Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern technology which is shït.

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

IOT, ha look at the teenager the other day, her mother had confiscated her phone, she texted using the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Smart TVs that take 30 seconds to turn on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Microsoft Word

With every iteration it becomes more and more overloaded with functions that nobody ever needs or even understands.

Woe betide if you press one wrong button by accident or want to insert something on purpose...your previously semi-decent looking document will be disfigured forever.

There should be two versions of Word in every office package...one for simpletons and one for experts..and never the twain should meet.

Or just use open office.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

On every winter commute, I see one or two cars driving on DRLs in the dark, with no back lights. I've had a word with a few of the drivers, and generally, they have no clue about what DRLs are or how they work.

This throws up a bigger issue about people getting new cars and not really knowing how to operate lights, DRLs or fog lights or other controls beyond the basics. There really should be some kind of mandatory training with a new car to ensure the drivers know how to drive safely.

always have the sidelight setting on my car means drls and rear lights on all the time annoys the hell out of me that people dont realise or care there rear lights arent on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah I was just thinking it was a long time between the first automobile appearing and them becoming mainstream.

Well there's a famous photo of the same street in new York 5 years or so apart. In one, few cars (one electric!) But mostly horses. In the other, flooded with cars. So while the distance between first and all can be large, once they are competitive with the alternative, change happens over night.

If EVs were cheaper than petrol and diesel, we'd all shift overnight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

leex wrote: »
    Electric hand brakes in cars.

They save about 3.5kg of weight though apparently and auto hold is great

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It was 10 gap, once any tech/trend reaches a, tipping point, the move comes quick. Predicting the tipping point is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

They save about 3.5kg of weight though apparently and auto hold is great

Ideal for fat bastards who can't do a hill start.

Ideal for fat bastards who can't do a hill start.

Or for people who like the considerable improvement in driving comfort from it. Hill hold and the automatic handbrake are both great features, hill hold in particular.

It’s funny how people want to resist these very obvious improvements in driving features.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Or for people who like the considerable improvement reduction in driving comfort from it skill required. Hill hold and the automatic handbrake are both great features, hill hold in particular.

It’s funny how people who can drive want to resist these very obvious unnecessary improvements complications in driving features.

FTFY

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I prefer old school driving on a personal level, but given how often I'm behind someone, usually some woman of excessive blonde in a 4X4, on an incline who starts to drift ever so slowly backward until I blast them with the horn(missus!) then I welcome auto handbrakes and hill hold. I would reckon about a quarter of drivers shouldn't be let near anything above a pedal car so any improvement on the part of cars to make up for the imbeciles is a good thing. Same goes for traction control, ABS, parking aids and the like.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

A lot of the sensors in cars these days like for example the one that tells you when you've run out of windscreen washer - ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Turnrew

Electric showers wtf like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

marvin80 wrote: »
    A lot of the sensors in cars these days like for example the one that tells you when you've run out of windscreen washer - ridiculous.
    I'd agree M, but again back to the imbeciles argument. Plus drivers are far more removed from the mechanical basics of cars today when compared to say 30 years ago. For reasons like technology meaning cars tend to be less understandable to the average person, many on leases/PCPs so the only one who sees under the bonnet is a mechanic and people being time poor. So you have to have more idiot lights on the dashboard or people would just plough on driving even with the car in an unsafe state.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

peasant wrote: »
    Microsoft Word

With every iteration it becomes more and more overloaded with functions that nobody ever needs or even understands.

Woe betide if you press one wrong button by accident or want to insert something on purpose...your previously semi-decent looking document will be disfigured forever.

There should be two versions of Word in every office package...one for simpletons and one for experts..and never the twain should meet.

Or just use open office.
    Somehow i always manage to switch on 'track changes' and can never fcuking get it switch off then.

Stupid fcuking dickwad program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Somehow i always manage to switch on 'track changes' and can never fcuking get it switch off then.

