Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Shaw back in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,553 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Shaw back in training.

Yeah I'm sure it was said that being taking off was just a precaution so makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Subtle digs lol. It's an ok signing but to imply that hes not a top 6 defender is fairly laughable. If reports are true was City interested in him also ?

If city wanted him they would have signed him.

Also city can afford to waste crazy money on subs

Also there was no digs anywhere, Maguire is what he is, a decent defender. I never said he wasn't a top 6 defender, I actually stayed he would be starter for 2 of the top 6 comfortably.

Whether he is a top 4 defender or not is a different story and time will tell

City wanted VVD and Alexis Sanchez too. How did that work out for them remind me will ye ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My speculative hope on Maguire is that the fee is basically agreed.

There is now some PR stuff to work through, and the finer points of payment structure etc.

We saw the same with AWB - mixed messages on the fee being agreed - and that seeming to be down to just nailing down the finer points.

While i had different hopes for CB, i do hope we get this done now.

City are in a position where they don't need to overpay for players anymore.

They've gotten there via years of pumping lots of money into the club, and creating a structure for their manager, from a Director of Football who follows his philosophy right down through the club.

Without wanting to trigger anyone, its a point we should be trying to reach too. BUT we're a few years behind them, even if we start right now, so we DO need to overpay to catch up. You can afford to turn your nose up at stupid prices once you've got a league winning team established.

Bayern and Juventus are in a similar position. Because they dominate their leagues, they can start going after free transfers, after long term potential, etc. They are adding to a well established structure.

I'd believe City absolutely could beat us financially if they really wanted to. They just don't need too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

If AWB is as good defensively as people say I wonder will Chong be given more games on the right side to develop. AWB will offer a lot more protection on that side so we shouldn't be exposed as much

If Maguie is signed, I wonder who will be captain this season.

It could still be Young from a 'club captain' point of view, but as he (hopefully) won't be starting I would assume we will name a team captain (or whatever term we used before).

DDG and Pogba would be contenders, for differing reasons - DDG depending on contract as much as Pogba I suppose. I think people would prefer DDG of the two for obvious reasons. I think if Pogba stays, and especially if he is getting a new contract (rightly or wrongly) the chances of him getting it improve a lot.

Maguire could instantly jump to the top of the list. He has the mentality and attitude. In terms of outfield players I think he would be the obvious choice. Would be a bit of a statement from Ole too - with Maguire looking to lead a 'new' United and being in charge of pushing a new mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

It could still be Young from a 'club captain' point of view, but as he (hopefully) won't be starting I would assume we will name a team captain (or whatever term we used before).

DDG and Pogba would be contenders, for differing reasons - DDG depending on contract as much as Pogba I suppose. I think people would prefer DDG of the two for obvious reasons. I think if Pogba stays, and especially if he is getting a new contract (rightly or wrongly) the chances of him getting it improve a lot.

Maguire could instantly jump to the top of the list. He has the mentality and attitude. In terms of outfield players I think he would be the obvious choice. Would be a bit of a statement from Ole too - with Maguire looking to lead a 'new' United and being in charge of pushing a new mentality.

I'd be surprised if Maguire was signed and given captaincy right away.

I can imagine Olé will give the captaincy to Pogba to show how important he is to the club and how much they value him. An outfielder too where as I could see DDG being given the vice captaincy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We have no Right wingers in the squad at all really, its amazing.

James can play right wing

Lindelof?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Maguire fee is huge and that will be the focus from pundits, fans and rivals for the first year, the will he wont he discussion. If he is a success then the fee will be forgotten, if he struggles then the pressure will be on.

The main thing I'm hopeful of is that he will improve those around him. Matip has been mentioned, this time last year there would not have been too many lfc fans that would have rated him particularly highly but he is now being raved about. The difference is most likely having a confident, competent partner in VVD beside him. Thats what our defense has been missing, a leader, someone to marshall the players. Lindelof is imo a fine player so he and Maguire could be a very good partnership for the next 5 or 6 years all going well. A competent right full in AWB and a solid centre half in Maguire goes a huge way to filling two really weak spots in our team.

The reality is that barring a complete fudging by him, he will be a significant improvement on Iron Mike and Calamity Jones.

8-10 wrote: »
    James can play right wing

So can lingard and Rashford etc.... He's a left winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If AWB is as good defensively as people say I wonder will Chong be given more games on the right side to develop. AWB will offer a lot more protection on that side so we shouldn't be exposed as much

I'm in the camp of not being too impressed with Chong. He hasn't had many chances granted, but of what I've seen, I can't see him playing much of a role.

