Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Greenwood a very talented boy. So well balanced as a result on him being more less ambidextrous. Prob a season early for him but he’ll get some time this season I think.

Overall positive performance. New boys impressed and team look to have a plan. Opposition obviously very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I like Rojo. Obviously can be rash but is solid and tries some mad stuff. Obviously confident in his technical ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

AWB looks like he will be a great signing for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭xtal191

Did Shaw do his hamstring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

xtal191 wrote: »
    Did Shaw do his hamstring?

He has strapping on his knee so don't think it was his hamstring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Potential title winners?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Liam O wrote: »
    I like Rojo. Obviously can be rash but is solid and tries some mad stuff. Obviously confident in his technical ability.

Rojo's injuries damaged his reputation. If he could recover he would offer a lot but can he do it? Just 12 and 6 games the last two seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭limnam

Potential title winners?

odds on for the perth preseason title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I agree. There have been glimpses of a really solid defender in there, and I don't mind the odd rush of blood in a cemtre half. I think him and Lindelof COULD be a great partnership. But then saying there have been glimpses of a really good defender amidst a sea of sick notes and questionable decision making is equally applicable to Jones and Smalling.

God, I wish we could get Toby...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I hate seeing Smalling on the pitch

Potential title winners?

Perth Glory won the league phase last season so they must have a chance next season to win the overall final series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Gomes and Greenwood look ready for places in the first team squad this season. Chong looks a season or two behind them any time I’ve seen him. A loan move would surely do him the world of good.

AWB looked great for the 45 minutes he played. A real knack of knicking the ball off the attacker in defensive positions and uses his physicality so well. Very early days but I’m excited about him.

I enjoyed the game for what it was.

Such a shame there hasn’t been more signings and more exits.

Edit: Didn’t realize James is so small. He made Irwin look like a giant next to him!

I think Rojo is the worst defender we have.

adox wrote: »
    Gomes and Greenwood look ready for places in the first team squad this season. Chong looks a season or two behind them any time I’ve seen him. A loan move would surely do him the world of good.

AWB looked great for the 45 minutes he played. A real knack of knicking the ball off the attacker in defensive positions and uses his physicality so well. Very early days but I’m excited about him.

I enjoyed the game for what it was.

Such a shame there hasn’t been more signings and more exits.

Edit: Didn’t realize James is so small. He made Irwin look like a giant next to him!

Greenwood with his pace is sure to feature when Ole keeps talking about pace and x-factors.

It will be interesting to see how United use the Europa League and it could be a great chance for players to get experience before Christmas. Guys like Tuanzebe, Gomes and Chong will be probably be kept around until then and could get a loan in January if needed. I think Chong might be better off in 15 minute cameos at a high level where refs will give fouls etc than in a lower league as he is so slight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Phil Jones says hi. He goes blind when attackers run off him.

• Advertisement

Phil Jones says hi. He goes blind when attackers run off him.

I still think he’s better than Rojo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Look, Jones has that thing that every time he goes flying in with his wrong foot, he looks like he's either about to be sent off or go off injured.

He doesn't look nimble enough for the best center forwards and that's down to fitness.

Rojo is a maniac too at times but is the fitter and more nimbler of the two - for those reasons anyone with a bit of kop on goes with him (Rojo).

IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Smalling got rolled up near the halfway line in the second half there by a Perth player he had his hands all over. Only because AWB (if I remember correctly) was there too it would have been dangerous. He's terrible at defending the ball on the ground. Either has his hands everywhere or steps off. Easily the worst imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its depressing that players who could not perform as far back as 2011 first us still playing for us in 2019.

We actually have all of them till they retire wont we

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Smalling got rolled up near the halfway line in the second half there by a Perth player he had his hands all over. Only because AWB (if I remember correctly) was there too it would have been dangerous. He's terrible at defending the ball on the ground. Either has his hands everywhere or steps off. Easily the worst imo.

With VAR Smalling has the potential of giving away numerous penos per game. He has a terrible habit of pulling jerseys.

• Advertisement

Schwanz wrote: »
    anyone with a bit of kop on goes with him (Rojo).

IMO

Here we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Schwanz wrote: »
    Look, Jones has that thing that every time he goes flying in with his wrong foot, he looks like he's either about to be sent off or go off injured.

He doesn't look nimble enough for the best center forwards and that's down to fitness.

Rojo is a maniac too at times but is the fitter and more nimbler of the two - for those reasons anyone with a bit of kop on goes with him (Rojo).

IMO

Jones gets injured easily.

Jones played 49 games over the last two seasons.

Rojo gets injured easily.

Rojo played 18 in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,635 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

xtal191 wrote: »

Think we all saw this coming.

I'd be shocked if any more players come in at this stage.

Ole saying that does not mean players are joining or not joining. It is better for the manager if he leaves it to the likes of Ed to talk about. We saw the hassle it all caused for Jose last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s really amazing how much press our ceo gets.

I couldn’t name one other PL ceo with the exception of Levy but that’s only because he does a fantastic job.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Ole saying that does not mean players are joining or not joining. It is better for the manager if he leaves it to the likes of Ed to talk about. We saw the hassle it all caused for Jose last season.

That’s certainly a positive spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Think ole's showing a bit of frustration aimed at Ed Woodwank there. Mourinho tried that tactic last year and failed.

Its going to be a looooong season if we don't get more signings in

• Fair ****s to Ole

Calling out Woodward somewhat, he's already copping into him like Jose did before him

Shame there will always only be one winner, and not the one the fans want

• Advertisement

• Very disappointed with Lukakus comments to the press

The lack of respect continues and it filters amongst a number of players

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

What he say

• Hococop wrote: »
    What he say

Lukaku " next week you guys will know something " to the press.

