Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter is coming for RTE - Dee Forbes hints at a bleak future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Instead of repeats show cat videos if it works on youtube then why not?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭political analyst

salmocab wrote: »
    I’m sure they claim that but ultimately it all goes into and out of the same pot.

Any evidence to contradict what they claim?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

KB22, straight 48 hour ban for discussing moderation on thread. Regard has been had to the tone of the post when deciding to give a straight ban instead of a warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Tefral

NIMAN wrote: »
    Rte is like the ESB, a place with absolutely crazy average salaries across the board.

Except the esb has paid 1.4bn dividend to the government in the last 10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,971 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tefral wrote: »
    Except the esb pays a multi hundred million euro dividend to the government every year.

.. and also the ESB do a decent enough job.
    But they do have very high wages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

K I've read through the replies, taken all suggestions on board, and I've decided that the best thing to do is to increase the licence fee.
    Warm regards,
    RTE.

ps this report cost u 200k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,666 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTE are pretty much no different than VM except VM don't force a tax on us for it.
    Lots of imported shows, lots of repeated shows (actually I don't think VM show repeats as much as RTE), lots of "keep it in the family" reality shows

RTE is not fit for purpose as a national broadcaster. Bar the odd program which probably represents a tiny fraction of their spending budget they do nothing that cannot be consumed elsewhere.
    Their target audience is 60+ years old and that cohort of viewers is diminishing every year.

A portion of the TV licence should be given to VM with the remit of national programming - you would probably get far higher quality shows for a fraction of what RTE would spend
    RTE have lost the run of themselves and being publicly reprimanded for not buying a licence (legitimately) by someone on over 6k a week is a bit reprehensible.

I really hope this comes to a head as RTE have had an uncontested run for far too many years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

fritzelly wrote: »
    RTE are pretty much no different than VM except VM don't force a tax on us for it.
    Lots of imported shows, lots of repeated shows (actually I don't think VM show repeats as much as RTE), lots of "keep it in the family" reality shows

RTE is not fit for purpose as a national broadcaster. Bar the odd program which probably represents a tiny fraction of their spending budget they do nothing that cannot be consumed elsewhere.
    Their target audience is 60+ years old and that cohort of viewers is diminishing every year.

A portion of the TV licence should be given to VM with the remit of national programming - you would probably get far higher quality shows for a fraction of what RTE would spend
    RTE have lost the run of themselves and being publicly reprimanded for not buying a licence (legitimately) by someone on over 6k a week is a bit reprehensible.

I really hope this comes to a head as RTE have had an uncontested run for far too many years

[DRUNK RANT]
    I barely consume any media funded by the license fee, and I resent the new charges being introduced for any and all screens in a household. Why not just tax me for having eyeballs? I already pay a subscription fee to Sky (for my mother) to watch RTE, and there's no way I could access RTE through Saorview where I live, so why should I have to pay for RTE again? Even their news programmes are rubbish, but their intended audience are the over 65s who don't use the internet for news already, and are happy to watch biased, watered down, government-approved half-truths after the Angelus every day.
    [/DRUNK RANT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

[DRUNK RANT]
    I barely consume any media funded by the license fee, and I resent the new charges being introduced for any and all screens in a household. Why not just tax me for having eyeballs? I already pay a subscription fee to Sky (for my mother) to watch RTE, and there's no way I could access RTE through Saorview where I live, so why should I have to pay for RTE again? Even their news programmes are rubbish, but their intended audience are the over 65s who don't use the internet for news already, and are happy to watch biased, watered down, government-approved half-truths after the Angelus every day.
    [/DRUNK RANT]

Impressive summation for a drunken rant to be fair.

Just to add
    Saorview - what a waste of potential, controlled by RTE!
    Yeah great we have RTE in HD, VM in crap-o-vision
    Going on years and all the promises of next gen digitial TV but we still just have the same old stuff
    Should have been fully taken over as a state enterprise once it was realised it was never gonna be anything other than a bandwagon for RTE
    Could have arranged licensing for many other stations to go on it but nooooo Rte may lose more advertising (as if that isn't already happening)

What is the point of a state of the art digital system when you only have a few channels using it?
    Another example of RTE controlling media in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What did Dee expect? Salaries are grossly inflated. Paying Marian Finucane over €300,000 per annum for 4 hours of hair salon gossip weekly indicates a loose grip on reality.

The salaries aren't the only thing. It's a closed shop of delusional upper middle class nepotists who genuinely think they're putting out A-grade content while single handedly keeping the country entertained.

The whole thing is a farce and should be disbanded in aid of private networks with the BAI enforcing a code of conduct re. impartiality to prevent an Irish reiteration of the O'Reilly Factor, and a PSO style subsidy for areas worthy of such assistance.

Marian's pontifications, and such like, are not that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Contractors on a tax dodge and we are paying their wages through the license.
    Refuse to pay? Go to jail

North Korea style

So you are praising Virgin Media? Seriously?

From what I can see it basically shows what is on the ITV channels, which most Irish people can get anyway.
    The odd self-made program too, but not necessarily better quality than what RTE are making.

From what I can see it basically shows what is on the ITV channels, which most Irish people can get anyway.
    The odd self-made program too, but not necessarily better quality than what RTE are making.

€160 a year cheaper though.

What exactly do rte show? Imported programs or irish versions of UK programs repeated to the point the tape is worn out but we're paying for that crap. Reeling in the years has been repeated so much its beyond being funny now, a program shown at semi peak time

What exactly do rte show? Imported programs or irish versions of UK programs repeated to the point the tape is worn out but we're paying for that crap. Reeling in the years has been repeated so much its beyond being funny now, a program shown at semi peak time

How dare you forget about our Lord and Saviour Dermot Bannon. Excommunication for you.

