Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seat cut too long?

• 22-07-2019 12:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

hello Folks,

1 question out of curiosity please.
    he has made the birdsmouth rafter seat cut for the purlin 4 inches, but the purlin thickness is only 3 inches. This in effect means the bottom inch of rafter has no bearing. I always thought the heel needed to be fully grounded as this is where the maximum strength is.
    Rafter is 13 foot from purlin to ridge. Also as his saw was a small bladed one, he had to overcut the rafter in order to knock out the complete birdsmouth piece.
    All in, Im wondering will this have any effect on the structural integrity of the rafters or will it really make no difference?

Thanks a lot,

John.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

johney wrote: »
    hello Folks,

he has made the birdsmouth rafter seat cut for the purlin 4 inches, but the purlin thickness is only 3 inches. This in effect means the bottom inch of rafter has no bearing. I always thought the heel needed to be fully grounded as this is where the maximum strength is.
    Rafter is 13 foot from purlin to ridge. Also as his saw was a small bladed one, he had to overcut the rafter in order to knock out the complete birdsmouth piece.
    All in, Im wondering will this have any effect on the structural integrity of the rafters or will it really make no difference?

Thanks a lot,

John.

Your Engineer should inspect and confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Do you mean wallplate?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,822 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hello Folks,

Thanks a lot,

John.

pics or sketches as this is all very hard to understand???

its not unusual for the end of the rafter to be effectively cantilevered to form an overhang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Depending on the size of the rafter but generally the rule is thumb is that the birds mouth doesn't eat in to more than 1/3rd the depth of the rafter so if it's s 6x2 no more than 2 inches of a birds mouth depth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭johney

thanks lads,

its not on the wall plate but at the purling supporting the rafters. Rafter length 21 foot. Purlin 9 foot in from wall plate, 13 foot down along rafter from ridge.
    Rafter seat cut for purlin 4 inches. Purlin 9x3.

• Advertisement

What size rafter 5x2. 6x2 .7x2. 9x2

• Subscribers Posts: 41,822 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thanks lads,

its not on the wall plate but at the purling supporting the rafters. Rafter length 21 foot. Purlin 9 foot in from wall plate, 13 foot down along rafter from ridge.
    Rafter seat cut for purlin 4 inches. Purlin 9x3.

what size rafters?

the rafter should not be cut more than 1/3 of the depth.

And what pitch roof
    It'll be easy enough to figure out what size seat cut is allowed then one rafter size is determined
    Hips will generally have more cut out due to keeping top edge on the same plane . Don't any one go quoting dihederal angle planes here to allow depth😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It is hard to say for sure without seeing the exact situation but if I was a resident engineer on a job and I saw that i would be saying "no. substandard workmanship. Take it out and replace" . You basically will have an inch gap between the side of the purlin and the lower part of the rafter! Anyone seeing that would be like WTF?

Golden rule - measure twice, cut once. Insist that it is changed at his expense. He will be more careful the next time.

And another piece of advice, be hard here. If the builder sees that you will turn a blind eye to or accept poor workmanship then you can expect the quality of construction to deteriorate even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

And what pitch roof
    It'll be easy enough to figure out what size seat cut is allowed then one rafter size is determined
    Hips will generally have more cut out due to keeping top edge on the same plane . Don't any one go quoting dihederal angle planes here to allow depth😉

The oul Dihedral angle I have never seen anyone every do this to a hip rafter and mean every.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

It is hard to say for sure without seeing the exact situation but if I was a resident engineer on a job and I saw that i would be saying "no. substandard workmanship. Take it out and replace" . You basically will have an inch gap between the side of the purlin and the lower part of the rafter! Anyone seeing that would be like WTF?

Golden rule - measure twice, cut once. Insist that it is changed at his expense. He will be more careful the next time.

And another piece of advice, be hard here. If the builder sees that you will turn a blind eye to or accept poor workmanship then you can expect the quality of construction to deteriorate even further.

You were correct, it is hard to say for sure without seeing and perhaps you should have left it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Well alright then. Did you come here just to say that to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Well alright then. Did you come here just to say that to me?

Without seeing the install you are condemning the roof and advising the OP to fire a shot at the builder.
    And regardless of what actually has been installed your technical appraisal is flawed as well.

OP, what degree is the roof pitch and what dimension are the rafters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kevcos wrote: »
    Without seeing the install you are condemning the roof and advising the OP to fire a shot at the builder.
    And regardless of what actually has been installed your technical appraisal is flawed as well.

OP, what degree is the roof pitch and what dimension are the rafters?

Pls clarify

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement