Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to disclose where my new job is to my employer when giving my notice?

Options
  • 12-07-2019 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I work for a healthcare agency. I'm currently in the recruitment process for a place that I have been working in via the agency.

To give some context, the agency is small but is part of a franchise. The office manager is not the most pleasant person and has actually emailed the place I am moving to about previous employees being poached to work for them directly and accused management of doing so. Even when I went for my interview, one of the interviewers (I hadn't met them prior to the interview) commented on the fact that my current employer was not a referee. And then said, "it's probably best, we don't need to step on their toes. But you know they'll have a heart attack when they find out, if you were to be sucessful".

I know when I hand in my notice that my current manager will ask me where I am moving to, do I have to tell them?

My own logic is that it's my personal business and I shouldn't have to tell them, but I just want to see if legally that's correct? Or if they're even allowed to ask if you don't tell them yourself. The manager is the type to demand an answer. I've had some tell me they aren't suppose to ask but can't seem to find any information on this.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Its absolutely none of their business.Hand in your notice and give whatever notice is required in your contract. After that they can take a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

Tell them you are in the final round of an interview in McDonalds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

I left an employer previously. They were unhappy that I chose to leave. I made the mistake of telling them where i was moving to for my new role. 1st day in my new role and my new boss gets a call from my old boss where he is complaining about me and warning new boss about me. I kid you not. New boss ignored all of what he said but nonetheless it was far from ideal.

I left an employer previously. They were unhappy that I chose to leave. I made the mistake of telling them where i was moving to for my new role. 1st day in my new role and my new boss gets a call from my old boss where he is complaining about me and warning new boss about me. I kid you not. New boss ignored all of what he said but nonetheless it was far from ideal.

Very foolish of your ex employer to do that.

whippet wrote: »
    Tell them you are in the final round of an interview in McDonalds

Tell them straight out it's none of their business. Not a whole lot they can do, make sure to work out your notice and be gone then.
    They have no right to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

yabadabado wrote: »
    Very foolish of your ex employer to do that.
    Guy was a bellend. He was an accountant and barrister and figured he could do as he pleased.

To to Op I definitely say to not mention

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Is there a non compete clause in your contract of employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Is there a non compete clause in your contract of employment?
    Pretty sure they hold no water in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

the_syco wrote: »

The OP mentioned healthcare AGENCY and states that the new job is in a place he has been placed by the agency. In general, such employment agencies will have clauses in each of the employment and client contracts precluding the parties entering into a separate contract to the exclusion of the agency.

The extent to which these are enforceable will depend on their terms but they cannot simply he ignored in Ireland.

the_syco wrote: »

Eh? Peter Marks has successfuly sued on its non compete clauses.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hair-stylist-loses-court-application-1.167451

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,075 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Say NOTHING. You owe them nothing. They were not treating YOU well so I wouldn’t be getting all hot and bothered about contracts and you treating them well. If they ask...you are taking a career break.. won’t even be a lie, I’m sure you’ll have a few days ‘break’ in between employment situations.

Such a non poach contract would be between the hiring company and the agency, nothing to do with the employee.

In any case the OP has no obligation to tell their current employer where he is going. If his manager were to insist I'd politely at first and then not so politely if they persist to go and F themselves.

Such a non poach contract would be between the hiring company and the agency, nothing to do with the employee.

In any case the OP has no obligation to tell their current employer where he is going. If his manager were to insist I'd politely at first and then not so politely if they persist to go and F themselves.

I asked whether there was a clause in the employee contract. There could well be restrictions on working for clients of the employing company for a period after the termination of employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

What a horrible thing to do! Could a case be made for slander/libel? I always heard that employers have to be very careful about even giving a negative reference.

Achasanai wrote: »
    What a horrible thing to do! Could a case be made for slander/libel? I always heard that employers have to be very careful about even giving a negative reference.

Slander and libel are no longer torts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Eh? Peter Marks has successfuly sued on its non compete clauses.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hair-stylist-loses-court-application-1.167451

That's a news article from 10 years ago involving a Circuit Court case, the issue has since been tested in the High Court. General restrictions may be applicable, but are not enforceable.

Whilst the substantive issue of whether the non compete clause of the contract is enforceable where there are specific restrictions has yet to be tested properly in a higher court, more recent judgements of the High Court have confirmed general restrictions on employment within the same or similar industry cast too wide a net and are unenforceable, most recently we have Hernandez vs Vodafone Ireland [2013] IEHC 70:-
    The position which has been adopted by the defendant, namely, that it is not interfering with the plaintiff’s contractual arrangements with 02, that it has not done anything wrong, and that it is merely enforcing its contractual rights, is, to put it mildly, utterly naive

More importantly we have the 2005 High Court case, Murgitroyd & Co. Ltd. vs Purdy [2005] 3 I.R. 12:-
    However, it is also clear that a more restrictive view is taken of covenants by employees than is taken of covenants given on sale of a business. Covenants against competition by former employees are never reasonable as such. They may be upheld only where the employee might obtain such personal knowledge of, and influence over, the customers of his employer as would enable him, if competition were allowed, to take advantage of his employer’s trade connection. . . .

In those circumstances I have come to the view that the prohibition in this case on all competition is too wide. A prohibition on dealing with (in addition to soliciting of) customers of the plaintiff would, in my view, have been reasonable and sufficient to meet any legitimate requirements of the plaintiff. The wider prohibition which restricts dealing with those who might be, but are not, such customers is excessive.

In those circumstances I must view the anti-competition clause as an unreasonable restraint of trade. On that basis I must determine the preliminary issue by finding that the anti-competition charge, while applicable, is unenforceable.

And between those two cases we have Net Affinity Ltd. vs Conaghan & Anor. [2012] 23 ELR 11:-
    The first defendant is completely precluded by the clause from working for any individual or company that provides or plans to provide services similar to that which is provided by Net Affinity. To my mind, the clause at issue in this case is far too wide to protect the legitimate requirements of Net Affinity. It is a clause which does in fact prohibit all competition by Ms. Conaghan in the area of services provided by Net Affinity. As has been made clear in the judgment of Clarke J. in the case of Murgitroyd and Company Limited v. Purdy such a clause is too wide. In those circumstances, I have come to the conclusion that the non-compete clause is void and unenforceable

The problem with these terms is the competing rights, namely an employee's right to earn a living and the employer's right to protect itself. Such clauses will only potentially be enforceable when it is reasonable as between the parties and it is consistent with the interests of the public, that is a principle long held.

GM228 wrote: »

The problem with these terms is the competing rights, namely an employee's right to earn a living and the employer's right to protect itself. Such clauses will only potentially be enforceable when it is reasonable as between the parties and it is consistent with the interests of the public, that is a principle long held.

naturally and it is not correct to say non compete clauses don't hold water in ireland. Clauses which are overly restrictive by reason of the geographical area and duration and industrial scope will be void. I this case the o/p is going to work for a former client and depending on its terms there may be a valid enforceable clause in the employee contract.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You don't have to tell them anything, but don't lie, just say " I'm moving on but staying in the industry, that's all I'm prepared to say about it, it's all I've told anyone if you've heard something different I'm not the source"

Just repeat that, you are being honest and it's best not to burn bridges.

Don't give a reason, be consistent, other people in business tend to twist other peoples words to suit their own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Outcastangel

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm glad that my own view was confirmed.

Regarding the non compete. They do have a non compete clause that states an employee cannot work for a competitor for 2 years after the end of employment. However, after two other employees went to solicitors regarding this clause they were told the contracts were ok to sign because the clause was not legal. (I'm really not sure of the why and hows of that).

But also, after speaking to management in the new place they've told me that they're not competitors as they work together. Another agency or home help company would be considered a competitor

The manager who was accused of poaching actually said they'll think he encouraged me to apply, which is not the case. So I just told him if an issue arises, I'll be reminding them I've free will to apply to where ever I wish to and that of course I'm looking for another job when I am paid just above minimum wage with no pay scale scheme or actual benefits.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm glad that my own view was confirmed.

Regarding the non compete. They do have a non compete clause that states an employee cannot work for a competitor for 2 years after the end of employment. However, after two other employees went to solicitors regarding this clause they were told the contracts were ok to sign because the clause was not legal. (I'm really not sure of the why and hows of that).

2 years is too long. Non-compete clauses have to be reasonable in duration. Longer than 12 months would be exceptional. You don't seem to be particularly senior as well which would make it much less likely to be reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Even where such non compete clauses might apply, there would still be no obligation to disclose where they were going afterwards.

I was asked once by a former employer where I was going and I simply told them I was taking time out to write a book. It was none of their business what I was doing outside of the notice period.

2 years is too long. Non-compete clauses have to be reasonable in duration. Longer than 12 months would be exceptional. You don't seem to be particularly senior as well which would make it much less likely to be reasonable.

Ah ok! Yeah, I'm newly qualified. I started with them during college, just to get some experience and my foot in the door of the industry to be honest. But it's now gotten to the stage where I'm running from the company due to the managers attitude

Even where such non compete clauses might apply, there would still be no obligation to disclose where they were going afterwards.

I was asked once by a former employer where I was going and I simply told them I was taking time out to write a book. It was none of their business what I was doing outside of the notice period.

How does that prove anything? I drove through a red light once and the guards didn't stop me. Does that mean it is all right to go through red lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭rock22

How does that prove anything? I drove through a red light once and the guards didn't stop me. Does that mean it is all right to go through red lights?

It answers the OP's question with an example!

Working for another agency in the same industry does not necessarily put the OP in 'competition' with the original employer and.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

OP

tell them you are going to a different company. Tell them its a company in a different busines line(name someone). Don't get overly defensive as they'll think something is up if you do & might go sniffing and cause you some trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

rock22 wrote: »
    It answers the OP's question with an example!

Working for another agency in the same industry does not necessarily put the OP in 'competition' with the original employer and.

Taking up paid direct employment with a client to which the agency had sent them on contract is the absolute essence of competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭rock22

Marcusm wrote: »
    Taking up paid direct employment with a client to which the agency had sent them on contract is the absolute essence of competition!

How?
    Op is not setting up an agency to compete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think the current employer would have no case against an employee going to work where they are contracted and even if in the contract i think they would find it very hard to enforce in the EU area.

They could though and I see this regularly have a case against your new employer .
    We use an agency all the time in my place and we have a fee we pay the contracting company if we move somebody from their books to ours under x amount of time paying them through the contractor. I imagine the question from your current employer is more about finding that information out so they can pursue your new employer for the likes of a finding fee .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Are you currently working for the new employer through the agency, or were you previously there through the agency? If you're currently on placement there through the agency, then I think the agency would have a case against yourself, the new employer, or both.

Advertisement