He came on late against PSG and had a stinker imo, one or two really bad decisions. Might be harsh basing an opinion on that game mainly but on the other hand... there's nothing that has made me sit up and take notice.

It's disappointing that we haven't really went after someone to give width on the right. I think Lingard, James, Greenwood and Dalot would all be ahead of Chong and think he should be sent on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Sanchez should be tried rw. Played there mostly for Udinese & Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Maguire fee is huge and that will be the focus from pundits, fans and rivals for the first year, the will he wont he discussion. If he is a success then the fee will be forgotten, if he struggles then the pressure will be on.

The main thing I'm hopeful of is that he will improve those around him. Matip has been mentioned, this time last year there would not have been too many lfc fans that would have rated him particularly highly but he is now being raved about. The difference is most likely having a confident, competent partner in VVD beside him. Thats what our defense has been missing, a leader, someone to marshall the players. Lindelof is imo a fine player so he and Maguire could be a very good partnership for the next 5 or 6 years all going well. A competent right full in AWB and a solid centre half in Maguire goes a huge way to filling two really weak spots in our team.

The reality is that barring a complete fudging by him, he will be a significant improvement on Iron Mike and Calamity Jones.

Id agree with this, I am excited to see Maguire alongside Lindleoff. Maguire makes me think of Carrick for some reason. Carrick, for me anyway, wasn't an exceptional player, but he was dependable (generally 7/10) and a great presence in central midfield who could do a bit of everything well. He used to get some stick from the RTE panel for generally playing the safe ball, but that was his role and he played it really well. He was great at keeping things moving.

I think, from what little I have seen and heard from Maguire, he comes across as having a similar kind of character and presence on the pitch. He will hopefully be a more solid, reliable defender. Speed isnt everything, having a good football brain can compensate for that and I think he is at the very least an improvement on what is already there.

I know some people are writing off Matic (Im not), but the thought of DDG - Maguire/Lindleof, Matic/McTominey through the spine of the team pleases me. Its a relatively solid foundation of grounded, hard working, generally consistent players who usually get the head down and do their stuff without any fuss or drama. I am liking the look of the back 4 with AWB and Shaw. United's best teams in the past had solid foundations, conceding less goals puts less pressure on your forwards and puts more pressure on opponents to take their chances.

If it wasn't for the drama that surrounds some of our players and Ole's lack of experience I might actually be a little bit more confident going into the season. Nobody will be able to talk away Ole's very thin managerial CV but maybe it will somehow work out under the conditions at the club. I think the start of the season and building momentum will be key. If the team has something to play for, it wont be hard to motivate certain players who appear to lose interest/focus at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,126 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not a peep of news today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Based on performances and how players have handled themselves while at the club id give captaincey to Lindelof.

Has shown real metal to get into being in the first 11, after such a shaky start.
    One of the few players that appreciates the badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Sanchez should be tried rw. Played there mostly for Udinese & Barca.

I cant see it happening, been at the club 18 months and I think he only played once or twice on the right.

I'd be happy to see him tried on the RW,as it looks unlikely we will buy anyone for the position.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Not a peep of news today.

On road parking in Dublin has had a price hike today.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Screenshot-20190715-153009-Whats-App.jpg

I know this guy talks rubbish and is basically just looking for attention but will post this here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

jayo26 wrote: »
    I know this guy talks rubbish and is basically just looking for attention but will post this here anyway.

Are you talking about yourself in the 3rd person? :P

• 8-10 wrote: »

Good Game tbf :P

Attack the post not the poster :P barred!

Good Game tbf :P

I give it about 8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Trigger wrote: »
    On road parking in Dublin has had a price hike today.

:D

I blame the Glazers.

tenor.gif

John Percy: Can confirm Harry Maguire has told #lcfc management and players he wants to pursue a move to #mufc or #mcfc if the valuation (£80m-£90m) is met. Leicester expect him to be professional if a move doesn’t materialise before the transfer deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

jayo26 wrote: »
    Screenshot-20190715-153009-Whats-App.jpg

Yes, yes he does.

Miguel Delaney - Tier 5 on /r/reddevils (Aggregators, Known sh*tposters and Banned sources).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    John Percy: Can confirm Harry Maguire has told #lcfc management and players he wants to pursue a move to #mufc or #mcfc if the valuation (£80m-£90m) is met. Leicester expect him to be professional if a move doesn’t materialise before the transfer deadline.

Haha so now 90m, tomorrow 110m? End of week 250m?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement