Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Would help his development meant to say.

Pau López from Betis was sold yesterday to Roma for 29 million. Not too sure how I feel about it but if It means we can keep on to a couple of the bigger players and add one or two more then I'm happy.

Did he spend a season on loan at Spurs or have I confused him with someone else? He must have developed quite a bit!!

Other done deal - Pontus Jansson has left Leeds. Joined Brentford in a 5.5m deal. Him and Bielsa fell out last season apparently - in the Villa game, it was Jansson who refused to let them walk it into the net - but that strikes me as a big loss for Leeds. Lots of unhappy fans on Twitter anyway.

He did yeah, he has developed in to a solid keeper and spanish international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Who bankrolls juve to this extent the last few seasons?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Who bankrolls juve to this extent the last few seasons?

They're the Man Utd of Italy when it comes to commercial. They're also one of the few clubs who actually own their own (modern) stadium and can make money out of it. Add to the money from winning 8 titles in a row and going deep in the CL most years and it all adds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

More like Barca thought they could get him for €120m, but Atleti are claiming the original release clause of €200m because negotiations occurred before July 1st when the release clause dropped.

If Barca pay it up front they'll take €120m. It's funding their new guy!

is_that_so wrote: »
    If Barca pay it up front they'll take €120m. It's funding their new guy!

Have you seen the official statement from the Atleti President? And also it's a release clause, so it HAS to be paid upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Jay Rodriguez from West Brom to Burnley confirmed.

Have you seen the official statement from the Atleti President? And also it's a release clause, so it HAS to be paid upfront.
    Yeah, it's a Spanish club president. They all do that drama. What can he do? Griezmann wants to go. An apology, maybe a condemnation and a fine and the €120m in cash should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah, it's a Spanish club president. They all do that drama. What can he do? Griezmann wants to go. An apology, maybe a condemnation and a fine and the €120m in cash should do it.

Griezmann would not be the first player in history to be told to shut up and get on with it, it that was to happen.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Griezmann would not be the first player in history to be told to shut up and get on with it, it that was to happen.
    I think they've made their own statement by signing Joao Felix. They need money for that so he'll go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They're the Man Utd of Italy when it comes to commercial. They're also one of the few clubs who actually own their own (modern) stadium and can make money out of it. Add to the money from winning 8 titles in a row and going deep in the CL most years and it all adds up.

And the Agnelli fortune too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think they've made their own statement by signing Joao Felix. They need money for that so he'll go.

Giving him Griezmann's squad number is another paint yourself into a corner move.

They also quietly offload players for healthy fees like:

Bonucci for E42m
    Lemina for E17m
    Caldara for E35m
    Benatia for E8m
    Spinazzola for E30m
    Hernanes E10m
    Pereyra E15m
    Morata E30m

All over the last 2-3 seasons amongst others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah I don’t think he will be there either. I’d have my doubts also whether Atletico would win any case in relation to the release clause also.

But like with Neymar, I can see the clubs fighting to compete with Barca etc putting up more and more of a fight to stop players just deciding they want to leave and think that automatically gets them a transfer.

Players have the option to negotiate a minimum fee release clause at the start of their contract. In Spain it’s mandatory so it sounds as if the Griezmann one is down to the technicalities of it, whereas Neymar probably took an extra few quid rather than negotiate his escape clause if required.

You need to read up on how Spanish release clauses work.

Barça haven't had (and won't have) any dealings with Atleti with respect to this. AG has to deposit his release fee (which Barça will give him) with the Spanish league to buy himself out of his contract. When the league cancel his contract he's a free agent and the league gives the money to Atleti. He then signs for Barça as a 'free agent'

In this situation Atleti are claiming that the clause is still €200m as negotiations between AG and Barça took place before July 1st when the clause dropped.

No doubt it will get sorted out, but no money will be moving directly between the clubs.