Stupid fcuking dickwad program.
    This, or somehow hiding or ending up having the document summary in a floating window( usually randomly happens when I restart word) and having to read online how to set it back. Same happens with icons disappearing for no good reason.
    Word is an awful POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Why don’t you poindexters use the undo button in Word?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Why don’t you poindexters use the undo button in Word?

The undo button does not appear to work on certain functions.

Fcuking Einstein over here. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The reason people struggle with word is through don’t understand how to use it correctly. I have have used word a lot and written very large documents with no issue as I put in the time to lean how to use it properly and it works very well.

Stuff like not understanding how to use track changes shows not even the most basic understanding of the software is present.

I use pages mostly now as Im a Mac user and it suits me better for collaborating also. It is also a nice piece of software with some advantages and some disadvantages over word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Unnecessary, probably. But sh*t? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The reason people struggle with word is through don’t understand how to use it correctly. I have have used word a lot and written very large documents with no issue as I put in the time to lean how to use it properly and it works very well.

Stuff like not understanding how to use track changes shows not even the most basic understanding of the software is present.

I use pages mostly now as Im a Mac user and it suits me better for collaborating also. It is also a nice piece of software with some advantages and some disadvantages over word.

You appear to have used an Apple Newton to type that.

That must be it, unfortunately ive only using it for 20+ years.

2003 version is excellent, the latest version is horrific.
    Last large document I created a few months ago, 200 plus pages long and it kept reformatting my headings adding autonumbering that I did not want and subsequently crashing any time the ToC was updated.

On the subject of **** things, Outlook 365 and specifically its search function. The team at M$ should be fired or sent on a basic course of what a search function is.
    If I search my emails for "test" I don't need all emails ever to be returned along with those containing "test" to be highlighted in yellow.

If I search Google for Ireland does it mean the whole Web should be returned but the first instance of result containing "Ireland" is in search result page 4057942 but conviently highlighted in yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

peasant wrote: »

Or just use open office.

thats gone to sh1t too...is there a third option?

fryup wrote: »
    thats gone to sh1t too...is there a third option?
    LibreOffice - the spinoff of OpenOffice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There should be a basic version of office ,
    for the casual user,
    most of the functions or menu items are designed for business user,s ,
    who may want to print out books and 1000,s of documents .
    office and the ms Office pro for the business user .
    maybe make basic office free with every windows pc,
    with an option to download the pro version if you need it.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-word-processors-1356338

I was buying a new pc,in Pcword i was asked do you want to buy MS office, i said no,
    I Just use note pad ,its installed on every windows pc.
    And every pc or tablet can read a txt file .
    i think word pad is installed on every pc,
    which is pretty easy to use .
    I dont have windows 10, so i dont know what apps it has on the standard pc .
    I bought a new chromebook in in 2018
    it runs chrome os, and runs android apps,
    i find it very easy to use ,
    And its very secure ,there,s not much chance of getting malware or a virus on a chromebook.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On the old VW Beetles you used the spare tyre to pressurise the washer. No motor.

And on other cars back even mad money then and now early 60's Ferrari's there was a button on the floor beside the clutch pedal that you pressed repeatedly to physically pump the washer fluid onto the window with about as much force as pensioners wee.

One thing has changed for the worst in some respects is car comfort in the suspension. Big wheels, low profile tyres, heavier cars because of added (and welcome) safety features and suspension setups to get the best times around the Nurburgring cos that sells have made a lot of cars much stiffer. A while back I was reading a car road test of a vintage 1964 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso and the guy noted that he lost the camera car that was following him(some M spec BMW IIRC) when he went down some more pothole rough roads. While the camera car driver was taking things very gingerly, Ferrari boyo barely noticed the roughness and even put the foot down. And that was a car when new was the fastest car you could buy. 6 odd seconds to 60 Mph and 150 odd Mph at the top end and will still cruise at 120 MPH all the day long happy out. If you ever get the chance to drive, even travel in a vintage Citroen DS with its fluid suspension, my god the comfort is bloody unreal. You could nearly balance coins on the dashboard driving across a ploughed field. Much of it because road surfaces were worse in the past. In 60's Europe many roads were still unpaved. That and people wanted comfort as well as speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Advertisement