Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

520 SE auto, am I mad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Outside of M-Sport seats/wheel that's a very standard spec 520d.
    If it were me, I would be looking for one with Xenon lights, larger display screen & folding mirrors.

At that age, 8 yrs old, buying private will give better value IMO.

M-Sport at same price with chain replaced:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520d-m-sport/22555537

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I had a 2011 few years ago ,great car,no issues.

There is a few extras on that car for 2011,sports seats,adjustable suspension,wood trim etc

if your getting a warranty and a bit of discount ,whats not to like?

Whats your current motor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

That engine is an N47 so be well warned of the timing chain issues

blingrhino wrote: »

There is a few extras on that car for 2011,sports seats,adjustable suspension,wood trim etc

Not seeing VDC on that car, doesn't even have heated seats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ongarite wrote: »
    If it were me, I would be looking for one with Xenon lights, larger display screen & folding mirrors.

At that age, 8 yrs old, buying private will give better value IMO.

M-Sport at same price with chain replaced:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520d-m-sport/22555537

This

Especially the M-Sport part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

blingrhino wrote: »

Currently have an S60 that is on her last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

They aren't M Sport wheels. I've seen a lot of cars with this spec, SE with shadowline trim, M Sport interior & those wheels. Have never seen those wheels on anything but an SE with this spec. Was it a package or something at the time?

Regardless, it's a nice looking car albeit a bit expensive. I would class xenons & Pro Nav as essential options but thats personal preference.

millington wrote: »
    They aren't M Sport wheels. I've seen a lot of cars with this spec, SE with shadowline trim, M Sport interior & those wheels. Have never seen those wheels on anything but an SE with this spec. Was it a package or something at the time?

Regardless, it's a nice looking car albeit a bit expensive. I would class xenons & Pro Nav as essential options but thats personal preference.

Thanks for the reply. What sort of money would you expect to pay for it?

canonball5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. What sort of money would you expect to pay for it?

I think 10k would be enough for it, even out of a dealer. You would pick one up private for a little less again or for similar money you could buy a private M Sport if that tickles your fancy.

It's worth a look and a bit of bargaining. If the timing chain has been done & it's a clean car then it would be a nice buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Pre LCI Xenons could be expensive trouble so you are better off without them, though standard bulbs are pretty terrible.

That car has upgraded seats, sports wheel with paddles, nice options to have, though would echo that the large screen is much nicer.

Look for water ingress (google Yellow grommet) and rust on leading edge of doors by the chrome trim. I'd be amazed if that one wasn't rusting.

I ditched a pristine main dealer 2014 F10 after 8 months with over €3000 worth of warranty work done in the short time I had it, the car was too much of a liability. So you need to be ready for potentially big bills if you are unlucky. That is before you even deal with the timing chain. I'd be doubtful that the warranty would be worth anything either so private like the on Ongerite linked to is a better bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On my 3rd one of those 5 Series models, two 520ds and now a 530d and never had anything major go wrong with them. They are extremely comfortable cars especially the SE but remember these were expensive cars when new and can still be expensive to fix when something does go wrong. The timing chain problem is well documented as is the EGR cooler recall. Ball joints and track rods are common failures on them too. Make sure any you are looking at have a good service history especially around frequent oil changes as normally the official BMW service interval is too long.

I'd certainly hold out for one that has the adaptive xenon headlights and heated seats if you can which were optional back then. BMW halogen headlights are absolutely terrible and it feels like you only have a set of candles in front of you. Xenon bulbs are expensive but they offer superior light and if you subscribe to BMW-First.ie then free replacement bulbs including xenon are included in the basic €5 a month package. Heated seats are also handy in winter rather than sitting on cold leather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

I currently have a 151 520d and had a 2011 520d SE. In addition to the timing chain issue I would look out for the following.

DPF Diesel Particulate Filter. (Usually packs in around that milage)

EGR Valve. I had an issue where diesel fume found their way into the cabin in slow traffic or at traffic lights. A hairline crack on the EGR valve was the cause and is a known issue.

Lovely comfortable car but can be costly to run when the miles go over 100K.

Just a follow up on this. I went to see it last night and it is immaculate. Full Frank Keane service history with one previous owner. The dealer is checking today with Frank Keane about the timing chain and if it has been replaced. I'm taking it to my own mechanic tomorrow morning to get it checked over. Hopefully if we can agree a price, I'll have it early next week.

Another M-Sport if you’re interested.
    Xenon with high beam assist. Front & rear climate control and heated seats. Folding mirrors too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22140818

Another M-Sport if you’re interested.
    Xenon with high beam assist. Front & rear climate control and heated seats. Folding mirrors too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/22140818

Almost 150k miles though, not worth that.

millington wrote: »
    Almost 150k miles though, not worth that.

Exactly my thoughts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Should "timing belt done" put someone at ease or set alarm bells ringing? I guess it comes down to if it was done well and no longer an issue.

ChewyLuey wrote: »
    Should "timing belt done" put someone at ease or set alarm bells ringing? I guess it comes down to if it was done well and no longer an issue.

'Chain'.

You would be mad buying one of these at this age is it hasn't been done. The BMW FSH helps but the long oil change intervals are part of the problem. This car could have had only 4 oil changes.

If it was done recently and you change the oil every year (not BMW's 2) then you should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

After hearing some horror stories I wouldn't bother with 2.0

Cant beat 3.0d

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-5-series/22350668

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

What year/plate is "safe" from these issues? 132 onward?

• Advertisement

^ Jesus wept, that state of that advert.

Late 14, early 15

^ Jesus wept, that state of that advert.

seller is woman I guess ? that explains few things.

Late 2014 the N47 was replaced with the B47, though later N47 were fitted with modified parts. Jury is out if the problem was ever solved, even with the B47. Long oil intervals are a big part of the problem as the N/B47 do not have large oil capacities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

anyone have any idea if BMW provide replacement car for EGR cooler recall? I've been told it will take a few weeks for checking in and could be a few weeks for job to be done due to backlog.

(not sure why they would check it in in the first place if there is a backlog but thats another conversation)

anyone have any idea if BMW provide replacement car for EGR cooler recall? I've been told it will take a few weeks for checking in and could be a few weeks for job to be done due to backlog.

(not sure why they would check it in in the first place if there is a backlog but thats another conversation)

They do, just don't expect like for like.

UPDATE:

Well after getting the car checked over and getting what I think was a fair price I picked the car up over the weekend. I'm delighted with it, the comfort and pick-up are excellent and I'm very happy with it on first impressions.

Advertisement