Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Coutinho's agent was interviewed on English radio this morning by Jim White.

I know I'm in the minority but I'd love to have him back for 80 million or less.

Love him as a player, still has so much to offer, we need more creativity and goals from midfield in games against lesser teams, and quality cover / competition for the front 3. I never really begrudged all that much for leaving for Barca.

I think Klopp probably wouldn't want him as he feels leaving when / how he did says something about his character. If that's the case I support Klopp, but I think bringing him back could work.

He's a world class option that could fit seamlessly back in and we haven't spent any money yet this season. He's the type of star quality attacking squad option that City have in the likes Sane and Mahrez that makes them big favourites over us in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

If started scoring goals and helped Liverpool win a few games, ultimately helping Liverpool win the league people would “forgive” him very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Morzadec wrote: »

I think Klopp probably wouldn't want him as he feels leaving when / how he did says something about his character. If that's the case I support Klopp, but I think bringing him back could work.

Yeah part of me thinks that he realises he made a mistake going to Barca and that he is 27 now and wants to kick on and win trophies, he would be coming back with a point to prove. We could get his best years out of him if he signed now and as you said he is a lynchpin type player that can turn tight games when there is 10 men behind the ball. He is a tier 2 world class player so for £80m Id go for it too but I just cant see Klopp going for it after he practically begged him to stay that extra 5 months but got refused. I get the impression that Klopp is a lot more ruthless than his public persona suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is the squad going to America
    Clyne, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Gomez, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Mignolet, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Matip, Kent, Lewis, Phillips, Jones, Hoever, Ojrzynski, Duncan, Woodburn, Wilson, Larouci, Alexander-Arnold, Van den Berg, Atherton.

Atherton plays his cards right he might get a season long contract out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah part of me thinks that he realises he made a mistake going to Barca and that he is 27 now and wants to kick on and win trophies, he would be coming back with a point to prove. We could get his best years out of him if he signed now and as you said he is a lynchpin type player that can turn tight games when there is 10 men behind the ball. He is a tier 2 world class player so for £80m Id go for it too but I just cant see Klopp going for it after he practically begged him to stay that extra 5 months but got refused. I get the impression that Klopp is a lot more ruthless than his public persona suggests.

It would also be a nice reminder for the rest of our stars if he came back that the grass isn't always greener in Spain! Its usually brown cos its sunny a lot:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I like the two year loan idea,prove your worth over a extended timeframe,and you can come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Klopp absolutely is ruthless behind it all. Sakho was shipped out ASAP, srktel was only given a few months and replaced, Joe Allen the same.

Even this season, he wasn't afraid to hook Salah off and sub him, even in big games. He did the same time Henderson and even dropped him too.

Klopp has built an incredible team spirit and Coutinho sh1t all over that with his fake injury and media leaks. No way Klopp takes him back into the dressing room IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Just looking online to see how it compares date wise with other international competitions and it seems the same. Is it right that Euro 2020 is being splattered across the continent? The final is in London, the opening game in Rome and they're all over the place in the summer of 2020. This is the kind of thing I won't believe is true until it's actually happening.

I love the idea in theory to be honest - I mean, no-one really has an issue with the US or Brazil hosting something (in terms of scale, rather than stadium infrastructure), but Europe is much smaller than both, with better transport links in many cases (trains are an actual possibility, where they're a disaster in the US, and non-existant in Brazil).

The only issue is playing matches in the really extreme outlier locations like Azerbaijan.

I'd love if they kept doing this sort of approach down the line, but kept it to clusters of countries... Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

Lads, I would hate to see coutinho rejoin.
    He kicked the club in the balls when he forced his way out. He faked an injury, pretty much went on strike and said fcuk you to his team mates. He was begged to stay till the season ended and was gonna be left go then, with Klopps blessing but no.
    The guy is a weasel and I think it would be bad for morale to bring him back onto a dressing room built on team spirit.

It's a hard no from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Does anyone actually believe that Klopp would allow him back if he was as disruptive as rumoured while trying to engineer a move?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Klopp will not forget how he left.
    Klopp will not take him back for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I don't think you'd get as good a player as cputinho for the same money, and atm I don't see the team winning the league, City have strengthened and we haven't yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Atherton plays his cards right he might get a season long contract out of it.

Do you mean on loan? He signed a contract extension already this summer with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

brevity wrote: »
    If started scoring goals and helped Liverpool win a few games, ultimately helping Liverpool win the league people would “forgive” him very quickly.