Need to double check tho, as that's from Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Need at least 3 players to improve us.. Maguire, a robust defence midfielder and a midfielder that can pick a pass in the final third with a goal threat.. Fail to get at least 2 of those and we have no chance of a top 4 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Fair ****s to Ole

Calling out Woodward somewhat, he's already copping into him like Jose did before him

Shame there will always only be one winner, and not the one the fans want

I don't know, fans were divided last year with Jose's similar comments won't be the same this time, a bad window and it's all on the board and ed

Lukaku " next week you guys will know something " to the press.

Need to double check tho, as that's from Twitter

Rob Dawson reported that quote.

Not a great comment from Ole regarding signings.

"You'll have to ask Ed" implies that Ole knows what players he wants, has given his targets to Woodward, but for whatever reason it isn't happening. Like it's totally out of Ole's hands now.

What was wrong with Ole repeating the answer he gave about new signings during the week? Something like "We're still working on some targets, these things aren't done overnight".

Maybe he wanted to put a bit of the focus/pressure onto Woodward with his answer today.

Maybe I'm wrong, but any football manager answering that question by passing the buck onto the Chairman/CEO is looking for answers himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭barry194

Not a great comment from Ole regarding signings.

"You'll have to ask Ed" implies that Ole knows what players he wants, has given his targets to Woodward, but for whatever reason it isn't happening. Like it's totally out of Ole's hands now.

What was wrong with Ole repeating the answer he gave about new signings during the week? Something like "We're still working on some targets, these things aren't done overnight".

Maybe he wanted to put a bit of the focus/pressure onto Woodward with his answer today.

Maybe I'm wrong, but any football manager answering that question by passing the buck onto the Chairman/CEO is looking for answers himself.

Maybe he said it because he already answered it a few days ago and nothing has changed since. Think it's easy to look into comments too much that are made quickly this time of year.

Honestly believe we will sign at least 2 more and 3 if we lose Lukaku. No point going on about it until the deadline though, as none of us have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Ole on a hiding to nothing whatever he says

Says something that may or may not happen he gets slaughtered by the press

Says ask Ed hes passing the buck and gets slaughtered by the press

Time will tell but I'd hoped all our signings would have been done before we'd left for preseason

• Advertisement

barry194 wrote: »
    Maybe he said it because he already answered it a few days ago and nothing has changed since. Think it's easy to look into comments too much that are made quickly this time of year.

Honestly believe we will sign at least 2 more and 3 if we lose Lukaku. No point going on about it until the deadline though, as none of us have a clue.

If you can get the internet to stop discussing transfer rumours and speculation until deadline day...well never mind fixing the pot-holes on the roads...you have my vote for that alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I think with his comments, Ole is showing he’s aware that if he puts out too many Club/Ed friendly quotes, then the fans will eventually accuse him of carrying the can for Ed and being a lap dog should things go south in the future.

While Ole has nothing to lose in career terms from this job, as in his CV ordinarily wouldn’t have him close to a Premier League club not least a top one, he knows he can lose his club legend status with fans if he turns into a complete “yes” man and starts saving face for the board at all costs as things go down the loo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He also said something about giving Pogba the captaincy, we deserve everything we get with him as captain

Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

IF the club don't sign anymore players, despite the glaring weaknesses in the squad it will be further confirmation that they're not backing the new manager adequately. It will also be further confirmation of what many of us are coming to believe in that the club do not have any ambition regarding getting back to the top. We genuinely could be looking at a footballing demise not too dissimilar to what happened to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Was Lukaku the only player in the travelling squad not involved as a starter/sub today?

Was there any reason given? Wonder if Rom asked not to be selected and the club agreeing so they can get him moved on to Inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

I watched the last 35 minutes of the match and enjoyed it. Thought the pace the match was played at was similar to a competitive match, which might be down to it being played in the evening local time.

The best thing about a tour in the far east is that you can watch the matches at a more civilised hour than would be the case with a US tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Was Lukaku the only player in the travelling squad not involved as a starter/sub today?

Was there any reason given? Wonder if Rom asked not to be selected and the club agreeing so they can get him moved on to Inter

From sky sports

Lukaku was left out of Saturday's 2-0 win over Perth Glory after picking up a minor injury but Solskjaer expects him to be fit for Wednesday's game against Leeds .

"He should be fit for Wednesday, He trained with the team yesterday but it was not useful today to risk him," Solskjaer said.

Asked if Lukaku would still be at the club when the transfer window closes, Solskjaer replied: "Let's see when the season starts. We have not had any bids that we are considering."

Later, Solskjaer issued a further update, telling reporters "you guys will know something next week".

Lindelof, Bailly and grant also injured

Maybe with the bar set so low, Ole might surprise some people. CL qualification and promising performances. Hell I’d even take the latter. Surely that’s achievable? That’s the bar clubs like Everton aspire to. But for Utd, I think we’ll get neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Maybe with the bar set so low, Ole might surprise some people. CL qualification and promising performances. Hell I’d even take the latter. Surely that’s achievable? That’s the bar clubs like Everton aspire to. But for Utd, I think we’ll get neither.

"To feel big and contented, look down more gratefully and up less longingly."

The Caterpillar, Alice in Wonderland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Daniel James won the fans vote for Man of the Match.

Early days but like many of us said he's the type of player who can easily win the crowd over with his style.

Good start, but we've had good pre seasons that have ended in poor seasons so while I'm happy I won't be going crazy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Scratch that last post.

So Ole said we'll know more next week regarding Lukaku. Again not a fan of those statements.

Either wait until you can say what it is or say nothing. Just my opinion but hate the circus involved with these sort of timelines/deadlines.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement