Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Truck hits Dublin city centre railway bridge

Options
  • 23-07-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/truck-hits-dublin-city-centre-railway-bridge-for-the-second-time-in-four-months-938782.html

I bet this happens far more often than anyone knows.

I was following a tractor with a track machine on a trailer recently. The driver was only interested in the road ahead and wasn't watching his load or the road behind. He drove under a high bridge but his machine was badly loaded and the arm was too high, not by much but enough to knock a chunk of concrete off the bridge fascia down onto the road in front of me. He didn't even know he had hit it.

Any other examples of relatively normal driving with some potentially serious consequences that you have witnessed?

Comments

Entitled motorists not indicating at roundabouts, assuming other road users are clairvoyants.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Entitled drivers not indicating at roundabouts, assuming other road users are clairvoyants.
    I am a mind reader and I expect them not to signal! Currently at over 90%! :D

is_that_so wrote: »
    I am a mind reader and I expect them not to signal! Currently at over 90%! :D

Did the other 10% end up in a heap?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Probably swerving to get away from a cyclist with no helmet or high viz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Entitled motorists not indicating at roundabouts, assuming other road users are clairvoyants.

Be More Wary around those drivers.....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My pet hate is lane changers, who change without doing so safely by just cutting in instead of indicating and waiting to be admitted safely, just had one there forcing me to jam on hoping the car behind me was a good distance which thankfully it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Probably swerving to get away from a cyclist with no helmet or high viz

Why would a cyclist have to wear a helmet all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/truck-hits-dublin-city-centre-railway-bridge-for-the-second-time-in-four-months-938782.html

I bet this happens far more often than anyone knows.

I was following a tractor with a track machine on a trailer recently. The driver was only interested in the road ahead and wasn't watching his load or the road behind. He drove under a high bridge but his machine was badly loaded and the arm was too high, not by much but enough to knock a chunk of concrete off the bridge fascia down onto the road in front of me. He didn't even know he had hit it.

Any other examples of relatively normal driving with some potentially serious consequences that you have witnessed?

Did you report it to Irish Rail, if not you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Drivers who were born without eyes, that's my pet hate.

The ones who cannot see you no matter how little they try.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteMoved from AH to Motors please follow local guidelines!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Yes I’d second that, just in case there was some damage to the structural integrity, they can send their people for a look see.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why would a cyclist have to wear a helmet all the time?

because for some reason it infuriates motorists if you dont

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

well it may not be a railway bridge

however, all bridges should have a number on it to report to Council or NTA

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

because for some reason it infuriates motorists if you dont

Or wearing hi vis on a day like today. If a motorist can't see what's infront of them in this weather they shouldn't be driving. :D

Or wearing hi vis on a day like today. If a motorist can't see what's infront of them in this weather they shouldn't be driving. :D

I would argue if they can't see a cyclist with no lights dressed in black on a dark road at night they shouldn't be driving

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes I’d second that, just in case there was some damage to the structural integrity, they can send their people for a look see.
    Riskymove wrote: »
    well it may not be a railway bridge

however, all bridges should have a number on it to report to Council or NTA

It wasn't a railway bridge, it was a bridge on a bypass constructed about 25 years ago, and yes I reported it. There was more damage caused to the same bridge before it was fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Back in June 2004, George W Bush flew into Shannon airport for a US/EU summit in Dromoland Castle.

For security reasons, he didn't fly the short hop from the airport to the hotel. Instead he traveled by car, and they closed off the (then) N18 dual carriageway for his motorcade.

All traffic between Ennis and Limerick was diverted onto back roads, largely inappropriate for the type and volume of traffic. A truck hit a railway bridge at Cratloe, Co Clare, closing both the road and the rail line. So not only was the main road closed, but the diversion and the rail link. A diversion for the diversion had to be set up, causing chaos for anyone having to travel bwetween Ennis and Limerick (which at the time included Limerick/Galway traffic as the bypass hadn't been built)

https://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0625/51596-bush/
    https://www.rte.ie/amp/51646/

When Trump arrived here last month, he flew by helicopter to Doonbeg. I guess the lesson was learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

Strumms wrote:
    My pet hate is lane changers, who change without doing so safely by just cutting in instead of indicating and waiting to be admitted safely, just had one there forcing me to jam on hoping the car behind me was a good distance which thankfully it was.

Same,see it all the time in CORK

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Did the other 10% end up in a heap?
    No, people just surprise you sometimes!

Advertisement