Honestly he hasn't been the same since the back injury right before he left us. Back injuries are hard to manage long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

8-10 wrote: »
    Do you mean on loan? He signed a contract extension already this summer with us

Assume he meant Andy Lonergan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Sofa Spud

Does anyone actually believe that Klopp would allow him back if he was as disruptive as rumoured while trying to engineer a move?
    Nope, no way. Klopp is all about getting the right characters and team cohesion - look at the quality of human beings he's brought in and who he kicked out.

I'm at peace with the fact that there won't be big name hires and a focus on the development of youngsters - the applecart is steady and the future looks bright....

.G. wrote: »
    Assume he meant Andy Lonergan.

I meant Pepe actually :)

Huddersfield have signed Grabra on a season long loan tonight he signed a new long term contract with Liverpool before joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I meant Pepe actually :)

We’re grand for centre backs. He’d probably just make bits of Salah in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I always got the impression that Coutinho was reluctant to kick up a fuss to get his move to Barca, i just get the impression he wanted the move but he did'nt want to piss anyone off along the way but someone at Barca was constantly in his ear telling him it was the only way.

At the time i was vocal about how disappointed i was that we sold him, i though it was a continuation of the selling club mentality we had built up with the sale of Suarez and Sterling, although as it turned out we became a more balanced team without him and it facilitated the purchase of VVD and Allison.

The problem with him is he is too inconsistent to be considered truely top notch world class playing in a front three, and he just does'nt work hard enough in our system to sit in a midfield three, so that leaves him as backup to the front three, it's an awful lot of money for a lad that will start on the bench more often that not, and at 27 he will have very little resale value.

I don't think Klopp would have him back to be honest and whatever Klopp decides i'm 100% behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I always got the impression that Coutinho was reluctant to kick up a fuss to get his move to Barca, i just get the impression he wanted the move but he did'nt want to piss anyone off along the way but someone at Barca was constantly in his ear telling him it was the only way.

At the time i was vocal about how disappointed i was that we sold him, i though it was a continuation of the selling club mentality we had built up with the sale of Suarez and Sterling, although as it turned out we became a more balanced team without him and it facilitated the purchase of VVD and Allison.

The problem with him is he is too inconsistent to be considered truely top notch world class playing in a front three, and he just does'nt work hard enough in our system to sit in a midfield three, so that leaves him as backup to the front three, it's an awful lot of money for a lad that will start on the bench more often that not, and at 27 he will have very little resale value.

I don't think Klopp would have him back to be honest and whatever Klopp decides i'm 100% behind him.

He consistently saved Liverpool tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Relatively ambivalent on whether Phil returns or not. One thing I will say is that I would prefer have him back than if the alternative was us sitting on our hands and not signing any other attack minded players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Going in Jan when he was cup tied was the real kick in the balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Aside from Klopp feeling personally let down by him leaving and unlikely to want him back, that article that was posted a few weeks back highlighting how he was the weak link in the system and how happy everyone was with the fee makes it unlikely he’ll be brought back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Aside from Klopp feeling personally let down by him leaving and unlikely to want him back, that article that was posted a few weeks back highlighting how he was the weak link in the system and how happy everyone was with the fee makes it unlikely he’ll be brought back.

For big money, definitely. But he's a fantastic option if we got any sort of a loan deal.

As far as the impact his return would have on the dressing room, that's one of those things none of us really know. He's clearly still very close with his former teammates, so to be honest I think it would be less of an issue than some make out. I'd pretty much totally trust Klopp on it anyway, whichever way they decide.

• Advertisement

Going to be a lot of John Oliver on this tour by the looks of it.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1150827619128139777

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Best pre season promo video ever!

https://youtu.be/S0XAgVlhAE4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is no way Barca would give us coutinho on loan to buy. He's their record signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

rob316 wrote: »
    There is no way Barca would give us coutinho on loan to buy. He's their record signing

Well Morata was Chelsea’s record signing at the time, and they did the very same thing with him, so there’s precedent for it.

Speaking of him, that’s another player with loads of ability who has been completed slated by the football world. He’s actually a great striker and it’s a matter of time before he proves it again I think. I’ve gone off topic though. :o

Latest rumour is that PSG demand Phil as part of any deal for Neymar, and I can’t imagine he’d be against that move himself. Loads of money, living in Paris, probably wouldn’t be welcomed back to Liverpool if he left on bad terms with Klopp anyway. I imagine he’ll be playing either for them or Barca next season because he’d be no more than a rotation player for us, but if we could get him on loan and Klopp was happy to take him back, I’d be delighted with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Would love to see Phil C back but I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

No manager wants a troublemaker, and would never welcome one back! Whether it's football or any other business. Coutinho won't be going to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

When Fowler came back was one of my best days as a football fan. It didn't matter he wasn't the player he was, he was back and all was well in the world. I'd prefer Fowler came back again than Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

gimli2112 wrote:
    When Fowler came back was one of my best days as a football fan. It didn't matter he wasn't the player he was, he was back and all was well in the world. I'd prefer Fowler came back again than Coutinho.

I think most people would welcome Robbie back as a player, even now!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I hold Barca and the agent way more accountable for how Coutinho left rather than Phil himself.
    He wanted the move but everything else was engineered around him. About the faking injury thing, didn't he not miss a few games for Barca after signing due to the same injury?

If he came back to us, it would not make us worse, give us another quality option and an extra attacking option....plus he also does the grunt work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I hold Barca and the agent way more accountable for how Coutinho left rather than Phil himself.
    He wanted the move but everything else was engineered around him. About the faking injury thing, didn't he not miss a few games for Barca after signing due to the same injury?

If he came back to us, it would not make us worse, give us another quality option and an extra attacking option....plus he also does the grunt work.

Didn't he fake injury in August trying to push a move through but miraculously cleared up when it didn't happen.

I think Liverpool have moved on from him. Would only take back if Klopp really wanted him and on his terms. Barcelona should lose money as well. 2 year loan deal sounds decent.

Thing is he could be a damaged player now. A failed dream transfer could have shattered his confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I don't think I'd ever warm to him again because of the way he agitated for a move away. His agent going on like Liverpool are his one true love is winding me up the wrong way too.

That said, I'd take him on loan for a year or two as he could do a job, but ship him right back at the end of it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I had the feeling that the move wouldn't work out for him, he's not a fit for Barca's style and not flamboyant enough to usurp some of the other players there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Tickets on sale today for 1st part of season.

My mate picked up the tickets and got me 2 for the city game. Happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tickets on sale today for 1st part of season.

My mate picked up the tickets and got me 2 for the city game. Happy days :)

only got 3 games on my card last season so I'm at the bottom tier still, have to wait till Thursday morning. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

martyos121 wrote: »
    We’re grand for centre backs. He’d probably just make bits of Salah in training.

SoreFrenchCopperhead-small.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So..... anyone else bored?

rob316 wrote: »
    only got 3 games on my card last season so I'm at the bottom tier still, have to wait till Thursday morning. :(

Ahh that sucks :(

I see our erstwhile rival's goalkeeper has decided to console himself with a very handsome wage rather than chase glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Liverpool have moved on, we don't need Couthino, nor is he worth anywhere near the amount of dosh we got for him. His not coming back and rightly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Re Coutinho whatever Klopp decides will be the right decision.

He knows the player and his attitude. He knows his current dressing room.

Whatever he decides will be the right option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

FYI

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/illegal-streaming-of-premier-league-soccer-to-be-blocked-before-new-season-kicks-off-38316573.html

Irish people will find it much harder to locate illegal TV streams of live English Premier League football matches when the 2019/20 season kicks off next month.

Yesterday in the Commercial Court, the Football Association Premier League Ltd was granted Ireland's first order compelling internet service providers (ISPs) to block live streaming of matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

gafferino wrote: »
    FYI

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/illegal-streaming-of-premier-league-soccer-to-be-blocked-before-new-season-kicks-off-38316573.html

Irish people will find it much harder to locate illegal TV streams of live English Premier League football matches when the 2019/20 season kicks off next month.

Yesterday in the Commercial Court, the Football Association Premier League Ltd was granted Ireland's first order compelling internet service providers (ISPs) to block live streaming of matches.

Won't VPNs get around that? (Living in Germany, so not toooo bothered.... yet...)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

gafferino wrote: »
    FYI

I read that all right. If sky did a season ticket for all Liverpool games I would subscribe no problem. Its the non-televised games that appeal to people just as much.

The avergae Joe public will prob sign up to sky when blocked. The others will find a way to watch the content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Won't VPNs get around that? (Living in Germany, so not toooo bothered.... yet...)

A good vpn gets around it. Deutsche Telecom are already trying to use the same technology to prevent streaming from various sources... ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I saw someone say they have simply re-embraced MOTD. This is what will happen, people will realise it's not essential to have televised live football in your living room.
    I got rid of SKY Sports/BT a few years back, not necessarily because I couldn't afford it but there were better things I could waste my money on and it wasn't cheap. It's all the packages together were costing a fortune. Don't really miss it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement