Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you have met/chat with

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I tried to engage in small talk with David Mitchell (Jimmy Doyle in Fair City) at the Urinal in a Finglas pub circa 1997.

He kind of grunted at me, farted and left without washing his hands.

True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Many over the years who were famous in the field I'm involved in.

A few sports and entertainment people - in so far as I spoke to was introduced to briefly.

Long term, I'm lucky to have known David Attenborough for decades and we correspond regularly. We have shared many a meal and drink together and our families all know each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Met Niall Quinn a few times. Always very polite.

I also spoke to Vinnie Jones on the telephone through work. He wasn't really rude but I had to ask him to confirm his name and he called himself Mr Jones instead of just saying his full name. That amused me.

Sometimes it's the lesser famous people trying to be famous that can be arseholes. I met a semi-famous drummer once (lad out of the stereophonics, not the fella who passed away - the one after that) and he seemed like a bit of a dick head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Jerry Seinfeld. He had an air of arrogance about him but he signed an autograph for me and shook my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Forgot to mention meeting Dermot Morgan in a bar in D4. He was extremely arrogant and handing out A4 pictures of himself offering to sign them....

Also met Phil Lynott in The Bailey in early 80's - what a beautiful human being.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Andy Townsend in New York a few days before the Ireland - Norway match at USA `94, Paul McGrath in Silver Springs Hotel in Cork in 2012. Had photos taken with both of them. Met the late Brendan Grace a few times, a sound bloke, the same off stage as on. Also, years before they were famous, I went to school/college with former MEP Brian Crowley and former Hothouse Flowers drummer Jerry Fehily.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

FTA69 wrote: »
    David Meyler - footballer. Used to come to a club I did the door at, a prick to all the staff but chilled enough after we stopped him getting a hiding one night.

Simon Zebo - same club, arrogant swaggering arse but funny and very charming with it too. His dad is lovely.

They used to be regulars of ours until Meyler got barred for being a contant mess, Zebos sound enough but rarely ever calls in now.

Liam Heffernan who played Blackie Connors on Glenroe, had a few pints with him one night a few years back. sound lad but seemed a bit quiet.

Coolio called in for a meet & greet after a gig once, didnt get to talk much as he was mobbed by fans so left him off.

Few reality tv stars like Gaz, Georgia steel Chidgey & cant remember the rest as i dont care too much about them

Theres also a couple of dance music producers i used chat to often, some got famous while others were more known locally. porter robinson being one example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Bill Clinton - charismatic
    Robbie Fowler (wearing roller skates and a 70's wig) lovely chap
    Courtney Kennedy - quite rude
    Aidan Gillen - gentleman
    Karl Spain - funny phooker
    Joe Hanley - quiet guy
    Kenny Daglish - couldn't understand a work
    Charlie Sheen - before his demons got him
    Jack Nicholson - scared the crap out of me

This is where that boards thread comedians who aren't funny gets it wrong. I'm sure he is mentioned loads in that thread but in real life, Karl Spain would be the funniest guy you know. I include really any comedian in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

FFred wrote: »
    I tried to engage in small talk with David Mitchell (Jimmy Doyle in Fair City) at the Urinal in a Finglas pub circa 1997.

He kind of grunted at me, farted and left without washing his hands.

True story.

Met him after a Dub's game in town - what an absolute tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Forgot to mention meeting Dermot Morgan in a bar in D4. He was extremely arrogant and handing out A4 pictures of himself offering to sign them....

Also met Phil Lynott in The Bailey in early 80's - what a beautiful human being.

I would be delighted to have a signed picture of Dermot Morgan.

And I would have loved to have met Phil Lynott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Hurley from Lost was standing in front of me at the ATM queue in Dublin airport one day. We exchanged a few words about how slowly the queue was moving.

I met Nicholas Cage, John Cusack and Vanessa Hudgens at a hotel in Anchorage. They were staying in the same hotel as me when they were all filming a movie in town. I saw the movie after back in Ireland. It was called The Frozen Ground.

I sat in the same row as Jeremy Irons many many years ago on a flight from Cork to London.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Please tell us more about THE rock god!

We are not worthy !!!!!

Really boring TBH. I was working nights in an airport Hotel which he was booked into under pseudonym but I was told it was him coming. He arrived and I checked him in. He signature is a work of art. He was really polite: I understand it's late but is there any chance I could get a drink? If it's not too much trouble, I would be grateful to get a wake-up call please? That sort of thing, just really polite. I checked him out in the morning also, he thanked me and shook my hand, he's just a really polite man.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Joseph Gordon Levitt and Anne Hathaway - I was in a performance with the two of them back when they were shooting The Dark Knight Rises. Both are really sound. I also met some other people in passing during that performance, like Neil Patrick Harris and Gary Oldman, but nothing past a wave or hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Met quite a few over the years, best was probably Lemmy, was writing a tiny rock column for a local paper, tried getting an interview but was told he was only doing national press. Arrived at venue and asked tour manager, he said no, told him we were from North Wales Weekly News (the area where Lem grew up), and that if he changed his mind we'd be in the bar. Pint hadn't even touched our lips and tap on the shoulder, Lemmy wanted to see us. Spent half an hour talking about my local area.

Dave Grohl was awesome, so nice. Ozzy didn't know what day of the week it was and this was 15yrs ago :pac::pac:

Probably the nicest guy i've ever met was Henry Rollins, spent an age chatting to him when i snuck backstage at the Sabbath reunion gigs.

Worked the doors back in Wales for 15yrs and in that time we had plenty of personal appearances, the biggest dickheads always seemed to be the reality tv stars, a few that had just come out of the big brother house, complete dicks

Sophie Howard, her with the big boobies did a PA at our club and being Head Doorman i assigned myself to her, someone had to do it, showed her the dressing room, she offered me a drink and lit up a smoke, then without a seconds thought she started to get changed, told me i'd probably seen them a million times :pac::pac: Was backstage at Download a few months later and heard a female shouting "SCUDDDD", it was Sophie, had a chat and watched a couple of bands together. Bang on she was

Lars Ulrich was a bit of a dick, as was Dave Mustaine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

branie2 wrote: »
    Payline McLynn after was she performing in a play. She was very nice.

Called up to a friends house about 2 years ago and she was sitting in his kitchen having a cup of tea, turns out he took on some ex battery hens as pets and it was her who delivered them to the house. Really nice in person and stayed for a few mins for a chat. My mate was still in shock for a few weeks afterwards, imagine opening your door and Mrs Doyle standing there, same lad is an avid Fr Ted fan :)

As for myself, I've met a few.

Ronnie Drew, met him in a pub in Dublin one evening. Went over and said hello Ronnie and he told me to F*$k off and come back and address him properly which I did (Hello Mr Drew) and we sat down for a pint and a chat. An absolute gentleman and true Dub, full of wonderful stories.

David Kelly, Met him in the Ilac center one day. Again a nice man but I didn't stay too long as he was shopping and didn't want to bother him.

Paul O Connell, I've met him a few times over the years. A giant of a man but always had time to say hello to anyone who wanted to say hello.

Drank in the same pub as Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, wanted to go over and say hello but decided to leave them alone, they hadn't really been noticed so I wasn't gonna be the one to draw attention to them.

Seen Alf from Home and Away in a petrol station a few years back and was remarking to friends later how Id seen a lad who was the head off him. Turns out he was doing a tour of Ireland at the time.

Finally, I was sitting 10 feet away from Sting in a restaurant a few weeks ago. Took me a while to figure out who he was and while staring he caught me and just smiled back at me, As I was leaving I finally figured out who he was and gave a polite nod. Again, I didn't want to blow his cover as nobody else seemed to have copped him. 20 mins later when we passed back again he was swamped..

There have been plenty other encounters over the years but thats all for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I used to skateboard with Bam from Jackass before he did Jackass (he was a semi pro skateboarder at the time). The girl he went out with during most of the Jackass period used to go out with my good friend. We often would film ourselves skating and then he started filming him and another guy just driving around in a van and running over bushes and stufr and we were all like, 'whats he doing that for, looks really stupid.' He was quiet back then. Met him years later in a pub and he just blanked me and was basically just acting up to the image he created and hitting on all the stupid college girls that were there. Had a Lambo parked on the footpath outside

The same pub ran a Texas hold em tournament and one night I played with Ryan Dunn who I'd never met before and he was really sound, everyone knew he was at this point but there was no airs about him, I was sat to his left and he just shook my hand and was like, 'Hey I'm Ryan.' When he found out I worked at the local animal shelter we talked about dogs a bit. He was very chill that night, was sad to hear when he died but obviously the guy had a pretty wild side too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

When I worked in a restaurant, served a number of Irish celebs

Hector, The Frames, Madge from Neighbours, Mick Lally, Sharon Ni Bheoilan(although she didn't tip) were all pretty sound.
    Tommy Tiernan was a little bit difficult, but alright. The lad who does Dunphy in Apres Match was a pr!ck
    Also served Hollywood actor Aidan Quinn, who was a gentleman

In more recent times, have met John O'Shea who is a ridiculously nice guy

And the one monumental bellend who deserves a mention is Cillian Murphy, absolute diva, and was exceptionally rude.

Would be interested to hear the details about Murphy, love his work but he seems a bit up himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Oasis: Liam Gallagher is a very sound man. Noel Gallagher is more stand-offish but sound. Dedicated a song to me at a gig abroad which was good. Bonehead - legend.

Stone Roses, briefly. Seemed sound.

Paul McShane. Had pints. Bang on.

John Giles and Liam Brady. Sound.

Never met Bono but I did meet his son at a gig a few weeks ago and he seemed alright. Good singer too.

Met a few more, too. Cant really think of one that stood out as being a prick.

Why did Oasis dedicate a song to you?! That's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

John Hume
    Ron Jeremy
    Kenny Dalglish

All sound

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Demolished two bottles of rose in a north of England hotel one night about ten years ago with Fiona Spence (Celia in 'Home and away', perhaps better known as Vera 'Vinegar tits' Bennett in 'Prisoner Cell Block H').

Lovely woman. Mother from Clare. We had a right laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Gerry Daly at the Spring show in the RDS many years ago. I had my picture taken with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Met TJ Reid today and he is an absolute gentleman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Porklife wrote: »
    Why did Oasis dedicate a song to you?! That's amazing!

Not as impressive as Blur naming a song after you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Van Morrison outside what was cooks restaurant years ago. Pig ignorant man, you could tell he taugh we were something he stepped in, years later working in a venue his assistant cleared the whole backstage crew from the stage set up so he could arrive and not have anyone look at him. Absolute wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Jonathan Burns, comedy contortionist. He's funny.

Castor Semenya; she was having breakfast in a small hotel in London.

Greg Rutherford; posing for pics and signing autographs. He seems nice. Outside the stadium they had a reconstruction of his winning long jump where you could test yourself against his distance. It's inhuman how far he can jump.

Juan Pablo Villalobos, a Mexican writer.

John Martin, comedian who wrote for Ken Dodd. He's hilarious.

Trevor McDonald was a few seats away from me at Wimbledon. I didn't speak to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have seen quite a few famous people but I would just leave them to it (Zac Efron, Ellen)
    The only celebs I have met and chatted to are Liam neeson (a lot of times - nice guy he went to school with my dad).
    Aidan Turner really sound not big headed had a night out in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Jack L is an absolute gentleman to meet.
    Played a request for me at a gig after my friend asked him.
    Got a lovely photo with him, just a sound soul.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Met Gabriel Byrne one day in San Diego, what a cool mother fuc*ker he was

Georgia Salpa in some yuppy restaurant in Dublin about a decade ago. She complimented me hat at the bar. Took me a wag of the tail or two to cop on to who she was. Chatted for ten or so minutes. Sound as the proverbial pound. Really nice wan.

Met some fella from the Arctic Monkeys or one of those million and one bands that were all the same a few years back. I had no idea who he was, me friend did. He was an absolute weapon.

Met plenty of sports people when younger, mainly autograph, photo, that sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Got a short putting lesson from Christy O'Connor Jr at some corporate thing years ago. He was an absolute gentleman.

Advertisement