• Advertisement

You need to read up on how Spanish release clauses work. Barça haven't had (and won't have) any dealings with Atleti with respect to this. AG has to deposit his release fee (which Barça will give him) with the Spanish league to buy himself out of his contract. When the league cancel his contract he's a free agent and the league gives the money to Atleti. He then signs for Barça as a 'free agent'.
    In this situation Atleti are claiming that the clause is still €200m as negotiations between AG and Barça took place before July 1st when the clause dropped.
    No doubt it will get sorted out, but no money will be moving directly between the clubs.
    I'm not talking about the process. I really can't see them getting that €200m no matter how much muttering goes on from Atletico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bonucci for E42m
    Lemina for E17m
    Caldara for E35m
    Benatia for E8m
    Spinazzola for E30m
    Hernanes E10m
    Pereyra E15m
    Morata E30m

Did they not buy benatia for about 30 million before the price explosion a few years ago, so a fair drop in value,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Bonucci for E42m
    Lemina for E17m
    Caldara for E35m
    Benatia for E8m
    Spinazzola for E30m
    Hernanes E10m
    Pereyra E15m
    Morata E30m

Did they not buy benatia for about 30 million before the price explosion a few years ago, so a fair drop in value,

This is more than a little misleading as well given that it ignores the outlay to get those players in the first place.

Bonucci - Sold for €42m, bought back for €35
    Caldara - Bought for €19m, sold for €35
    Lemina - Bought for €9.80, sold for €17.25
    Benatia - Bought for €20 (inc. loan fee), sold for €8m
    Spinazzola - a weird swap deal in everything but name. Roma bought Spinazzola for €30m, sell Luca Pellegrini for €22m though with incentives.
    Hernanes - Bought for €13m, sold for €8m
    Pereyra - Bought for €15m, sold for €13m
    Morata - Bought for €20m, sold for €30m (Real exercised buyback clause), then sold to Chelsea for €66m

Juventus are bankrolled by Agnelli plus money they make from their stadium and recent success in CL and dominance of the league, they have made some decent free agent signings over the last few years but they're no different to Real, City, Utd etc. in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How much do PSG want for neymar? More than they paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

220m, the guy is injury prone and nearly 30 already (seems like only yesterday he was the big new thing).

In other news, poor old Eriksen is being left on the shelf it seems. Off on tour with Spurs as no offers have come in for him.

• Advertisement

In other news, poor old Eriksen is being left on the shelf it seems. Off on tour with Spurs as no offers have come in for him.

Its simple, he's not worth the money that was being touted, nowhere close.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

220m, the guy is injury prone and nearly 30 already

He turned 27 in February so not quite unless 2 & 1/2 years is a short time.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Its simple, he's not worth the money that was being touted, nowhere close.

He can be signed for nothing by a European club in a few months so why pay an unrealistically dumb fee now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's mental.I think Jiminez is a class act so I'm not sure this is a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

xtal191 wrote: »

Innnnteresting! Better fit for them than he would have been at Everton. They already have great options up front too, so can manage his game time after all his recent injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wolves were the one team I expected to make a lot of moves this summer to try and break into the top 6 so far that's the link I've seen with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,481 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If they can complete that move for Costa and keep him fit and motivated, Wolves are very much in the race for a top 6 spot, Leicester too. Those are a couple of really nice squads with good managers.

You’d expect City and Liverpool to fight for the title once again and pull away from the chasing pack, but the battle for the four places beneath them is starting to get really interesting. I fancy Leicester in particular to have a crack at it if they spend the Maguire money wisely, assuming he leaves at all.

This is more than a little misleading as well given that it ignores the outlay to get those players in the first place.

Bonucci - Sold for €42m, bought back for €35
    Caldara - Bought for €19m, sold for €35
    Lemina - Bought for €9.80, sold for €17.25
    Benatia - Bought for €20 (inc. loan fee), sold for €8m
    Spinazzola - a weird swap deal in everything but name. Roma bought Spinazzola for €30m, sell Luca Pellegrini for €22m though with incentives.
    Hernanes - Bought for €13m, sold for €8m
    Pereyra - Bought for €15m, sold for €13m
    Morata - Bought for €20m, sold for €30m (Real exercised buyback clause), then sold to Chelsea for €66m

Juventus are bankrolled by Agnelli plus money they make from their stadium and recent success in CL and dominance of the league, they have made some decent free agent signings over the last few years but they're no different to Real, City, Utd etc. in reality.

I wasn't trying to mislead by saying they get more in that they spend, I suppose the point I was trying to make they do tend to sell at the right time for the most part. I am a Milan fan so I am in no way trying to praise them too highly here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

On Costa, it's being falsely reported that he has agreed with Wolves, basically because Mendes is his agent

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/1148636108445687808?s=19

• xtal191 wrote: »

I'd argue Wolves are a better prospect than Everton at the moment.
    That's a very good signing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I don't know. Wolves have a good thing going and I don't think they need to be taking a risk on a character like Costa. They have enough financial clout and links now to make more sensible singings. Andre Silva who they've been linked to for obvious reasons would be a much better signing IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Costa could do way more harm than good to Wolves.

• pjohnson wrote: »
    Costa could do way more harm than good to Wolves.

Maybe, he's a bit screw lose at times alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I see Lindelof to Barca on the back of the Indo this morning, first I'd heard of it!

Valencia have confirmed the signing of Maxi Gomez, a great buy by them. 14.5 million he costed and Santi Mina goes to Celta as well. Valencia are coming again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Valencia have confirmed the signing of Maxi Gomez, a great buy by them. 14.5 million he costed and Santi Mina goes to Celta as well. Valencia are coming again.

Hurts west ham tho. Only Chicharito left as a striker and he is apparently tryna be used as a trade to help them get Thauvin.

ERG89 wrote: »
    He can be signed for nothing by a European club in a few months so why pay an unrealistically dumb fee now

I wouldn't be surprised if he has already agreed to join Madrid behind the scenes, and is just seeing out his time until go's contract runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if he has already agreed to join Madrid behind the scenes, and is just seeing out his time until go's contract runs out.

That not illigal?

I don't know. Wolves have a good thing going and I don't think they need to be taking a risk on a character like Costa. They have enough financial clout and links now to make more sensible singings. Andre Silva who they've been linked to for obvious reasons would be a much better signing IMO.
    Fully agree with this. I prefer Jiminez to Costa anyway. Costa is a potential bad egg too, not what you want in the dressing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Costa is nuts on the field but have only heard good things about him off it.

That not illigal?

Only if it becomes public knowledge.

You not think this has happened in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Every single transfer happens illegally these days.

The days of asking of agreeing a fee with a club for a player and then going and offering a contract to a player are well gone these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Personal terms always seem to be agreed before a bid has even been accepted, can't remember the last time you heard the line " the transfer fell through due to the player not being able to agree personal terms", this used to happen a fair bit in the 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Deub

A friend of mine thinks Griezmann will go to Bayern. I wouldn't be too surprised if it happens.

Barca may decide to take Neymar only. Hernandez who have just moved from Athletico to Bayern could also be a factor for Griezmann as they are also teammates in the French national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Personal terms always seem to be agreed before a bid has even been accepted, can't remember the last time you heard the line " the transfer fell through due to the player not being able to agree personal terms", this used to happen a fair bit in the 90's.

It happened, though was later resolved last week with Turnbull and Celtic.

• Advertisement

Deub wrote: »
    A friend of mine thinks Griezmann will go to Bayern. I wouldn't be too surprised if it happens.

Barca may decide to take Neymar only. Hernandez who have just moved from Athletico to Bayern could also be a factor for Griezmann as they are also teammates in the French national team.

Barca would be better off spending either the Griezmann or Neymar money on a manager. A Guadiola or a Klopp. I know it won’t happen, but appointing either would do more for their chances of success over the next few years than Neymar or Groezmann will.

It’s hard to think of two more dislikable personalities than Neymar and Griezmann. They make Suarez look like a decent, well rounded individual

LiamoSail wrote:
    It’s hard to think of two more dislikable personalities than Neymar and Griezmann. They make Suarez look like a decent, well rounded individual
    No, they certainly do not do that.

eagle eye wrote: »

I beg to differ. A face you'd never tire of punching

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eagle eye wrote: »

Don't have a problem with Griezmann particularly, but Neymar's carry on off the field (well, and on the field, like punching a fan) over the past 2 years paints him as a fairly rubbish human being in fairness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement