Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding ticket after Go Safe van

• 22-07-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I'm pretty sure I got caught speeding by a Go Safe van over 3 weeks ago but I've still got nothing in the post. How long does it normally take and is there a time limit on when I can receive it? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Normally about 10 days . Don't know about the time limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

There is no time limit that I am aware of. Usually you get them pretty quickly (within a week).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Time limit is supposedly one year, but they can reapply to get it sent out. If not had within a month I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm pretty sure I got caught speeding by a Go Safe van over 3 weeks ago but I've still got nothing in the post. How long does it normally take and is there a time limit on when I can receive it? TIA
    What speed did your speedometer show as you got close to the van? What was the speed limit? You need to be very close to the speed can before it detects you so unless you were not paying due care and attention, it's likely you slowed down before you got within range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The time limit is 6months less 56days.

The ticket is usually out within 10days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 donotvalidate

highdef wrote: »
    What speed did your speedometer show as you got close to the van? What was the speed limit? You need to be very close to the speed can before it detects you so unless you were not paying due care and attention, it's likely you slowed down before you got within range.

It was an 80km zone and my speedo was reading around 90km. I'll be genuinely shocked if one doesn't show up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was an 80km zone and my speedo was reading around 90km. I'll be genuinely shocked if one doesn't show up!

90 indicated is around 85 really. You may get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Why do people still think that Speedos are always lower by so much, at 80 indicated I reckon I'm 78 true according to GPS and static sign boards

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Why do people still think that Speedos are always lower by so much, at 80 indicated I reckon I'm 78 true according to GPS and static sign boards

It varies from car to car. My current car over reads by about 6 - 8% whilst my husband's over reads by exactly 10%.

Changing your wheels and/or tyres to non spec sized can make quite large differences too.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    90 indicated is around 85 really. You may get away with it.
    An indicated 86 - 88 is about 80 real speed for me in my Focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

There is a couple of mph difference from new tyres to worn out tyres as well.
    People dont seem to realise that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

And here we go again .... speed indicates v GPS speed v actual speed .... 10% below.... bigger wheels than standard.... You shouldn't be speeding..... repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have had a few close calls, in the last year I just use cruise control almost 100% of the time, it will hold the car at 80 -100km/h etc, with whatever small difference there is it means I am always just under the limit.

You must also remember that there is also a chance the van was simply parked and may have either just arrived or be finished doing speed checks and may not be actively monitoring at the time when you passed it.

This guy seems to be using some type of illegal radar detector, and if it was accurate it would have given almost enough time to slow down. I almost got rear ended one day when I slammed on the brakes as I was daydreaming and it was like a natural reaction to seeing the van or garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

Might be a little off topic but they have litter ally been on the N11 everyday for two weeks so I see people reacting to them constantly.

One that I am trying to figure out what happens if your speeding but chsnge lanes. A guy flew past me last week's came around the corner saw the van, slammed the brakes, and moved lanes behind another car. He was about 50 metres from the van when all this happened. Would the van nail him and how would does it track that?

Likewise I see them park in places where they might have 150 metres or more of clear line of sight but don't understand how they can track the position of cars that were speeding that far out and move lanes or over take other cars etc or is the range really short?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

because they are , as u have just stated :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

DaDumTish wrote: »
    because they are , as u have just stated :confused::confused:

Yeah but not by this mythical beast of "All speedometers over read by 10%"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Yeah but not by this mythical beast of "All speedometers over read by 10%"

I find with mine it depends on the speed.

Between 0-60 mines not that far off 1-2%
    60-100 its a bit further off
    and 100-120 I'd be about 7-8%

Thats going by my satnav, I'd pay absolutely no attention to those static speed readers near schools etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

yeah as above , depends on speed i find its around 5% generally
    but the static readers are pretty accurate .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The go safe van can only capture you right up close. So even if you arrive right on top of them at speed, it's still worth trying to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Reati

mickdw wrote: »
    The go safe van can only capture you right up close. So even if you arrive right on top of them at speed, it's still worth trying to slow down.

Which reinforces thier uselessness but different thread...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Reati wrote: »
    Which reinforces thier uselessness but different thread...

Which would make you ask the question what are the people who do get caught up to? Not looking at the road anyway. Maybe it does a better job at catching drivers that are easily distracted or on their phone than it does people that speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Car speedometers have a failure rating of upto 10% meaning they can read upto 10% off the actual travel speed.
    This over time has been taken as all speedos are 10% over.

Different size wheels, tires, tire profile, mapping, gearing all make a difference to what the car reads and what it actually does.

Both my car and bike are off but both by different margins.

If you do get caught by speed van, what address do they send fine to?

My tax, insurance etc is registered to my newer address.

But logbook still has previous address.

I hope I never got points and don’t know about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It is sent to the address held on the NVDF, which is not necessarily the same as that on the VLC. When you change your address for tax purposes online for example the NVDF is updated as the owners address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I believe it's the address to which the car is registered.

Well I stand corrected as per the above :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I assume it's up to the owner to keep the address up to date and if you don't receive the fixed penalty because of failure to do this you can expect a summons to court.

GM228 wrote: »
    It is sent to the address held on the NVDF, which is not necessarily the same as that on the VLC. When you change your address for tax purposes online for example the NVDF is updated as the owners address.

Thanks, so I assume it’s all ok since my tax is registered to my new address.

I’m going to get the log book updated anyways.

I doubt I ever got a fine, but I’d hate to think I did and don’t know about it

Advertisement