Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract cooling off period?

Options
  • 22-07-2019 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Just to throw up a situation here and it is something that put me thinking and if anyone here has ever encountered anything like it or if there is anything that could be done.

Has any landlord ever signed a contract with a tenant in good faith only to suddenly want to change it within the first week?

I know a situation where a landlord has let a property to a tenant for one year only to have this person's previous landlord (a complete stranger) contact them after tracking down where this tenant went next (next town over), and explain how this individual had been in their words the worst tenant imaginable in terms of property damage, hoarding rubbish, lack of cleaning, damaging and breaking furniture and appliances. Rent was paid on time and always but what use is that if the house is thrashed.

Initially there was suspicions if this was sour grapes by the previous landlord but it has turned out to be a genuine case and fair warning to this individuals next landlord.

I wonder if there is any sort of cooling off period or legal way to get this individual out before he repeats his antics again, to do it in a diplomatic way as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think you can terminate the tenancy within the first six months, before the tenant gets part 4 rights. A fixed term lease which has been signed by both tenant and landlord may be more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Dav010 wrote: »
    I think you can terminate the tenancy within the first six months, before the tenant gets part 4 rights. A fixed term lease which has been signed by both tenant and landlord may be more difficult.

Signed for one year. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

There really should be a national register of renters and landlords, something similar to a credit check, the NRTB is totally aligned against landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Very Nice of the old landlord to do that. Most landlords will sick the damage up and pay for it themselves as the system is all for the tenant. In this instance im sure the old landlord was left with the bill and didnt want the tenant to do the same to someone else. We really do need a register for tenants like this. I had one myself the stress is un real from such low lifes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is very peculiar that the second landlord didn't seek references. If he had sought references and was given the contact details of the previous landlord, he would have found out the tenant history before committing himself to a lease. If he had being given forged references it would make the lease voidable and there are quite likely be a criminal case against the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It is very peculiar that the second landlord didn't seek references. If he had sought references and was given the contact details of the previous landlord, he would have found out the tenant history before committing himself to a lease. If he had being given forged references it would make the lease voidable and there are quite likely be a criminal case against the tenant.

It's more likely he did seek references and was provided the contact details of a friend of the renter purporting to be the previous LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

banie01 wrote: »
    It's more likely he did seek references and was provided the contact details of a friend of the renter purporting to be the previous LL.

There is no mention of that in the spell O/P. I would expect there would be if that is in fact what happened.

Advertisement