Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you give a foreigner the skinny on Ireland?

Options
  • 30-08-2019 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Savage Eye does a good job but needs context.

Ancient history, Christianity and St. Patrick, Vikings, Normans, “more Irish than Irish themselves”, True British conquest, Famine, rebellion, GAA, war of independence, dominance of Catholic Church, emigration, Irish America, agriculture, EEC membership, Commitments, Italia 90, Celtic tiger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Tribunals, Irish water, Children's hospital, whistle blowers....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We don't use 'the skinny' when talking is my first point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

If you need anything quick, just get urself a brown envelope and fill it full of money and give it to them.

*Irish economics

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Rain, rain, relaxed attitude, rain, no dangerous animals, rain, rain, very cynical, rain, friendly bunch, rain, rain, best butter in the world. Rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Suss out who everyone is slagging. Nod and laugh, but not any louder than anyone else. Tell them that’s funny but don’t slag them until you trust the group. This could take a few weeks.

Everything else sorts itself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We love a good murder trial and Tayto!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Small towns people similar to the tribes of the Amazon they don't like people moving in from other areas,

Also is some towns if you are already a local and you set up a shop; then the locals wont use your services atall because they don't want to see you doing well.

From experience your best to know about the GAA more than Irish history, it really helps to integrate to anywhere outside of Dublin
    And drop in the phrases "Buddy" and "How are you big man"
    As much as possible to be accepted in groups
    Rats & snakes are very common in Ireland but on two legs the nicer they are to you within a short period of knowing you; then the more there likely to shaft ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What's a skinny? Some kind of Mickey?

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't give anybody 'the skinny' as I don't know what 'the skinny' is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

"Be grand"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Think it's an STD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s a bit more than the inside, but less than the straight dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

There is no such thing as political corruption in this state, it's all in the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

Savage Eye does a good job but needs context.

Ancient history, Christianity and St. Patrick, Vikings, Normans, “more Irish than Irish themselves”, True British conquest, Famine, rebellion, GAA, war of independence, dominance of Catholic Church, emigration, Irish America, agriculture, EEC membership, Commitments, Italia 90, Celtic tiger

Is the idea of this to condense the full stupidity of boards into a single thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The food is far far better than the reputation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

a Multicultural homosexual hell hole! London with an irish accent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Dave McSavage is a cun7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

And you reminded me, Land o' begrudgery and anger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

We're all inbred, freckled, cross eyed leprechaun descendants.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Rampant corruption, either talk to Joe or your local TD and you will jump the Q in whatever you are looking for, meanwhile those in the Q will have to wait while people are bumped up the list.

If you worked every day from the age you were 18 up to 25 you would be 5 times less likely to have a place you live in on your own than someone who sat on their hole and didn't work for a single day for those 7 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Tell this foreigner to stay off guiness and chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

888.jpg
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    We don't use 'the skinny' when talking is my first point...

Is reacting with obtuse bewilderment at unfamiliar moderen (sic) phrases (rather than having a bit of curiosity and taking two seconds to Google them) an exclusively Irish thing? Or is that sort of boring, incurious curmudgeonly act just something that happens when you reach a certain age, regardless of where you're from?

Tell this foreigner to stay off Guiness and spuds.Chips I mean.
    And of course the full Irish.

888.jpg

Is reacting with obtuse bewilderment at unfamiliar moderen (sic) phrases (rather than having a bit of curiosity and taking two seconds to Google them) an exclusively Irish thing? Or is that sort of boring, incurious curmudgeonly act just something that happens when you reach a certain age, regardless of where you're from?

WoW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Nice place to visit but living here is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

LenWoods wrote: »
    Small towns people similar to the tribes of the Amazon they don't like people moving in from other areas,

Also is some towns if you are already a local and you set up a shop; then the locals wont use your services atall because they don't want to see you doing well.

From experience your best to know about the GAA more than Irish history, it really helps to integrate to anywhere outside of Dublin
    And drop in the phrases "Buddy" and "How are you big man"
    As much as possible to be accepted in groups
    Rats & snakes are very common in Ireland but on two legs the nicer they are to you within a short period of knowing you; then the more there likely to shaft ya

I have lived or worked in more than one small town but cannot relate to that.

The only time I ever used "Buddy" was to call a dog I used to own (called Buddy).
    I have never called anyone "big man".
    I don't play GAA, gave up at under 10's, have ZERO interest in any of the GAA games. Same goes for soccer (which causes way more comments), and rugby.
    Met plenty of snakes, they are all over, Cities, towns, and villages in Ireland, England, France, Germany, US, China. All over.

In my experience people (in general) tend to treat you how you treat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

You need to travel more.. You also need to look at a calendar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Rampant corruption, either talk to Joe or your local TD and you will jump the Q in whatever you are looking for, meanwhile those in the Q will have to wait while people are bumped up the list.

If you worked every day from the age you were 18 up to 25 you would be 5 times less likely to have a place you live in on your own than someone who sat on their hole and didn't work for a single day for those 7 years.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

its a worse place to live than some countries but better than most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

We love a good murder trial and Tayto!
    The Irish love Meanies and Chickatees too...well, the children do anyway...

(Too soon?)

Advertisement