids by the side of the road. Its so dangerous. You're giving them a pass to cross and you mean well but are you sure everyone around got the memo too and won't just go right through them on the outer lane??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Oh, and while I'm here and complaining, what is with people, usually pensioners or Micra drivers, that on an N road or motorway, stop in the hard shoulder, and then when they want to take off again, they go straight into the driving lane, so they are effectively parked in a live lane of the road, as they fumble to get their under powered car up enough speed to shift into second gear.

That very thing caused a major accident and at least one death I think on the M7 relatively recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

1. Cars approaching roundabouts and exiting roundabouts.

2. Yellow boxes, people just stop on them.

3. Driving on motorways. Hogging the overtaking lane at 80kph. Vehicles who don't use indicators and just drift into lanes.

4. Driving in bus lanes...deserve everything you get. Thankfully the Garda are clamping down on this. N4 approaching the M50, N81 just at Shamrock Rovers.

5. Tools on their phones. I've seen a people carrier that has the name of the creche all over it, full of kids and the driver on the phone. I rang the creche and informed them that the driver was on the phone with a car full of kids and heard nothing back.

6. People crossing the road in full flow of traffic, some with small kids and buggies and a pedestrian crossing 10mtrs away!!

Dashcam. If I capture an issue on the Dashcam can I go to the garda with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,463 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

jk23 wrote: »
    Did this happen n Dublin? If it I think I saw the same guy

Yes Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Duckjob wrote: »
    The one that really grinds my gears is people not bothering to slow down sufficiently around bends and instead coming around the bend with their wheels well over the line on the opposite side of the road :mad:

What’s strange about this is that it’s your natural human instinct to put your foot on the brake when you can’t see what’s around the corner.
    Drivers who don’t slow down on a bend are disobeying their own instinct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

I agree with all the OP’s post.

Motorway driving is appalling bad, and it’s gotten worse. Lines of cars in the overtaking lane doing 110-120while the left hand lane is completely empty.
    Drivers policing the speed in the overtaking lane @ 120 and will not under any circumstances pull in after overtaking. I see this behavior regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

One of the solutions to this is mandatory 5 or 10 year “retests”.

Hopefully it would also have the added benefit if taking drivers whom are too old out of the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

65535 wrote: »

Timing of how long the Amber takes has nothing to do with it. In countries and cities that have red light cameras you only get done if you proceed into the junction after the light has already turned red, and not if you exit the junction on red.

The amount of difkheads around the place now who think it’s on to carry on through 4 or 5 seconds after the light has turned red is unbelievable. I was driving up towards phibsboro’ from town yesterday and at one light (red) three of us had stopped in the main lane and a few seconds later some prick comes flying up the bus lane (during bus lane hours) and goes through the red light doung 70-80kph. A c*nt like that deserves to be done for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

My 2 to add to the growing list:

1. There's a country road junction not far from my house and the amount of idiots that turn left without stopping or looking onto the main road is shocking. How long do those idiots think they would have to wait before pulling out, seconds at the most?

2. And the latest craze is fools using DRL's as lights for driving at night. No rear lights on cars as they fly around and I have no clue what they can see out the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Phones are the biggest distraction in my opinion and are the most lethal thing on roads at the moment.

I drove on a Lerner permit for years and decided to take my test when I heard the gentleman speaking about Clancy’s Law. I was shocked by the amount of people texting and using their phones while driving, sitting in traffic, approaching lights. I felt because I wasn’t legally on the road I was in no position to judge them as I wasn’t legal.

It really is a huge issue and I don’t understand why the RSA isn’t clamping down on it. I’ve seen people driving articulated trucks, buses, cars approaching pedestrian crossing and all buried in their phones. I called in a car who I felt was drink driving recently, the car was swerving all over the road and I felt driver was going to kill someone.....when I overtook her she was looking at a screen!

Another time I drove for 20kms and a man was openly using Facebook on his phone while it was mounted on windscreen. During rush hour traffic just scrolling none stop....he had a baby seat in the back of car:(

My child and I were crossing at lights, a girl texting just sailed through when we were crossing, she didn’t even see the red light or us. People fly through pedestrian crossings and lights completely distracted by phones.

I’ve started to teach my kids not to automatically cross on green, that they need to look both ways for cars to stop, same at pedestrian crossings. People just can’t put their phones away. Even in traffic people should be observing what is going on around them particularly for young kids.

A zero tolerance approach is needed to phones and driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Re OP, I don't think Irish drivers are much better or worse overall over many years. Habits do change though for various reasons e.g. drivers yapping away on the mobile in one hand whilst steering sometimes a truck with the other. The other big change I note is the seeming inability or unwillingness to reverse park. Sometimes this is dictated by those that design parking bays but regardless inevitably you have people edging back out into the traffic flow without having much of a clue if it's safe to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Drivers with earphones in.

How do they expect to hear a car horn or the emergency services?

• Advertisement
Advertisement