RTE need one of those guys you see in films, Clooney played one.

Doesn't know anyone in RTe, outsider. Comes in and asks everyone what they do..

Then culls hundreds of them!

Anyone know if RTE employee's still number approx 1800?

About a 1000 registered employees, plus the "contracted"

VM around a 100 full time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Should be subscription service derived through consent.

Let's ditch this wicked fee imposed under threat of fine and imprisonment....

I'd probably pay 5 to7 EU a month for core rte channels and programming.

RTE need one of those guys you see in films, Clooney played one.

Doesn't know anyone in RTe, outsider. Comes in and asks everyone what they do..

Then culls hundreds of them!

Anyone know if RTE employee's still number approx 1800?

Sounds like Drew Harris :pac:

• Advertisement

Dee would have an heart attack about that, someones got to pay her wage and that won't cut it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

No it shouldn't. Its a private company.

TV3 as it was previously known cost the taxpayer a shít load of money despite being owned at the time by a private investment company. They had 81 million in loans written off, and the same private investment company even bought other loans of 60 million back at a considerable discount from IBRC.

And by the way, VM already have public service like national programming responsibilities, although you could be forgiven for believing they don't given the quality of their programming . Its part of the licence to broadcast in the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

.. and also the ESB do a decent enough job.
    But they do have very high wages.

Unlike the electricity network RTE are non-essential. RTE can be switched off and shut down right now and aside from the employees and the vested interests such as the NUJ nobody will much care.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Just to add
    Saorview - what a waste of potential, controlled by RTE!
    Yeah great we have RTE in HD, VM in crap-o-vision
    Going on years and all the promises of next gen digitial TV but we still just have the same old stuff
    Should have been fully taken over as a state enterprise once it was realised it was never gonna be anything other than a bandwagon for RTE
    Could have arranged licensing for many other stations to go on it but nooooo Rte may lose more advertising (as if that isn't already happening)

What is the point of a state of the art digital system when you only have a few channels using it?
    Another example of RTE controlling media in Ireland.

RTE asked to have stations other than +1's on Saorview and were refused by the Government .

Comeg won't force minimum technical requirements on VM such as HD even though VM pay less for 3 channels than they used to for 1 channel on Analogue. They allowed TV3 to ignore transmission coverage limits pre Saorview

Comreg control the fees charged for Saorview not RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Do you have a source for that?

My understanding was that the pricing model that was proposed by RTE and approved by ComReg charges based on bandwidth.

All the stations don't want to double their Saorview costs by adding plus ones as there is only a marginal revenue gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/love-islands-greg-oshea-addresses-amber-split-rumours-and-lands-himself-2fm-breakfast-show-gig-38474369.html

Where do you even start with this one? McDermott filming in Fiji (no doubt at our expense) is a good place, followed by the “major star potential” of a Love Islsnd “Star”, then Garrihy’s constant promotion by RTÉ despite any evidence of talent - oh but she has 20,000 pinterestasnapgram followers.:rolleyes:

dubrov wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that? My understanding was that the pricing model that was proposed by RTE and approved by ComReg charges based on bandwidth.

Yes , it charges on bandwidth but it charges on that basis based on instructions from Comreg Eg Comreg said we won't do calculations ,told RTE to work out details on price .said we'll check your Maths to make sure you're not giving yourselves an advantage and then put that into action
    All the stations don't want to double their Saorview costs by adding plus ones as there is only a marginal revenue gain.

Due to the perverse way bandwidth charging works it wouldn't double charges necessarily to even go HD

Though I was actually talking about RTE+1 etc

The TV group that opposed another channel being allowed on Saorview was TV3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

SPDUB wrote:
    The TV group that opposed another channel being allowed on Saorview was TV3

Yes but do you have a source for what exactly Rte were requesting and why they were blocked?

It's not like RTE to usually offer more services to consumers unless there is a Euro in it for them or they damage rivals

dubrov wrote: »
    Yes but do you have a source for what exactly Rte were requesting and why they were blocked?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71827812&postcount=9

More channels can be provided on the DTT service than on analogue. In this context, RTɒs proposed new TV channels for the DTT service, comprising RTNews Now (a 24 hour news channel), RTTwo HD Select (a high definition version of RTE Two), RTPlus (a time shifted version of peak time RTE One), RTr (a daytime children’s channel), and RTAertel Digital (a digital version of the current teletext service). A full consultation on the public value of these channels was launched in late 2010 and the BAI conducted a sectoral impact assessment of the channels. The Minister’s decision was announced at end-February 2011.

RTE plus would have been RTE1 and 2 and archive programmes .
    News now more like News 24/Sky News

As to why they were turned down exactly ? Ask the Minister .
    It's not like RTE to usually offer more services to consumers unless there is a Euro in it for them or they damage rivals

That's true of any organisation . The BBC didn't launch News 24 out of the goodness of their hearts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Id love to see a comprehensive audit on what those 1000 empoyees do, and what contractors are responsible for.
    I honestly unplugged the sky box about 2 years ago and i havent switched on saorview box in maybe 18 months, sorry but RTE is utter ****e, whats not a carbon copy of a UK show is generally so badly produced that people only tune in out of habit.
    Miserable talkshows ramming mediocre guests and wannabes down your throat for a few hours every weekend.
    Tried using the player to watch matches and a few things and no need to talk about the quality of that.
    Ive no idea how this new liscense being talked about will work but i have no interest in throwing more money at RTE unless their are big changes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement