Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chit chat number nein

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This "lad" business creeping in everywhere now on social media.
    Almost entirely from farmers replying to other farmers just irks me.
    If you're going to reply to someone use their name or even an initial. Using lad just makes you look like a pr1ck trying to degrade that person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Saw my first pine marten in the wild today. I’d say he was a young one.

Some increase in the amount of wildlife in our bog area in the last few years.

I reckon because there isn’t much or any spray being used

Some population explosion with the pine martens. They're a savage predator, if you get to see them up close they've some set of chops on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Serious money in hay alright, but in this country, for every good year, 3 out of 4 years it will rot in the field.
    I got a load of hay this year from a neighbour. Bought it home straight away. Guy that helped me load it said I was mad, there was no rain forecast for a week. It was raining the next day.

"Remember 19176" - must get the teeshirt.:D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Some population explosion with the pine martens. They're a savage predator, if you get to see them up close they've some set of chops on them.

Well I saw one in primary school. A local barber used catch wildlife and visit the schools with them. When he had the school round done, he would release again. It was a great experience as a child. Sparrow hawks, owls, he brought a rat one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I saw some young pine martins on a road in Kilmeedy in Limerick a few years ago. Mother and 3 youngsters ambling along the road as far as a field gate and into the field with them. My first and last time seeing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

They must be fairly common up here because I would see them a couple of times a years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I saw some young pine martins on a road in Kilmeedy in Limerick a few years ago. Mother and 3 youngsters ambling along the road as far as a field gate and into the field with them. My first and last time seeing them.

Saw a platypus cross the road in front of me one evening on the road to a town called Hay, first and probably the last time ill ever see one.

Better living everyone

Saw a platypus cross the road in front of me one evening on the road to a town called Hay, first and probably the last time ill ever see one.

I thought they were rare enough to see alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Was it duck billed ? That's all l rem learning from national school.... duck billed platypus. Not a clue what the means btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Pamplona.jpg

484662.jpg

A participant is tossed by a heifer bull during the first bullrun of the San Fermin festival in Pamplona, northern Spain on July 7, 2019. - On each day of the festival six bulls are released at 8:00 a.m. (0600 GMT) to run from their corral through the narrow, cobbled streets of the old town over an 850-meter (yard) course. Ahead of them are the runners, who try to stay close to the bulls without falling over or being gored. (Photo by JAIME REINA / AFP)
    Insanity and animal cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Pamplona.jpg

484662.jpg

A participant is tossed by a heifer bull during the first bullrun of the San Fermin festival in Pamplona, northern Spain on July 7, 2019. - On each day of the festival six bulls are released at 8:00 a.m. (0600 GMT) to run from their corral through the narrow, cobbled streets of the old town over an 850-meter (yard) course. Ahead of them are the runners, who try to stay close to the bulls without falling over or being gored. (Photo by JAIME REINA / AFP)
    Insanity and animal cruelty.

A heifer bull? Is that the pride bull run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Hon Laois :D

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Field 3 weeks ago
    481189.jpg

Field this morning
    481190.jpg

Field this evening
    481191.jpg

How's it going now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Good good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just did passport application on line. Very handy altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Grueller wrote: »
    A heifer bull? Is that the pride bull run?

:D. I'm sorry but you owe me a new keyboard after that - its now destroyed with coffee ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

whelan2 wrote: »

What do you have to do for a new photo? Do they reuse the old one?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    What do you have to do for a new photo? Do they reuse the old one?

Took a photo with my phone and uploaded it. It was for eldest lads passport. Had to take photo about 6 times before they accepted it. Took about 20 minutes to do the whole thing

I thought they were rare enough to see alright.

Fairly rare alright, havent heard anything about them being under threat though. Koalas are the hot topic on extinction at the minute.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Fairly rare alright, havent heard anything about them being under threat though. Koalas are the hot topic on extinction at the minute.

Can you eat koala? What does it taste like?

• Advertisement

Odelay wrote: »

Never heard of them being eaten but im sure if you horsed on buffalo sauce it would taste like chicken wings, probably wouldnt have the same appeal as crocodile or kangaroo or emu on a butchers counter.

Better living everyone

Eucalyptus- a meaty fisherman’s friend.

A large percentage of them have syphilis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

+1 saw the first wild one here this Spring too. I suppose all the new forestry is helping them. They were getting very in bred about 15 years ago.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

http://www.ladbible.com/community/animals-researchers-have-found-a-group-of-koalas-that-could-save-the-species-20190705?source=lboz

That coincidentally appeared in my newsfeed this evening

Remember seeing this video before, youd hate to see them wiped out there absolutely no harm at all compared to kangaroos whove grown in size and number since the white man landed out here.

https://youtu.be/JfDNkOr0NAs

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »

Going by the skid marks at 19 seconds that isn’t the first one they did that to, whatever they were at.

Going by the skid marks at 19 seconds that isn’t the first one they did that to, whatever they were at.

Dept inspection for tags, I'm guessing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

How's it going now?

Done a good job I think. Small amount of regrowth that I'll run the licker on again when it's high enough.

484731.jpg
    Licked this mess the other day. It's low input permanent pasture. The bottom part of the field is very heavy sprat(as we'd say) so I didn't lick that because it could just burn all. The top is better grazed so I licked that and I'll top the bottom.

484732.jpg
    484733.jpg
    This was a field I licked on the first round. Great kill on the rush but the thistles weren't high enough to hit. I'm trying to get the ole lad to come around to getting a quad sprayer but, eh, let's just say he can be an awkward man. You can see the thistle growing back where the tyres of the tractor flattened them so the weren't topped.

484734.jpg
    484735.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Some great views there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Parishlad wrote: »
    Some great views there!

Not the worst place to spend a day topping/licking!

@MeTheMan, you won't grow thistles on bad ground. I love cutting them lads, getting scarcer every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

the worst thing about spraying them tall thistles is their thorns get harder after being sprayed

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Not the worst place to spend a day topping/licking!

I'd say not! And great satisfaction then when it pays off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

@MeTheMan, you won't grow thistles on bad ground. I love cutting them lads, getting scarcer every year

I must have great land :D

They have been creeping in the last few years but the lime we spread last year seems to have helped them along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Are you sure, we’ve a few whoppers here.

_Brian wrote: »
    Are you sure, we’ve a few whoppers here.

There was a story my father always told about an elderly blind man who was looking for a match for his daughter. So he went with a friend on an ass and cart around to the farms of the potential matches for his daughter and asked the driver to describe what he saw on each farm.

The friend was trying to talk up each farm to the older man but he was disappointed each time.

Anyway, the last farm was being passed and the driver wasn't impressed at all, all he could see was a sea of thistles and told his companion this, expecting him to be as disappointed with the care of the farm as he himself was.

Great, said the older man, we'll go in here and introduce ourselves. The driver was a bit in shock at this but turned in and before stopping the ass and cart, asked the older man if he was sure about this as the land wasn't well cared for.

I am, he said, if it can grow thistles, it can grow barley as well, we'll make the match here.

• Advertisement

Google "Milk Thistle Tea Fertility". :p

Edit: Buford I think there's a rendition of that tale about tying the donkey to the thistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

https://youtu.be/Z6GyT5cV6jw
    The lad from AXA was fairly stumped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jeez. Thanks for posting that video and imo it clarifies why we are paying exorbitant renewal fees.

whelan2 wrote: »

Passport has been despatched. That's some service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

The wife had an accident a few years ago, was with a neighbor and my wife was at fault. There was no dispute over the accident and both cars insured with the same company. The 2 cars were old and low value and insurance company decided to write them off on that basis. After all was settled the neighbor said she questioned the value the insurance company had put on her car and they told her "you know you haven't put in an injury claim"! And fair play she didn't as there was none.

• Advertisement

emaherx wrote: »
    The wife had an accident a few years ago, was with a neighbor and my wife was at fault. There was no dispute over the accident and both cars insured with the same company. The 2 cars were old and low value and insurance company decided to write them off on that basis. After all was settled the neighbor said she questioned the value the insurance company had put on her car and they told her "you know you haven't put in an injury claim"! And fair play she didn't as there was none.

A long time ago I crashed into a woman and it was my fault- fender bender.

By the time everything was done, it was €4200 of a bill and my insurance company slapped a bill for administration of €900 so the claim would be over €5k so they could up my premium the following year, (that was their limit at the time) I’d say a fiver of a claim would put up a premium now. The following year they tried loading a thousand extra on my premium. Last time dealing with them.

You have to read between the lines here. The reality is that a lot of suspected fraudulent claims cannot be proven and the insurance industry have to make a judgement call whether the Garda can proove it or more importantly it is in their interest, costwise to pursue it. They can't say this publicly as every scumbag in the country would cop onto it.
    I know someone who had a minor fender bender with someone. Big claim lodged and the insurance company is dealing with it. Guess what she does for a living - yep, a fooking solicitor. I kid you not.

Ah here..

IMG-20190709-WA0001.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If an investigation and subsequent Court case looks like it might cost 15,000 euro (or more, cause the sky's the limit in Court), an Insurance company will happily settle for 10,000.
    Even if there is clear evidence that the person claiming is negligent to a degree (like admitting their children were not wearing seatbelts, then making the claim because the child was "shaken") they will just pay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Did any farm in the WHPR program get a letter on Greenbreed?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement