Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regional accents on the airwaves.

• 09-08-2019 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭

Can't think of any that isn't Dublin or fairly neutral on our national broadcasters.
    Where is all the Cork, Limerick or Midland speak?

Comments

"D4" is an all-conquering menace destined to be the new neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

We're all culchies here in the Midlands but it's a lovely accent if you can keep up with the lingo and speed of conversation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I completely agree with you OP that only those accents should be allowed on air, and they should be the official received pronunciation of the state.

But unfortunately this is not the case, as attested by RTE's GAA coverage.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i cant take miriam o callaghans accent on radio. there is something so annoying about it makes me switch off.
    joe duffys dublin accent is like nails through whats left of my brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's a lot of snobbery about accents. Regional radio is your best bet, you won't be hearing any on OrrrrrrTE, they seem to have an issyou with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

i cant take miriam o callaghans accent on radio. there is something so annoying about it makes me switch off.
    joe duffys dublin accent is like nails through whats left of my brain.

You should probably complain to someone about that... Liveline?

Sorry couldn't resist :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

One of the weather presenters has a very strong accent. I think John Creedon's accent is fairly pronounced. Daithi O'Shea is near incomprehensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Never understood what it is with radio DJs deciding it necessary to put on fake American accents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

The fake American accent is taking over and must be stopped goys

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

kneemos wrote: »
    Can't think of any that isn't Dublin or fairly neutral on our national broadcasters.
    Most accents I've heard are neutral but I've also heard non-neutral accents from all over the country (Ciaran Mullooly, Teresa Mannion, John Creedon, Joe Duffy etc). Anyway, I'd be far more interested in what someone is saying rather than in what accent he/she is saying it.
    fmpisces wrote: »
    We're all culchies here in the Midlands but it's a lovely accent if you can keep up with the lingo and speed of conversation :D
    Ah no, a good portion of my relatives live in the Midlands and that's not how I'd describe them or how they'd describe themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Think only sports ,gaa presenters are allowed to have a regional accent,
    on dublin radio,
    every one has a neutral accent except joe duffy.
    someone with a strong cork or kerry accent won,t get a job working
    for 104 or 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Bring it back to the days of all Irish media sounding English. Tally ho chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Vita nova wrote: »
    Most accents I've heard are neutral but I've also heard non-neutral accents from all over the country (Ciaran Mullooly, Teresa Mannion, John Creedon, Joe Duffy etc). Anyway, I'd be far more interested in what someone is saying rather than in what accent he/she is saying it.

Ah no, a good portion of my relatives live in the Midlands and that's not how I'd describe them or how they'd describe themselves.

How has Teresa mannion anything other than a neutral accent?, you can have a middle class accent and be from anywhere, ciaran mulooley also has a pretty neutral accent, as does John creedon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    How has Teresa mannion anything other than a neutral accent?, you can have a middle class accent and be from anywhere, ciaran mulooley also has a pretty neutral accent, as does John creedon

Ciarán Mulooley has a fairly strong accent I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Plastic Sheeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Not only are there barely any "regional" accents on RTE but there's barely any acknowledgment to be seen of life outside The Pale of note, apart from GAA coverage and Ear To The Ground.

The entire service seems to be dedicated to the denizens of Donnybrook or the capital's fascination with her own postcodes and municipal districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

The bloody worst are those effing AA Roadwatch presenters - I heard one talk about delays around Bisherstyne... It took a few seconds for me to realise she was in fact referring to Booterstown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭monseiur

The one who stood in for Mary Wilson on 5 / 7 Live on RTE One radio last month had an unbearable accent, just could not listen to her and didn't hang around to catch her name, switched over to Newstalk.
    Mary is back now so all is well:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Tony Kehoe South East Radio.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1870503409667534&id=106573516060541&_rdr

Who knows what they're saying half the time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

OP doesn’t listen to Newstalk sports programmes. Some awful accents on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Hoi, Oim Raychull Ollun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

monseiur wrote: »
    The one who stood in for Mary Wilson on 5 / 7 Live on RTE One radio last month had an unbearable accent, just could not listen to her and didn't hang around to catch her name, switched over to Newstalk.
    Mary is back now so all is well:)

Except that Mary can't get through two sentences without making an awkward cock-up. She's not fit to be behind a mic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Plastic Sheeting?

PVC coating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

kneemos wrote: »

RTE probably can't afford to transcribe subtitles with the salaries they have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You probably have to listen to radio outside Dublin

Willie Hegarty of Roscommon on Shannonside is pretty famous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Limerick, back in the day, had John 'The Man' Frawley...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The fake American accent is taking over and must be stopped goys

Totes.

Advertisement